The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I have found it easier to work on eliminating one thing at a time. Keep it simple, and you don't have to concentrate so hard.

For 2012 it was flour, and I lost 13 pounds. It helped that flour seemed to give me heartburn. One of the very few benefits of old age - you can't always eat everything you want.

For 2013, my goal is to work on eliminating sugar. That will be harder.

I have three Type I diabetics in my immediate family (brother, nephew, daughter). So am well familiar with the effect of carbs. But they sure do taste good.

On working out, am trying to keep that simple also. I have been doing P90X for 5 years. I am over 60. Have found that during the dark winter days, it was easy to blow it off, as it takes over an hour, and I hate exercising in the dark.

So I bought 10 minute trainer, on the basis that I would be less likely to blow off working out completely if the program was from 10-30 minutes long (you are encouraged to do 2-3 at a time). So far, it has worked. At the very least, my fat is better arranged when I work out faithfully.

For nighttime cravings, I have no advice. Maybe brush your teeth early? I agree it is unlikely you are hungry, probably thirsty or bored.

Best of luck. It is hard, hard hard to lose weight, and harder as we get older.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    The bottom line is THIS:

(1) Whenever you eat carbohydrates, your blood glucose rises.
    (2) This causes insulin to be secreted.
    (3) The insulin removes the glucose by storing it as more fat.
    (4) Without that energy available, you get hungrier and eat more.
    (5) Exercise makes you hungrier yet.
    (6) Calorie restriction always fails in time because it is starvation.
    (7) If you're already insulin-resistant (diabetic), it's even harder to have any effect on this process.

What WILL help:

(1) Cut out ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING made with flour or sugar NOW. That includes almost 100% of packaged, processed food.

(2) Restrict fruit as well--most of it is about 65% sugar

(3) Eat freely of meat, fish, poultry, cheese, nuts, and ALL GREEN, non-starchy vegetables.

(4) Drink pleny of water and watch the fat melt off.

(5) If you're on meds for diabetes, you're going to have to be monitored through this process; but it WILL work if you resolve to eat this way for LIFE!!!

The standard, thoughtless American diet has over the last 25 years mutated to the point where most of it has minimal nutrition and maximum empty calories. At the same time, we have stopped eating the (animal) food groups which for millions of years were what we actually EVOLVED to eat. The result is the crashing health of millions of Americans that you see.

If the "conventional wisdom" is telling millions of people to do something, and they are doing it, and across the board getting fatter and sicker by the minute--fer chrissakes, do something ELSE because their "theory" by definition is WRONG.

(And if you knew how little legitimate science backs up ANY mainstream "dietary" wisdom, you'd just DIE! You can solve your problem starting today, but you MUST DARE to think outside the "box" of BigAg/BigPharma's propagandists!)

For further reading: http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat...to+do+about+it

Best of Luck!
    This...you have to be willing to cut out as much processed food as possible. I mostly eat fruits, vegetables, and meat. I still eat bread, I just buy local bread..in other words, not the packaged kind that has a gazillion chemicals to keep it soft. I do not touch soda..I don't care if it's regular or diet..no thank you. I buy lots of good teas at Whole Foods including Dark Chocolate, Acai Berry, etc..and make them without added sugar....I drink those and I am hooked on Kumbocha....Between Kumbocha and Red Peppers, I'm probably going to go into bankruptcy. I exercise daily....Running has been great for me. Granted, I still weigh 148 on a good day and 152 on a bad one...but, I wear a 4-6 in clothing..so I try not to stress about the pounds. I'm getting ready to start weight lifting again 3 times a week..now that I bought my own four sets of free weights.

2 members found this post helpful.

Me!! I'm pretty young and need to get healthy so I can take advantage of my youth! I've had this problem since I was little, caused by bad eating habits, sure, but since then I've had no luck with getting it off. I've tried Weight Watchers twice, counted calories for months on end, have dabbled in different exercise programs but have been going consistently 3-4 times a week since January 2012. No change! I feel better and am definitely stronger, but in terms of weight loss, inches lost, or anything like that it's virtually nothing. I also make a very conscious effort to eat as healthy as I can and have stopped going out to eat as often as I did before, very rarely now, and always choose healthy when I do go out. I've seen a doctor about trying the Lap Band surgery, but he said I needed to lose 20 pounds first. (Hello?! If I could lose 20 pounds I wouldn't be asking to be considered for the surgery!) But I've seen another doctor since then who thinks I am a good candidate and I've taken the first step in doing that and trying to work with my insurance company and all of that fun stuff! It may not be the best choice for everyone and simply changing diet and exercising may work for some people but it hasn't for me! I'm ready to have an entire lifestyle change and am ready for all of the challenges that come with such a big change. Anyone else considered weight loss surgery or actually had it done?

The bottom line is THIS:

(1) Whenever you eat carbohydrates, your blood glucose rises.
    (2) This causes insulin to be secreted.
    (3) The insulin removes the glucose by storing it as more fat.
    (4) Without that energy available, you get hungrier and eat more.
    (5) Exercise makes you hungrier yet.
    (6) Calorie restriction always fails in time because it is starvation.
    (7) If you're already insulin-resistant (diabetic), it's even harder to have any effect on this process.

What WILL help:

(1) Cut out ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING made with flour or sugar NOW. That includes almost 100% of packaged, processed food.

(2) Restrict fruit as well--most of it is about 65% sugar

(3) Eat freely of meat, fish, poultry, cheese, nuts, and ALL GREEN, non-starchy vegetables.

(4) Drink pleny of water and watch the fat melt off.

(5) If you're on meds for diabetes, you're going to have to be monitored through this process; but it WILL work if you resolve to eat this way for LIFE!!!

The standard, thoughtless American diet has over the last 25 years mutated to the point where most of it has minimal nutrition and maximum empty calories. At the same time, we have stopped eating the (animal) food groups which for millions of years were what we actually EVOLVED to eat. The result is the crashing health of millions of Americans that you see.

If the "conventional wisdom" is telling millions of people to do something, and they are doing it, and across the board getting fatter and sicker by the minute--fer chrissakes, do something ELSE because their "theory" by definition is WRONG.

(And if you knew how little legitimate science backs up ANY mainstream "dietary" wisdom, you'd just DIE! You can solve your problem starting today, but you MUST DARE to think outside the "box" of BigAg/BigPharma's propagandists!)

For further reading: http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat...to+do+about+it

Best of Luck!
    The short form
    stems and leaves no fruit roots or seeds
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I think losing weight is all about will power. Which is why it's so difficult!

I think my diet is pretty healthy, we cook every night and almost never eat processed / packaged food. I never liked sodas or sweets (except dark chocolate), and I only drink water and the occasional glass of red wine. But wuth the cold weather and the holidays, I eat more, I exercise less, and I now need to lose about 10 pounds. It's the same thing every year!

For me the key is:
    - Regular, VARIED exercise, every single day. Just walking for 30 mn on the (hilly) streets in my neighborhood, if anything, but also taking advantage of classes at the gym (zumba, pilates, body step etc, and the pool).
    - dramatically reducing bread (which is hard for me, I LOVE fresh baguettes...)
    - no candy, no cookies.
    - only a handful of nuts per day! (I love hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds, and tend to go overboard).
    - no late night snack.

What also worked for me was online services such as Weight Watchers or MyFitnessPal, which explain how many calories you shouldn't go over per day, and offer good recipes. I find it helpful when I have to enter everything onto the program, it makes me a lot more aware of what I am eating and how much I am exercising.

I just could not eliminate fruit or root veggies from my diet. And I know I can lose weight while still eating those.

Another thing: Unless I am on vacation, I don't seem to be able to eat breakfast. I am never hungry upon rising, and if I try to eat a little bit, then by 10 am I am starving. If all I have is coffee, I am good to go until noon, and not even hungry ten. What gives?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

OP, sounds like you're making a valiant effort to do things properly, but your body is staging a major rebellion in it's effort to feed the carb-monster within. So here's what to try:

Next time The Munchy-Monster attacks, hack about a 2" square off a great, big, gooey, hunk of Brie cheese. And eat it, off the knife, no crackers in sight. Eat it slowly, wash it down with a big glass of water. Guaranteed within 10 minutes flat you're not going to want to look at food, or even think about it, for hours.

You have to kiss the sweets-and-starches goodbye--FOREVER--as a matter of life and death, which in your case it quite literally is. This is socially very difficult as 100% of our food culture in the US is obsessed with sweets and eating-for-pleasure and indulgence in every form. You have to Just Say NO. This is NOT easy--it's worse than alcoholism, smoking cessation, or cocaine. At least the wider world recognizes those things as bad, and will be understanding about why one might wish to avoid them--unfortunately, toxic "food" is not seen (yet) in this light so you will really have to swim against the tide.

This is going to be THE health issue of the 21st century, folks--so for heaven's sake, don't be the "enabler" who keeps putting the cupcake in front of the diabetic or the dieter--you are NOT being their friend and you MAY be killing them. Just sayin'!

6 members found this post helpful.

There is solid research that our weight is driven not by our minds but by our body's internal set point. Obviously it is not well understood, but dieting causes more problems than it solves. Starving the body causes a cascade of body signals that the best will-power does not overcome. The evidence of this is all around us: obesity. Consider all the people dieting and failing.

Large changes in diet are not as successful as slow methodical progress. Louise's post is a great starting point and has many successful details.

Some good info about this is found here - it is not perfect, but it's short and concise (NY Times Fitness Writer):

The First 20 Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can: Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer
    Gretchen Reynolds

Best wishes everyone!
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Dec. 31, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

OP- I have PCOS and am pre-diabetic. The best weightloss success I have had was:
    1. A diet based on Atkins
    2. Metformin
    3. Byetta
    4. Some moderate exercise- mostly light cardio and some weight machines

I found that the Byetta really helped with the cravings and being hungry all the time. However for some people the side effects are not fun. I did not have much by way of side effects so it worked well for me.

One of my 2013 goals is to follow up on some other medical issues I have going on so that my doctor will prescribe the metformin and Byetta again.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Can you have something healthy readily available each day at 4:30 when the cravings set in? Like a banana and a hard boiled egg? Both are low calorie and filling.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I have a problem with boredom (and stress) eating as well. Oftentimes a cup of tea will take the edge off. However, if you are truly hungry, definitely eat--one the biggest diet mistakes you can make is letting yourself get too hungry. Yogurt, nuts, some fruit, even a small cup of veg soup can tide you over to you next healthy meal nicely.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Can you have something healthy readily available each day at 4:30 when the cravings set in? Like a banana and a hard boiled egg? Both are low calorie and filling.
    Cut up veggies and protein such as the egg would be good. Bananas are pretty high carb so likely would not be a good choice. My grandmom used to make cream cheese filled celery or peanut butter filled celery. Yummy
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Get the Book Thinner Next year! It is Awesome. will make you realize that diets never work long term, Shows you how the primitive body really works and what our american style of eating does to your system.
    It will really open your eyes.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

OP, sounds like you're making a valiant effort to do things properly, but your body is staging a major rebellion in it's effort to feed the carb-monster within. So here's what to try:

Next time The Munchy-Monster attacks, hack about a 2" square off a great, big, gooey, hunk of Brie cheese. And eat it, off the knife, no crackers in sight. Eat it slowly, wash it down with a big glass of water. Guaranteed within 10 minutes flat you're not going to want to look at food, or even think about it, for hours.

You have to kiss the sweets-and-starches goodbye--FOREVER--as a matter of life and death, which in your case it quite literally is. This is socially very difficult as 100% of our food culture in the US is obsessed with sweets and eating-for-pleasure and indulgence in every form. You have to Just Say NO. This is NOT easy--it's worse than alcoholism, smoking cessation, or cocaine. At least the wider world recognizes those things as bad, and will be understanding about why one might wish to avoid them--unfortunately, toxic "food" is not seen (yet) in this light so you will really have to swim against the tide.

This is going to be THE health issue of the 21st century, folks--so for heaven's sake, don't be the "enabler" who keeps putting the cupcake in front of the diabetic or the dieter--you are NOT being their friend and you MAY be killing them. Just sayin'!
    Attitudes are changing but when I first went low carb people were like OMG you can't not eat CARBS" "You need to eat WHOLE GRAINS!!!!!! "

It sounded like ADM was sponsoring the whole nation.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I started at physician's plan weight loss clinic and have lost 10lbs in the last two months even though I've been on the road A LOT and its been holiday months! I'm hoping to up the weight loss now that I'll be home more and the eating/sweets holidays are over.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Attitudes are changing but when I first went low carb people were like OMG you can't not eat CARBS" "You need to eat WHOLE GRAINS!!!!!! "

It sounded like ADM was sponsoring the whole nation.
    This is what strikes me in this country, it's always all or nothing.
    What's wrong with everything in MODERATION? (unless you have health problems such as diabetes etc)
    I remember being amazed, when I first moved here, at the mere SIZE of portions. A small ice cream, for instance, would have been a large one in Europe. The size of dinner plates. Etc. etc.

3 members found this post helpful.

Lots of great advice. And I see a bit of me..my problem...in every response. Lady Eboshi, I think you've nailed it!!

Here's what I DON'T eat as part of my regular diet:

soda of any kind
    alcohol except maybe a beer or two a month
    processed foods, packaged foods, including vegetables with sauces.
    anything that is grain-based. i.e. flour (not whole grain either), cereal, oat meal etc.
    Also no milk or things made with milk. A small yogurt everyday and some cheese seems to be okay.

Here's what I do eat as my regular diet:
    greatest percentage is protein
    then vegetables. Fresh, steamed, sautéed. Some root veggies like beets, carrots but not potatoes.
    then a few fruits like berries, an orange or apple. Pineapple seems to be okay.
    Then 3 dark Dove chocolates.
    I drink tea and water.

It's a good diet and I make foods that are super good and tasty. I try to have things prepared ahead of time because if I start grabbing, it will be all the wrong stuff. When I grab its the crackers, toast, cereal...ordinary things.

If I was by myself, I wouldn't have those things in the house but my husband can eat them without problems. AND he's one who eats all the time...every 90 minutes or so despite 3 regular meals.

I'm going to try harder to find some arrangement that works. Maybe a can of soup at 4 or just eat dinner and have the soup later. My blood sugars do best on about 1200-1500 calories per day. I do best on about 2500 calories a day. I gain weight at anything over 1200 calories per day.

I work out with jogging, e.t., weights, bike riding. And I clean the barn...just 3 stalls...almost every day.

I'm starting to get tired.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    When I grab its the crackers, toast, cereal...ordinary things.

If I was by myself, I wouldn't have those things in the house but my husband can eat them without problems.
    Can you and your DH find some kind of mutually acceptable solution to that problem? My DH loves girl scout cookies, for example, but he's generally willing to take them to work and eat them there. Most of his junk food goes to work with him. And I buy a kind of bread for him and my son that's not really all that appealing to me, which staves off most of the "OMG, I want toast" cravings.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

OP, you could also buy those yummy organic baby carrots (or organic celery branches etc) and leave them where they are easily "grabbed" in lieu of cookies...

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    OP, you could also buy those yummy organic baby carrots (or organic celery branches etc) and leave them where they are easily "grabbed" in lieu of cookies...
    Yes, splurge on really good vegetables when possible. I have been known to actually buy a veggie tray for myself if I'm having a particularly busy week. Though this year I bought a produce share from a local farm, and then spent extra time preparing the veggies so they were ready to be used fairly quickly.

I've heard kale chips are really good, too, if you feel the need for a crunchy and lightly salted snack.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I would love to compromise and when he worked he kept his chips and stuff in his drawer. He's retired now and LOVES going to the grocery store. HE is addicted to food and eating. But it's okay for him: he weights 175 and at 71 takes only one med...for prostate. And never exercises. His activity of choice is reading. Unbelievably healthy for his age. Thank God...wouldn't want to deal with two of us like me.

BUT in all fairness and honesty, when he was working I went thru a binge eating period of several years...every afternoon. It's not like I was skinny then, fat now so it's his fault. So I can't blame him completely. He makes it harder but he doesn't make it impossible. I try really hard to do this FOR ME...never mind what he's doing. This is my problem that I want fixed for ME. He doesn't really care if I'm this fat. In the neighborhood of 200 pounds. I'd love to get down to 150. Was 130 when I graduated from high school and when diagnosed with diabetes a couple of years later.