The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ellemayo View Post
    I'm also trying to lose weight this year. I'm 25 and within the range of "normal" but I know that I could stand to lose 15 or 20 lbs.

My problem is that I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. Pretty much, literally, all the time. Except for the 30 minutes or so after a meal, I'm ravishing. I ate at around 2:00 and now it's 4:15, and I have been hungry for over an hour.

I know that sometimes I eat for comfort or boredom, but when I sit back and think about the past days, months, and years, I spend a lot of my time just being hungry. I've tried all kinds of things, and nothing seems to change it. I've tried packing on the protein. I'm a vegetarian (although I eat canned tuna) so it was tofu, eggs, tuna, cheese, greek yogurt, etc. I've tried doing lots of veggies alone, or with protein. Sometimes I do just go for the carbs, because they're easier, and I get full from them faster (though I'm still hungry within a short time). I drink water all day long. I have a camelback that holds about 25 oz and I fill it up 3 or 4 times per day. I started drinking green tea because I heard that it curbs appetite and speeds up metabolism. Nothing works.

Does anybody else experience this? I feel like I'm always around people who eat a banana for breakfast and then not need to eat again until mid afternoon. I eat a banana at 8 am and then I feel like I could eat an elephant at 9. I'm really tired of being hungry all the time.
    I'm often hungry constantly as well. For me the secret is getting enough protein and fiber, and staying hydrated. You may have a thyroid problem or something similar. Otherwise, I hate to say it but you may need to re-think your vegetarianism. I think plant-based is ideal but the truth is, it doesn't work for everyone. It's hard to replicate the protein per calorie ratio you get from say, a chicken breast.

Elliemayo. I experience this. My stomach growls AFTER I eat...about 20 minutes after. I'm actually more uncomfortable than before.

I have to eat by the clock because I can't depend on my body signals. I check the clock when I eat and then no more for at least 2 hours. Otherwise, I would munch right thru the day.

And my appetite picks up speed thru the day. I start with no appetite and don't want to eat breakfast. never have. But I eat anyway because I need to take insulin. Blood sugars go up a lot if a person doesn't eat. So I eat to slow the rise of blood sugars and then inject some fast acting to counter act the food.

I have a hiatal hernia so I have to wait at least an hour before exercising. And I've found that 3 in the afternoon is a good time for me. In the morning, I have barn chores. I like 3 because exercise suppresses my appetite and I use it to try and get thru the 4:00 eating. A lot of times, by 3, I'm in so much back pain that exercise is the last thing I want to do...even just walking. Then back to the barn for evening feeding.

I used to workout as soon as DH left for work...walking about 60-75 minutes. Then weights and stretches. 5 days a week. I should probably switch my exercise to the morning and my barn cleaning to 3:00 and lump that in with evening feeding.

I already count, weigh, or measure every thing that goes into my mouth. Have for years. I also keep a food diary so I know where my calories are coming from. I had an eating disorder in my teens so when I say I know exactly what I'm eating, I mean it.

I'm sure it would be a bit easier if I was willing to eat meat but nope, can't go there. I tried to add chicken back to my diet and couldn't handle it. I hate the taste, texture, and smell of it. I will occasionally eat seafood but again, have serious moral issues with eating it so don't have it more than a few times a year. Add to all of that the fact that I freely admit I am a picky eater and I do have to juggle the whole diabetes thing, food quickly gets complicated for me. I've cut out almost every bad thing there is, so short of eating a very limited diet I'm not really sure what else to do. I do work with a reg. dietician and even she gets stumped. She's not use to working with many diabetic vegetarians with food issues.

I am making getting more exercise a priority this year. I have goals I want to hit with my horses and in order to do that I know I need to be in better physical shape.

1 members found this post helpful.

Incredibly EXCELLENT article. I'm going to share it on FB and print it out. I have lost 40 pounds over the last 2 years or so. And basically kept it off but not without the same effort as what it took to lose it in the first place. So, I have to diet to maintain my weight. I have always said that I'm either gaining or loosing...I'm never staying static.

Thanks so much for the article.

Quote Originally Posted by SlamDunk View Post
    I found this article quite interesting. It talks about why weight loss is hard to maintain, and the metabolic changes that occur during weight loss.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...anted=all&_r=0

My goal for 2013 is to eat as if to loose weight. Whether my "proper" eating results in weight loss is up to the gods. All I can do is eat right, eat appropriately for diabetes and control portions. If I lose, great. If not, I'll control blood sugars. But even that is hard because I keep weighing myself. I really try to just 'be'.

I have to be careful about exercising. If I go at it like a mad dog, my metabolism actually shuts down...it's being attacked. Slow and steady works best for me. About a 60% to 65% THR.

Tomorrow is the day! I cut myself some slack for today because we always have hoppin' john on New Year's day and as a meal, it is not dieter friendly. Tonight, tho, chicken breast with cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. A sprinkle of Italian dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Incredibly EXCELLENT article. I'm going to share it on FB and print it out. I have lost 40 pounds over the last 2 years or so. And basically kept it off but not without the same effort as what it took to lose it in the first place. So, I have to diet to maintain my weight. I have always said that I'm either gaining or loosing...I'm never staying static.

Thanks so much for the article.
    Excellently written, perhaps. Unfortunately, once again re-stating a premise (calories in/calories out) that has now been proven categorically WRONG.

If you read that article, PLEASE read this one too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/ma...trap.html?_r=1

Simply put, you can NOT cure insulin resistance by eating carbs. The world ain't flat and the sun don't revolve around it, neither--I don't care WHAT the vested interests say. Vested interests once wanted to hang Galileo, 'nuff said.

You have to want to be healthy more than you want that cookie.
    That's really the whole bottom line. We need to start thinking of this in terms of substance addiction, which is exactly what it is.

Eat more cabbage!

Raw. I prefer red!

Also I eat lots of celery (light not real dark dark green btw) and zuccinni!

I love crunchy stuff.

Really starting to flatten my tummy.

Simply put, you can NOT cure insulin resistance by eating carbs. The world ain't flat and the sun don't revolve around it, neither--I don't care WHAT the vested interests say. Vested interests once wanted to hang Galileo, 'nuff said.
    I'm not sure if you are talking about type 1 or type 2 diabetes but type 1 can't be cured with or without carbs, only controlled. I actually have very good control of my blood sugars due to my strict control of food.

As a type 1 diabetic, I am not insulin resistant, I don't make any insulin. Unless someone comes up with a way to get my pancreas to start making insulin again, I will need insulin for the rest of my life.

I also don't eat cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbeats View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking about type 1 or type 2 diabetes but type 1 can't be cured with or without carbs, only controlled. I actually have very good control of my blood sugars due to my strict control of food.

As a type 1 diabetic, I am not insulin resistant, I don't make any insulin. Unless someone comes up with a way to get my pancreas to start making insulin again, I will need insulin for the rest of my life.

I also don't eat cookies.
    Type 1 and Type 2 as you say are entirely different problems, and Type 1 is not self-inflicted. Type 2 is inflicted ON us by the stuff in the supermarket. Love it when my local Stop & Shop is always collecting money for diabetes research, hitting up customers at the check-out lines. I always say I'll happily give 'em a check for $1K the day they take all the high-fructose corn syrup water off their shelves.

Ugh well I'm glad others can commiserate at least. I just went grocery shopping and stocked up on things I can snack on, like clementines, carrots and peas and hummus etc. Those things don't tend to fill me up very well but at least it takes my mind off being hungry while I'm eating it.

Natalie, I wish I could try doing the meat thing for awhile, but even the smell of it cooking makes me queasy. I quit eating meat when I was 10 and really GOT where it was coming from, and I haven't even been able to think about eating it since.

2 members found this post helpful.

Actually, I take exception to this notion. I have Type 1.5 (MODY). I was in my teens, 5'7", 130 pounds and very active in ice skating when I was diagnosed. So in my case, it was not self-inflicted. There is no cure for any type of diabetes, only control. No cure in that no matter how well controlled blood sugar is, if the patient eats a high carb, high sugar meal his/her blood sugar will go up.

I also don't eat cookies except for maybe a half dozen in a year. 20+ years between doughnuts.

I am part insulin resistant and part don't make enough insulin. Exercise heightens my sensitivity to insulin...both natural and injected. In fact, most of my devastating lows come with exercise/activity. I have no idea when I might be more sensitive at any given moment/day and so sometimes a 'normal' amount of injected insulin becomes an overdose. Like this morning. Hit me fast, like a ton of bricks. Other times, I can inject tons on insulin and get no significant lowering at all. Every test, every injection is a guessing game. It's big part of why I want to stay on my diet...so much easier when there aren't any wild swings.

QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;6757579]Type 1 and Type 2 as you say are entirely different problems, and Type 1 is not self-inflicted. Type 2 is inflicted ON us by the stuff in the supermarket. Love it when my local Stop & Shop is always collecting money for diabetes research, hitting up customers at the check-out lines. I always say I'll happily give 'em a check for $1K the day they take all the high-fructose corn syrup water off their shelves. [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by SlamDunk View Post
    I found this article quite interesting. It talks about why weight loss is hard to maintain, and the metabolic changes that occur during weight loss.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...anted=all&_r=0
    That is a fascinating article and it helps explain why, now that I am trying to maintain, and am eating around 500 more calories a day more than when I was actively dieting, I'm hungrier at times than I ever was when I dieted. I had made the decision, however, that I was going to be watching what I ate for the rest of my life, so I'm still tracking every single bit of food that goes into my mouth. And, a little paradoxically perhaps, now that I know why I'm hungrier, it will be easier to ignore the pangs.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

You have to want to be healthy more than you want that cookie.
    That's really the whole bottom line. We need to start thinking of this in terms of substance addiction, which is exactly what it is.

This.

Though I am still going to pimp the BeachBody programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    So set aside $5k in 2013 to devote to your wellness and track down the folks mentioned above.

Sure, no problem. I soooooooooooooo have that kind of money lying around.

I'm going back on the low-fat diet, which is the ONLY one that has ever worked for me. And since I don't have horses any more, I'm joining the Y and going to start playing racquetball and working out. Even paying the Y fee is way too expensive for me, but I (barely) make too much money to be eligible for financial aid. I mean I miss it by like a hundred bucks a year.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it, I need to ask my boss if he'll cut my salary by $100 a year. I'd end up WAY ahead if that were the case!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Long term health is going to be compromised with a 'low fat' diet.

Healthy fats can actually contribute to weight loss.

Walking is free. So are sit-ups, push-ups, tricep dips, etc.

Always a way people...there is always a way!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Long term health is going to be compromised with a 'low fat' diet.
    Not in this day and age. "low fat" doesn't mean NO fat. You just have to keep eating healthy fats such as those found in avocado, olive oil, nuts, etc. etc.

Just by cutting butter, margarine, corn oil, fried foods, heavy sauces...you're doing your health a favor!

I for one like the "Mediterranean" diet, which is not a diet to me, it's what I was raised on and my system seems to agree with it. No heavy fats and sauces, olive oil as the main fat source, lots of fruits and veggies. The only thing that's hard for me is not eating bread. I was raised eating lots of "real" bread, and I miss it if I can't have it.
    Will power!

As for exercise...I agree you need to find something that you like, and doing stuff OUTSIDE is key, to me. Walking, hiking, taking my bike rather than driving everywhere in the summer, riding my horse, etc. etc.
    Of course the winters are harder, it's 15 degrees F today, so the gym is a nice option. I only go to the gym for classes tho. Have you guys tried Zumba? Seriously, if you like dancing, it's a LOT of fun, and it's GREAT excercise.
    Yoga and pilates are my other classes of choice, for core-strength and flexibility.

Anyway. Changing life style is hard, it's a long-term commitment, and doing it little by little is easier and you are more likely to stick to it for the rest of your life
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I lost 95 lbs in 2005-2006 and have kept it mostly off. I broke 3 ribs about 2 years ago, was a couch spud for awhile and gained some back (ok 25 lbs) due to inactivity but that is gone now. I know exactly what you are talking about with the after 4:00pm thing.

Here is what I found. Make yourself eat in the morning. That was tough for me because I really can't eat first thing when I get up. But if I have something substantial before about 9:30 am, I'm not uncontrollably hungry in the afternoon. I like a good glass of wine (or 2 or 3. lol) in the evening but I quit drinking at home. It just fed the whole eating in the evening thing. And I really watch my carbs later in the day. That all seems to keep my appetite in check. Other the above guidelines, I eat pretty much whatever I want, which is great for me because I like to eat. Over time, what I want to eat has really changed.

But the big thing is that I workout, a lot. I developed this habit slowly and didn't get discouraged. If you think about it, there are so many things that we can apply effort to where the outcome may or may not be what we desire. Exercising is different. If you workout 4-5 times a week consistently, you will lose weight. It is guaranteed. I started with an iPod and 20 minutes walking on the treadmill 3xs a week, followed by some yoga. Now I am up to 40 minutes of running on the eliptical, 20 minutes of weights and 30 minutes of yoga every morning, plus I work out with a trainer 2xs a week and I ride 5 days a weeks. I do Pilates when it's raining and I can't ride. When I say I do this everyday, I mean that it is my goal to do this everyday, but I allow for life to happen. For instance, something came up this am and I didn't make it to the gym. I don't beat myself up because I went all week and I know I'll go tomorrow. I recently had the flu and felt horrible for 3 days. So I didn't go, but as soon as I felt even a little bit better I made myself get to the gym for some easy work.

Everybody says but it is really true. Diets don't work, it has to be a life style change. But make the changes small at first. Over time, they will add up.

******The thing about low fat products and diets is that they are usually high in carbs. That just doesn't work for me at all. I find fat suppresses my appetite. I have butter on my veggies and I use olive oil liberally. My cholesterol and triglycerides have actually dropped.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Eat to Live....not Live to Eat. That has become my motto. I don't eat unless I am actually hungry. And then I don't eat anything unhealthy. I've lost almost all of my belly fat and almost all of my cellulite in my legs...and I'm 42. I look better now than in my 20s. I also run 5-6 times a week 4 miles-8 miles per day.

I admit that I get annoyed with my husband's crappy eating habits. 5/6 diet sodas a day. A couple weeks ago we were in a restaurant and he ordered a plate of fried cheese sticks (which he ate all of them/I wouldn't touch them), then had a salad caked in Ranch Dressing, Rolls with butter and then a Bacon Cheesburger with fries. His cholestrol levels are already high but you can't tell him a damn thing about what and how much he crams in his mouth.

I finally gave up. After hitting an all time high with my weight I decided that I can't do it on my own. I'm just not disciplined enough. I recruited a good friend who is a personal trainer and another good friend who is a dietician and told them to have at it. I am on a VERY structured diet with 5 small meals per day eaten at 3 hour intervals. I do not eat anything without weighing it, and nothing off plan. I have carbs 3 days per week, and eat a lot of tuna, chicken and some red meat. It's been harder than quitting smoking, and the food cravings and hunger pangs have been out of control. I was a raging bitchmonster for the first 3 weeks and was constantly hungry, but I'm a month in and down 20lbs and I feel FANTASTIC! I love my workouts, I have more energy, my skin looks better and I feel so good about myself.

I do pack all of my meals the night before so I am forever carrying around little Tupperware containers, and eating out has been a no no so I've saved a fortune in food costs lol! I'd have never been able to do this by myself though and have needed the pushing from my friends. I didn't realize how much of a role food and alcohol played in my life until I started all of this. It hasn't been easy, but I'm halfway to my goal weight and it's been so worth it!