The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Resources on Nutrition/Weight Management/Conditioning

Does anyone know of any good resources (besides horse journal) on feeding horses and having a good diet for a growing/active horse?

With my two jobs and the place I like to take lessons I spend my week with 3 barns. Each one has done hay differently. I've also been looking at boarding barns and taking note of the condition of the horses (whether they're storing a little too much extra fat, showing a lot of muscle tone, lacking muscle tone, tubby bellies, too skinny which I haven't seen yet, etc).

I don't need to become the master or anything but having a way to evaluate nutrition and what feed/hay can be causing what would be nice.

Also, you can use the search bar on this forum or ask your vet, they probably have info they could send you!

The Pony Club "A" manual has a very good section on feeding horses.

Also "Beyond the Hay Days" by Rex Ewing is a good book worth reading.

Books, not websites, are still my preferred method of getting a good dose of information. Call me a dinosaur.
    Click here before you buy.

Thank you guys, very very informative! I too love books. My vet has pamphlets but they were watered down info I already knew. Part of the reason I asked is cause there's a lot of stuff online, and a lot of books out there, but just because it's published doesn't mean it's accurate... so have people to confirm them helps a lot too.

I did use the search bar but I had been looking for books and did not find a ton

There is a free online course on Horse Nutrition starting 1/28 by Coursera:

https://www.coursera.org/course/equinenutrition
    This class is being run by the University of Edinburgh.

My daughter is taking Genetics right now and I am impressed with the class so far (of course she just started it, so who knows...?) Her class is being run by Duke University.

I'm tempted to try the Horse Nutrition class just for fun. There are 19,000+ people registered for the genetics class, from all around the world, and many of them will not officially "complete" the class. So if you are concerned about taking the class because you don't want to do homework, I wouldn't worry about it.

The genetics class is video clips; not live. There is no interaction with the professor but there is a discussion forum. It's pretty cool....