The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Does anyone but me ever wonder if some of these extreme "down 'n out" threads are a creepy form of trolling?
    They might or might not be. Certainly, real people really do fail to plan or pull the plug on whatever "dream" is clearly not working out and end up in the weeds, as seen in previous threads where the truth got discovered eventually by other COTHers, not gives by an OP.

OP, seriously, you have strangers offering to buy you dinner and send you gift cards. By all means, take them up on their kindness but tell your damned kids you and your horses are on the thin edge of starvation here. Not "mommy is having a bit of a hard time with the farm, could you maybe help a bit."

8 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone but me ever wonder if some of these extreme "down 'n out" threads are a creepy form of trolling?

Most people who have pets, a house, and other responsibilities would not be caught dead waiting until things are this desperate unless severe depression, addiction, or similar is in play. Trainwrecks like this don't just happen, suddenly--they are the karma of YEARS of bad decision-making; or NON-decision making.

The other thread running like this, the woman had lost her live-in boyfriend, BUT STILL HAD a farm, boarders, and a job; that isn't "destitution" in my world.

In this case, this woman has children who are presumably comfortable--WTF is in play when they'd let their MOTHER go without food in the house, gas in the truck or a haybale in the stable?

Sorry, but these yarns just don't make it through my real-world filter. They could even be started by scammers HOPING you'll fill up their PayPal account! There's just a lot of weird sh*! on the Internet.
    Maybe I'm just young enough, or dumb enough, that I've been in a pinch a time or two recently enough to see the story as plausible. You hope things will work out - a job will come through, something will sell to get you by - and it doesn't. Maybe OP is too ashamed to TELL her children the dire situation she's really in. I've made those calls to my parents in years past - trying to casually mention that things are a bit tight, that I'm eating ramen until I get paid again - hoping they'll offer to help out but being far too ashamed to actually ask for it. I was raised and wired to take care of myself and not ask for things. It's hard. My dog eats nearly anything, fortunately, and there was a week or two where I cooked us both dinner using whatever I could find in the cabinet - oatmeal, plain white rice, some old canned vegetables. And that was all we ate. BBQ or teriyaki sauce makes nearly anything taste edible.

Maybe OP is lying. I don't care. I won't paypal her money, but I'll still send her a box of food or call in to the feed store to get a bag of all stock or a bale of hay.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

3 members found this post helpful.

Plenty of charities can help out, esp in FL. Check out http://www.horseincorp.org/index.html

Also, contact local riding clubs, they may be able to help. You need a long term plan though and have some difficult decisions to make.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

So sorry for you, OP.

For starters, TELL the kids to send you some money to tide you over. They may not be aware you are on your last dollar.

If you are trying to sell horse stuff, The Outside Course is a BB much like this one, but they have free classifieds. http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_Outside_Course/index/ I've bought and sold on there, and never had any problems. Other people may be able to direct you to other free places to sell things.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

My scam alert isn't going off and it's not often wrong. The best thing to do is if someone could deliver the food, feed, cat food and maybe a can of gas.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone but me ever wonder if some of these extreme "down 'n out" threads are a creepy form of trolling ?

<snip>

Sorry, but these yarns just don't make it through my real-world filter. They could even be started by scammers HOPING you'll fill up their PayPal account! There's just a lot of weird sh*! on the Internet.
    Maybe you could take the time to read the history on this poster before naming her a Troll

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Maybe you could take the time to read the history on this poster before naming her a Troll
    If someone is a long time reader, with a posting history, I would say, it should have known not to get in that position.
    We have had enough threads with examples of people in real, known trouble and others faking it, both, to be a lesson for all.

That gave me pause when I first read it, but if course no one knows what is really behind any one's post.
    I do think there is more to the story, no normal person would have let this run to the last bite of food, last drop of gas and then post for help, before doing something else.
    I would have been strongly thinking not on the level if that story had been posted in the late evening.
    Then I sure would have definitely questioned it.

Has anyone received an address? Please PM if available.

Over the Hill, I'm in Florida. Citrus Co. Please pm me your address. If you're within a couple hundred miles of me, I will bring you feed for your critters and gas for your truck. Then we could go get you some groceries.
    I was in your shoes a few years ago, and I got help from kind people.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My scam alert isn't going off and it's not often wrong. The best thing to do is if someone could deliver the food, feed, cat food and maybe a can of gas.
    I agree. That would be most helpful then someone could see what the actual situation is plus feed store probably closes early today and will be closed tomorrow.
    If money is put into her paypal she would have to move it to a checking account wouldn't she? That could take up to four days (more with the holiday)

I also agree with whoever said tell her kids to help...NOW.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    I agree. That would be most helpful then someone could see what the actual situation is plus feed store probably closes early today and will be closed tomorrow.
    If money is put into her paypal she would have to move it to a checking account wouldn't she? That could take up to four days (more with the holiday)

I also agree with whoever said tell her kids to help...NOW.
    Heck, any neighbor would help, or the local churches, even if you don't belong to them.

Default Thanks, ya'll

Well, most of ya'll anyway

I've just gotten back from the feed store. My horses now have feed and hay for another week until I figure something else out. I've gotten a lot of wonderful uplifting posts from a lot of wonderful uplifting COTHers. I appreciate each and every one. My feed store will hold my check until I get SS on the 3rd.

Let me clarify a few things. No, this did not happen overnight.
    Yes, I've made a lot of really bad decisions in my life. Probably starting with marrying the man and sticking with him through 44 years of depression, alchoholism and mental abuse. I had children with him and nowhere else to go. Now I am being blamed for the decision to stay with him so that my children at least had a home and a future by the very same children that I stayed in the marriage to protect. Everything would be different if I had had the guts to leave way back when. Well, way back then it wasn't the easiest thing to do.

I own the property myself. There is no mortgage. I do not have credit card debt. I only pay electric, cellphone (internet) and insurance. The rest of what I get goes to the upkeep of the farm and the care of the two horses, two barn kitties and two old dogs. We are generally able to cope. My rear brakes went out on my 13 year old truck and set me back $430 to fix. The pump went out on the well, thank goodness that only set me back $240.

And although my ex has not retired and has been working steadily since the divorce, I cannot go back to him for support. (Gotta love Florida judges.)

I have to go. I just got a call on an item that I've been trying to sell and I've agreed to meet part way. I will be back later to post more.

Thanks for those who helped me in any way.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad to hear from you and am glad to hear you are getting some relief.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Please stay in touch. I have been in very precarious situations a few times years ago. I would have not made it if not for the kindness of others. Paying it forward has always been big for me. Huge medical bills and an ass of an ex had me in deep trouble at the time, it had nothing to do with financial irresponsibility. And yes, 40 years ago it was not easy to support children as a single mom. People don't realize how difficult it was for women back in those days.

4 members found this post helpful.

OP, I'm very glad to hear from you too and so glad you were able to get some feed. How are you for groceries and cat food?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    OP where do you live? Town and state? Maybe a kind COTHer can bring you a bag of feed, some cat food and dinner. If you're anywhere near me, Tractor Supply is still open until 6. Let us know.
    I would be happy to chip in. We all need a helping hand from time to time.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.

OP, where are you in Florida? I am in Ocala. I can bring grain, hay, and cat food if you are less than 100 miles. Please PM me ASAP.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

2 members found this post helpful.

See your e-mail.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Down for a dribble : ) send me that PayPal or your feed store's phone # and your name.

OP... sorry about your children. When I look back on how thoughtless I was to my mother during and after my parents' divorce I am ashamed of myself. As a wife and mother now, she handled everything way better than I ever could and did the very best she could for us. I am lucky she is a very forgiving person as well, I am lucky to now call her one of my best friends. They will come to their senses.

OP what about a room mate?

Ugh, having your own kids desert you to the extent of not even help you in such a pinch, where anyone would help out, where strangers are offering to do so, that is terrible.

Hope some day they will grow up and be ashamed of themselves.

Looks like you have some posters close that can help with immediate needs.