The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

I think PJ is right. Although that is a very small town in Florida.

I don't know where naselberry lives in Ohio though. Someone else will have to give that information to all who live up there who are willing to help her out.

As someone in the financial industry I can't stress enough how much you need to avoid a reverse mortgage. Exhaust every other option get a roommate, people posted many jobs that you might be able to do, shoot any other little part time job even fast food is better then nothing. Also, no shame in taking advantage of government assistance especially when you really need it. You can get through this and have people who want to help you in the mean time!

3 members found this post helpful.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...our-home-sale/

Please think twice, and three times, about the reverse mortgage. That paid for farm is your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Maybe I'm just young enough, or dumb enough, that I've been in a pinch a time or two recently enough to see the story as plausible. You hope things will work out - a job will come through, something will sell to get you by - and it doesn't. Maybe OP is too ashamed to TELL her children the dire situation she's really in. I've made those calls to my parents in years past - trying to casually mention that things are a bit tight, that I'm eating ramen until I get paid again - hoping they'll offer to help out but being far too ashamed to actually ask for it. I was raised and wired to take care of myself and not ask for things. It's hard. My dog eats nearly anything, fortunately, and there was a week or two where I cooked us both dinner using whatever I could find in the cabinet - oatmeal, plain white rice, some old canned vegetables. And that was all we ate. BBQ or teriyaki sauce makes nearly anything taste edible.

Maybe OP is lying. I don't care. I won't paypal her money, but I'll still send her a box of food or call in to the feed store to get a bag of all stock or a bale of hay.
    This exactly. In 2009 I was doing ok, supporting myself and my horse. Then the house I was renting got foreclosed on and the landlord didn't tell me. In Oregon if you have been in residence for six months or longer the owners of the property have to give you 30 days notice to move, less than 6 months and they can just tell you to leave immediately. I had been there 5 months. Trying to come up with first/last/deposit on a new place (landlord stiffed me on the deposit) so that I could move completely wiped out my emergency fund. One more thing and I would have been in the OP's shoes. As it was I lived on ramen for weeks. When I finally sucked it up and asked my parents for help, instead of just hinting, they wouldn't loan me money and told me to sell my horse. The horse was already on the market at a ridiculously low price with no takers. Sometimes, family is just no help.

I'll call in a bag of feed or two if someone gets the info for the OP and her feed store. Wish I was closer I have tons of hay in the barn.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

Quote Originally Posted by spotteddrafter View Post
    Where in Ohio? I'm in SW Ohio, between Dayton and Cincy, and can try to help you!
    naselberry's email lists her as Shreve, OH
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

To all who supported the OP, ,bravo, to the couple of posters who cast doubt or blame, there but for the grace of God go we.

I myself would be very loathe to ask for help, from kids or social security, and it must be very hard ideed - but it is necessry and that is what they exist for.
    Plenty of time to pay it forward later.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

People, I really appreciate your concern, but I am a bit mortified that this turned into a "let's help NB" thing! This is the OP's thread, and I had no intention of hi-jacking it!
    I only wanted to commiserate with her as I know the despair, hopelessness and fear of the future she is feeling.

OP, I cannot help you, except to offer my prayers and positive vibes that things will work out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    People, I really appreciate your concern, but I am a bit mortified that this turned into a "let's help NB" thing! This is the OP's thread, and I had no intention of hi-jacking it!
    I only wanted to commiserate with her as I know the despair, hopelessness and fear of the future she is feeling.

OP, I cannot help you, except to offer my prayers and positive vibes that things will work out for you.

Honestly Nasalberry - what exactly did you expect??? You sounded almost suicidal in your post - not just commiserative with the OP. And if you're that commiserative with her, then it's obvious that you must need help as well.

What part of this did you not think would be taken as someone seriously in need by the good folks here:

"I understand completely. I am in a dire situation as well; if anything, perhaps worse off. The stress of no money (trying to sell good horse things on eBay for cheap ~ watchers, no buyers), is making me crazy. I always fear where the $$ for the next bag of horse feed or round bale will come from. I am literally living on peanut butter and ramen noodles.

I wish I would just drop dead. I am just so tired of worrying and crying. I pray for the money to get my old horse's front shoes pulled - it's been 12 weeks!!
    I am ready just to have the vet come out, do the deed and be done with it all.
    Then I can finally go and be at peace.
    LOTS more bad stuff, but that is the jist of it: One step forward, three steps sliding back.

I truly, TRULY feel your pain and hopelessness.

I hope your situation will improve. I no longer hope or care that mine will; I just want the pain and worrying to end."

That's some seriously depressing stuff. Instead of being "mortified", why not just accept some assistance to get you through whatever your current situation is.

4 members found this post helpful.

NB I understand how reading something that you connect with so tightly would make you speak up and express your own fears and problems without pausing to think of the aftermath. I'm sure you didn't mean to detract and I don't think you did; just accept that people are willing and able to help you in the same way. I'm glad you spoke up-how can anyone help if they don't know? We don't want anything bad to happen to anyone here and people will help as much as they can.

1 members found this post helpful.

Please please stay away from the reverse mortgage. Explore every other avenue first.

Quote Originally Posted by spotteddrafter View Post
    Where in Ohio? I'm in SW Ohio, between Dayton and Cincy, and can try to help you!
    I am also in your area SD...Miamisburg. If you hear of someone who needs help please let me know.

Kristie
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Before Off Topic Day closes.I want to thank you all for your encouragement, your offers of help, your terrific suggestions. You have made me feel not alone. The outpouring of generosity from this group is totally overwhelming.

Thanks, too, for not being judgmental, for not blaming me for the predicament I find myself in. No one can possibly blame me more than I do already. You have given me the hope that I can get through this. I started tonight with listing a few things on e-bay. There will be many more items to follow over the course of the next few days. I will be at the local WorkForce office tomorrow morning to see if there have been any new job listings locally. Thanks again, sincerely, to each and every one of you.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Honestly Nasalberry - what exactly did you expect??? You sounded almost suicidal in your post - not just commiserative with the OP. And if you're that commiserative with her, then it's obvious that you must need help as well.

What part of this did you not think would be taken as someone seriously in need by the good folks here:

"I understand completely. I am in a dire situation as well; if anything, perhaps worse off. The stress of no money (trying to sell good horse things on eBay for cheap ~ watchers, no buyers), is making me crazy. I always fear where the $$ for the next bag of horse feed or round bale will come from. I am literally living on peanut butter and ramen noodles.

I wish I would just drop dead. I am just so tired of worrying and crying. I pray for the money to get my old horse's front shoes pulled - it's been 12 weeks!!
    Then I can finally go and be at peace.
    LOTS more bad stuff, but that is the jist of it: One step forward, three steps sliding back.

I truly, TRULY feel your pain and hopelessness.

I hope your situation will improve. I no longer hope or care that mine will; I just want the pain and worrying to end."

That's some seriously depressing stuff. Instead of being "mortified", why not just accept some assistance to get you through whatever your current situation is.
    Right? OT Day this time around has taken on the character of the Jerry Springer Show if you ask me. . . . half these threads are "can you top this" life wrecks of every description. I sometimes think people's inner 5-year-old is really doing all the typing.

I think it's an indication of how bad things are starting to be for people. This board hardly has the reputation of being soft on people that are down on their luck. I think we're seeing the results of political/economic crap that have been looming for a long time.

I've been PM'ing and emailing with one of the 'springer show" people as you call them and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Times are tough out there and while a lot of this board are rich white horse women a lot of people are not. Maybe you will be next year's springer show but if that's all you can add for now just STFU.

10 members found this post helpful.

Whilst there might be some posters who could be "Jerry Springer" contestants, remember that many people's lives are not perfect, that life can toss some seriously bad things in one's path and not everyone has a charmed existence. And, we all make mistakes in life no matter how perfect someone's life seems on the surface.

Rather than think it's a matter of "can you top this", maybe you should sit back and have some compassion and hope you never hit a brick wall and experience someone looking down on you for what has happened to you that is just plain bad luck, misfortune, a natural disaster, desertion or death or making a mistake and learning from it. We're all on the same path called Life and nothing should be taken for granted.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Right? OT Day this time around has taken on the character of the Jerry Springer Show if you ask me. . . . half these threads are "can you top this" life wrecks of every description. I sometimes think people's inner 5-year-old is really doing all the typing.
    If you're going to be obnoxious, go do it somewhere else, please. Nobody is forcing you to read these threads or post on them.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

5 members found this post helpful.

OTH, my offer still stands. If you need feed (or food for yourself) to get by and you're outside of G'ville, please, please contact me. I'm about 6 miles from the horse show so getting out as far as Stark or Dunellon or Palatka or Chiefland or Weirsdale is not the end of the world for me. I wish you all the best OP, you're in my thoughts.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    OTH, my offer still stands. If you need feed (or food for yourself) to get by and you're outside of G'ville, please, please contact me.
    Mine does as well. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that my PM's have not been responded to and both the OP and nasalberry are apparently not interested in my offer to send food.

I mean this in the kindest way and it's not directed at any person in particular, but why on earth do people publicly complain about not having enough to eat and then refuse to accept a decent meal? Is it like the panhandlers on the streetcorners, who only want hard cash? Or do people just want sympathy but not actual change?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

She has responded to me instantly on the sale of her horse items and not for big money nor am I worried about really much of anything.. I agreed to buy something from her tonight and I trust her above and beyond to send it to me. Any horse person I know worth his/her salt has a lot of pride left and I will not tear that up. She has some quality horse items and I"m proud to buy from her. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    I pray for the money to get my old horse's front shoes pulled - it's been 12 weeks!!
    FYI, you can pull shoes yourself with a few tools, patience and the knowledge that it's not rocket surgery.

Ideally, you pry up the clinched nail heads first. I have been known to use a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer when tool pickin's were slim.

Or you can rasp down the clinched nails if you have a rasp and, again, patience.

Then you pry each side of the heel of the shoe toward the center of the toe, alternating sides. Your trusty screw driver works well enough for this.

I hope this helps a tad.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat