The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by merriment View Post
    Having known many Princeton grads, I would not encourage a family member to apply to Princeton on a bet. If you aren't already unsufferable upon entry, you will be at graduation. Maybe there's a way to escape pompous-ass syndrome and still attend Princeton, but I don't know what it is. I hope she changes her list around.
    Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    I live.....what...two miles from campus and could tell stories upon stories of arrogance and entitlement but that probably wont deter her choice.
    That's what I said. Perhaps Oxbridge in England's higher education ecosystem is similar. By and large, however, great universities just get on with the business of doing their elite business and don't talk about just how elite that dang business is.

OTOH, I have never seen a university put so much effort into controlling it's image in the press as Yale. The High Ups there did spin control for/to it's own faculty. Either they were preaching to the choir... or worried that they were not. It was a big deal when they were selling the Yale franchise to Singapore.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

$$$$$

Give a giant donation, and see where it takes you. How about building a whole building or wing off an existing building.

Pay for her tuition all in advance. In cash.

That will make a statement.

One more thing -- there are, absolutely, spoiled rich kids at these schools who get a leg up in the admissions process through legacy or money. BUT, they're outnumbered *at least* two to one by nice, normal people who worked like crazy to get in and whose parents busted their asses to be able to send them there.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    $$$$$

Give a giant donation, and see where it takes you. How about building a whole building or wing off an existing building.

Pay for her tuition all in advance. In cash.

That will make a statement.
    IIRC, Princeton has a stronger reputation for selling spots to "development cases" than do the other Ivies. But I think all the big schools do this to an extent.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If Princeton is her first choice school, she should apply for early decision (if they have it) or early action. (Early decision is binding as long as there is an acceptable financial aid award to go with it; early action is not binding.) The only time every seat in a college is available is when applying early. If she applies regular decision she could be demographically eliminated before she even applies.

Also, sign up for usnews.com. In the section about colleges she can see what they consider very important, important, considered or not considered. For example, at some colleges an interview is very important and at others they are not even considered. She needs to know these things about every college she plans to apply to.

Also, if she will need financial aid in order to attend (and Princeton is very generous with needs-based aid) be sure to meet the financial aid deadlines. For early decision candidate, financial aid forms may be due as early as October 15 of her senior year of high school.

If you don't know how financial aid works, find a firm that can help you with it. There is a lot of misinformation about financial aid out there but a good financial aid advisor can help your neice qualify for as much need-based aid as possible. At the very least go to the website, finaid.org and do the calculators there to so that you are aware of what the school will think you can afford to pay. You can also go to each college website for this information - they are all mandated by law to have net financial aid calculators at their websites. However, I have yet to find a college that is matching what they say the student is eligible for on their website, and they are not honoring that amount when the discrepancy is pointed out.

I don't know about Princeton, but I do know that Yale has been charging 10% of a family AGI for tuition for students whose family income is less than $160,000 per year. This is far less than any of the financial aid calculators will show you.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    One more thing -- there are, absolutely, spoiled rich kids at these schools who get a leg up in the admissions process through legacy or money. BUT, they're outnumbered *at least* two to one by nice, normal people who worked like crazy to get in and whose parents busted their asses to be able to send them there.
    And let's be clear: The undergrads there, and even at Harvard where it is hard to flunk out, have a long and deep history of hard work. I don't think folks get to the tippy top university without some intention.

My experience teaching at an Ivy was that every student had agreed up front on the value of education. It made everything easier. Sure, slacker undergrads being slacker undergrads (including yours truly) sometimes don't read all the assigned stuff. But in Ivy Land as opposed to Large State School land--- even with students who were equally smart and equally hardworking-- there was a difference: Those in Large State School wondered if it really and truly was necessary to do the work asked. It's your money: Large State School will cash your checks with your slide by or wring a superb education out of your time here. Ivy Kiddies walked in prepared to to the latter.

Note, too, in this conversation the number of people who went to "above their station" schools whose parents taught them that education was valuable. What worries me about the destruction of the Liberal Arts education in the public conversation is that you can't get back the value of education after a generation or two have lived without it. How, after that, do you re-ignite the value for knowledge, the public's interest in distinguishing better from worse claims or it's ability to do so? IMO, too many people now don't know how to believe that they can research and teach themselves anything. That's something you learn in Liberal Arts World, even if you decide you want to learn statistics.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

What are her plans for this summer? What she does her Junior Summer can very easily make the difference-especially if she interns for a prestigous alumnus, or influencial individuals. Close friends of mine have titles at NASA. They get their pick of interns every summer, and the ones who pull their weight get into any University they want to, with great recommendations. Hanging around a barn is not going to do it.

Grades and scores alone won't do it. You have to prove that you are worth the trouble.

Other than that, you need to have parents or friends who are alumni.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

2nd what mvp and others have said. I wish her luck, but the Ivies aren't the be all and end all....

I went to a competitive college prep school. There were 2 brothers - one a senior, 4.0GPA, head of the honour council, captain of varsity soccer, all AP classes, etc. The other pretty much the same. The first (elder) had wanted to go to Harvard his entire life. He got in, went, and was basically miserable. The 2nd applied, got rejcted, and went to UPenn. He loved it.

Another girl I know with similar credentials (was/still is also an avid rider!) applied to UVA (like half of my school) and got rejected. She ended up at Kenyon on a full ride, loved it, and later applied to UVAs Education School for Masters. She got in and ended up rejecting them.

College admissions is a total crap shoot. I should know, I worked for SRA (admissions) at the Uni. of Edinburgh. Unless you are an American student applying for a top notch British university, then you only stand a chance because you pay a lot more than the Brits.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

kcmel is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Oooh, I forgot about UVa! That was always my "dream school," for a job, anyway. I will have to suggest that to her.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Oooh, I forgot about UVa! That was always my "dream school," for a job, anyway. I will have to suggest that to her.
    If she's horsey UVA is especially worth a look. Even if she's not into IHSA there are plenty of opportunities both through the school and otherwise. I had a friend from high school who competed on UVA's polo team and LOVED it. It goes without saying C'ville is horse country central.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey