The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hair cut question

I am working on growing out my hair for my June wedding. What I am wondering is whether its really true that its important to continue with routine trims until then. I realize I need to make sure my hair is healthy--no split ends, etc. But do I still need to do a trim every 6-8 weeks? I want to stimulate growth, but I just don't believe the hype that regular trims aid in growth. Also, my stylist has a tendency to take off 1-2 inches even when I say just a trim--which I'm not sure is necessary. I'm absolutely religious about staying on a schedule and take good care of my hair. There are definitely no split ends when I go in. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I used to have hair down below the mid part of my back, but went for a drastic trim last summer/fall. Now its probably an inch or two below my shoulders.
    Friend of bar.ka

As someone who is growing their hair out I asked a friend who has grown her hair out a million times about this (I wish she CUT hair but she's just a fashionista that I know and unfortunately she doesn't live close enough that I can use her stylist ). Anyway, her "secret" is that she lets it go until it's about 6-10" long. She gets it shaped if it drives her crazy, but for the most part to get it to grow she just lets the darned stuff GROW. So that's what I'm doing with mine, and while I have hair that grows REALLY slowly, it does seem to be working. Every so often (about every 3-4 months) it starts to REALLY bug me, and then I know it's time for a SMALL trim, but I go ballistic about the amount they take off. Only enough to get it to not make me totally nuts.

I'm on strike with my hair right now (see the other thread) because someone took a little too much off the back, thus negating a whole 3 months worth of work. It'll grow back, but I'm not going to do anything for another 4 months, and I can see a huge difference now (after about 2 months). So I'll let you know next OT day if it's actually really growing (it was REALLY short!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Trims are important. If you have any damaged ends you risk it running up the shaft of the hair and there is no repairing that once it happens. As to how often, it just depends on what you do to your hair. Do you use heat tools a lot? Is it damaged now? What products do you use? Do you color your hair? All that is important.

If it has any damage and go every 8 weeks. If you style it a lot, go every 8 weeks. If you are the type who puts it in a pony, lets it air dry and you are good to your hair you can get away with 10-12 weeks IMO. As for the stylist taking off too much, tell her. No more than half an inch. If she can't do that, find someone else.

The products I swear by is anything Bumble and Bumble, Unite and Prive.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Thanks! Great points made. I do wear it up in a pony or high bun every day for work and always air dry. I do some heat styling, but not a lot. No coloring...I'm a natural redhead and it simply refuses to change colors, lol.

I have an appointment for Saturday of next week, will be very explicit about ONLY 1/2 an inch off. I think after that 12 weeks sounds like a good idea.
    Friend of bar.ka

Trimming dead stuff doesn't quicken growth of new stuff.

If you are putting up in a pony (I do too) then you have to try for band that won't cause breakage.

You can try the gelatin capsules for more hair growth but really, what I've found works best is exercise and good nutrition!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've heard that pre-natal vitamins encourage hair growth due to the folic acid (or something in them.)
    "Ponies are a socially acceptable form of child abuse." - said by a friend when asked if she was going to find a pony for her 5 year old daughter.

If you want it long, do not cut it off.

I got a haircut to my lip line, and high in the back. I hated it, hated it. I waited 6 months to have it trimmed, then didn't trim it for a year or more.

No more drastic hair cuts for me for the rest of my life. When it is cut I get about 4-5" cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTalk View Post
    Thanks! Great points made. I do wear it up in a pony or high bun every day for work and always air dry. I do some heat styling, but not a lot. No coloring...I'm a natural redhead and it simply refuses to change colors, lol.

I have an appointment for Saturday of next week, will be very explicit about ONLY 1/2 an inch off. I think after that 12 weeks sounds like a good idea.
    Would you consider extensions? Super expensive for the really top class ones, but you wouldnt have to worry about your hair growing fast enough..

I would, though I imagine it would be quite expensive to get ones to match my hair color especially? Perhaps not. It IS an option if I feel like its not quite as long as I'd like by June.

The more I think about it the more I will probably not do any more trims until closer to the wedding after this weekend's appointment. No matter what, it will be ok. Its long enough that I don't *absolutely* hate it now, and I suspect on that day I'll be pretty happy no matter the length
    Friend of bar.ka

Instead of saying 'trim' or 'even it out', take something the length you want taken off, and tell the hairdresser 'this much and no more'. If the hairdresser chops more off than you want after showing exactly what you mean, then switch to someone who does what you want. Part of the reason you get regular trims is because your hair doesn't grow evenly all over, and it's partly to even that up.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I just don't cut mine when I want it to grow out. When my hair is long I get it cut maybe once or twice a year, tops. If I find myself bored I will sit and clip the individual split or dry ends that I might be able to see but that usually isn't an issue for me. I am not a pony tail person b/c it's too heavy but I will condition it and then wrap it in a low bun with a fabric band and leave it at that for the day. Having the ends wrapped up means no damage...

I would let it grow until about 2 weeks before the wedding and then get one final cut to get rid of the dead ends and make it look fresh.

If you want an elastic that doesn't damage hair, I LOVE these: http://www.thetwistband.com/hair-ties/solids.html (They also don't leave creases when you take your hair down.)

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    If I find myself bored I will sit and clip the individual split or dry ends that I might be able to see but that usually isn't an issue for me.
    I do this, too! I thought it was the only one.

Nope, you're not alone!

Extensions, depending the method used to attach, the coloring involved, and the quality of hair used, can cost a bundle. They also have clip in ones for special occasions.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Cutting doesn't make your hair grow faster, it simply keeps down on the breakage at the ends. There's not much you can do to actually make your hair GROW faster (general rule of thumb I believe is about 1/4" per month). Your best bet is to have a healthy scalp, use a dandruff shampoo (even if you don't have dandruff) and a clarifying shampoo (or vinegar rinse) once a week to get rid of buildup on the scalp that can clog your pores. Gently massaging your scalp can help stimulate healthy hair growth as well.

If the stylist is taking off 1-2", that's probably more than you need. Have a firm discussion with her because everybody's version of 1-2" is totally different. Show her exactly how much you mean, ask her to "dust" the ends. If she takes off too much, you need to let her know after the cut that you aren't happy (if you keep telling her it's great and you love it to be nice, she's never going to change) or go to a different stylist.

The important thing in growing out your hair is to protect the ENDS. I use oil on my ends/dry spots at night and oil the ends before I shampoo. Only shampoo the scalp area and let the shampoo rinse over your hair so you aren't stripping the ends. Check your products to make sure they aren't heavy with alcohol or sulfates(which dry the hair). Do a deep conditioning treatment once a week. You can make your regular conditioner into one by slapping on a shower cap with the conditioner. Don't use hot water on your hair and give it a rinse with as cold as you can tolerate it. If it's long enough, put it in a loose braid/braids overnight. Get a satin pillowcase. Always use a wide tooth comb to detangle when it's wet. Avoid tight ponytails and buns and rubber bands that snag.

While it's true that trims get rid of the split ends, which can run up the hair shaft and cause breakage...

...they don't affect growth of new hair.

When I grew my hair out, I just grew and got no trims for about, mmmm, a year? Maybe more? And my stylist trims off just what is needed to shape, and she honestly doesn't worry about "getting all the split ends." She trims it up so it has shape, I go about every three or four months, but that's because I started highlighting my hair because my blonde-as-a-child hair is now mousey and blah and need the roots done. When she trims, she takes off so little that it looks like a little fluff on the ground, not strands of hair. I don't even think she trims off a 1/2 inch.

I do wear my hair up in a tight bun for work, and it does cause breakage at my temples, but the rest of my hair is slowly encroaching on my belt line...

This was taken in March 2011, I'm the darker haired one. This was Oct this year. Probably six inches? With trims and color treatment, and hair drying and straightening with an iron about twice a month or so?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    While it's true that trims get rid of the split ends, which can run up the hair shaft and cause breakage...

...they don't affect growth of new hair.

When I grew my hair out, I just grew and got no trims for about, mmmm, a year? Maybe more? And my stylist trims off just what is needed to shape, and she honestly doesn't worry about "getting all the split ends." She trims it up so it has shape, I go about every three or four months, but that's because I started highlighting my hair because my blonde-as-a-child hair is now mousey and blah and need the roots done. When she trims, she takes off so little that it looks like a little fluff on the ground, not strands of hair. I don't even think she trims off a 1/2 inch.

I do wear my hair up in a tight bun for work, and it does cause breakage at my temples, but the rest of my hair is slowly encroaching on my belt line...

This was taken in March 2011, I'm the darker haired one. This was Oct this year. Probably six inches? With trims and color treatment, and hair drying and straightening with an iron about twice a month or so?
    I totally love your hair!!! I am having massive hair envy!!