The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    We have one neighbor who immediately begins looking in cupboards, drawers and closets. Apprarently his daughter does the same thing. And, he's hard to stop.
    Fill the med cabinet with marbles next time he's over. Then stand outside the door while he's in the bathroom.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, usually, because my house was built in 1895 and has been renovated, but only a little. And it is usually the first thing people say, "oh, I can't wait to see the house!"

We've also decorated it as a family history museum, and so people want to see all the cool things we have displayed.

But, if it were a "normal" house? No. And there are a couple of areas in this one that I keep closed off!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

When I was a kid, my parents bought this really neat old (1781) farmhouse and did a lot of work on it, so people used to ask to see if fairly regularly, plus occasionally we would get visitors in who lived there way back when.

For me or my house? No.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
    plus occasionally we would get visitors in who lived there way back when.
    That reminds me when the second owner (I'm the 4th) turned up with a friend in tow one weekday morning and wanted to show the house to her friend! 20 minutes earlier and I'd have been wearing only underwear.

The place was between cleanings [cleaner came every two weeks] and there were boxes here and there. I had no idea what GF or I might have left sitting out anywhere, so there was no question at all of going upstairs, though likely the master bedroom bed was made as 95% of the time it is. I reluctantly let her walk inside twenty feet, stand in the living room with the view and point at whatever she could point out from where she stood. It took a lot of crust to turn up unannounced like that, but even more when she disapprovingly asked me about the storage building that GF had located for us which was functional but didn't match the style of the house. At least she approved of the built-in bookshelves I had added to the study.

Of course had she phoned, I would have said no, so it probably was a better tactic to arrive unannounced.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

No. Frankly people are lucky if they make it past the welcome mat, as I'm pretty private.

Also, let's be honest, nobody wants a tour of my undecorated, one-bedroom apartment. It's like "here is a couch, here is an unused kitchen, here is my bathroom full of 10-year-old unmatching towels, that is my unmade bed, here is the pile of laundry I'm avoiding doing, and there are the unfilled picture frames I have every intention of hanging sometime this decade."

Yes. Guests enjoy wandering around looking at my paintings, and I enjoy showing them!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Luseride View Post
    a library/billards room that we call the billabary.
    That's an awesome word you got there.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

If someone had something neat; a newly installed solar panel, a thermometer on every radiator system, new plumbing/air conditioning/insulation trick, yeah I'd love to see it.
    One of those automatic generators for power outages - cool. And then I'd be asking - do you like it, was it expensive, does it work.
    Some of this stuff is in the nature of a public service. If you were the first on the block to install it, all the neighbors should have the chance to see it and ask questions.
    Otherwise, ho hum. But if you put a lot of work into something and are proud of it, yes, by all means show it to me and I will oww and ahh over it.

Oh gee, no! Our house is nothing to show off, no one wants a tour . I show guests where they can put their coat, where the bathroom is and where the fridge is...they won't be needing anything else unless they are staying overnight. I don't particularly care if they wander around on their own, I'm not hiding anything, but there's nothing to show off.

I do not like tours of other peoples' houses either. It's weird. If it's someone close to me, whose home I have been to before and they just bought a new house or did some major rennovations, sure, I'm interested and it's appropriate to show me. People who I've never been to any home of theirs before? No, I don't want a tour.

Growing up we never just gave tours of the house when having people over.
    Now that my parents live part of the year in key west, if people are visiting it's usually from quite a distance so they show them their digs.
    Their houses are pretty average- they aren't grandiose or spectacularly/professionally decorated- but they're still sometimes on the annual home tour hosted by the historic preservation society (in kw and Charleston) but that's a whole different animal than a dinner guest unexpectedly requesting a grand tour!!

I'd never just ask someone for a tour unless they'd been doing lots of renovation or special projects they've told me about.

My mom is a real estate agent, so I've been going on open house tours all my life. We'll regularly pick up the paper to find open houses while on a vacation! And we love the tour of homes too, just fun to see how other people decorate and use their spaces.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

No. Well, I did with my family. And a friend came with me to look at a few houses when I was house hunting so she's already seen it. I probably would have given her a tour when I first bought it if she hadn't already been here.

Generally, though, the house is so messy I don't even want to let anyone through the door. I'd never ask for a tour of someone's house. That just seems a little rude.

Most of our friends have no idea what upstairs looks like.

As a kid it was just not done to go into anybody's parents' bedrooms and I felt I had to raise my kids the same way. I didn't like other people's kids all through my bedroom, though they played in the kids' rooms.

The bathroom. It is very hard to close our bathroom cabinet quietly, it sort of closes itself when it gets to a certain point - and we often smile when we hear that noise....and it is often.

Never thought of anybody stealing prescriptin drugs either, especially on open house tours. People - honestly.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I've given tours of my '73 ranch, before we replaced the original shag carpeting, because it was just so..gag-worthy in its magnificence! Harvest Gold, Electric Blue...oh, and then the Baby Blue Bathroom--the whole thing, every inch, was blue. And, the toilet was the smallest/shortest I've ever seen. Mr. CC's knees were higher than his butt when he sat on it! You felt like you were falling everytime you sat down. People were always amazed at the ghastliness of it all. Now, they come in to see my cool laminate tile floor that has replaced all that shag splendor.

I've been given tours of really fab houses by friends (like the 6000sqft Lindal Cedar mansion!) and a few historical ones. I always kind of find it interesting to see the unique features that someone wants to show off.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I like getting house tours if it is a new house or a cool/unusual house. I don't really give them but there's not much to see - our house isn't very interesting! If someone asks, of course I would oblige. We mostly keep all the doors closed because we don't want the dogs and cats in every bedroom, so the open space (kitchen, DR, LR) is obviously always open, as is the guest bathroom.
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I guess I am the exception.

When I was growing up we ALWAYS gave new visitors a "tour of the ruins".

The house, the front and back stairs, the door in the middle of the hallway to separate the "men's side" from the "women's side" when it was the boarding house for the hired hands, the spot where one hired hand had been murdered by another back before WWII, the workshops (clean and dirty), the swing and the motorycles in the (90x30) hayloft, the garage, the milking parlour full of cars, the humidity controlled store room,the tackroom, the stables, the remains of the cow barn, the remains of the silo, and so on.

It made absolutely no difference that you had to step over piles of parts, or navigate between stacks of magazines, or that the beds were unmade.

If someone didn't want to see it, we were definitely disappointed.

Nowadays, I expect to give someone a tour when they visit- doesn't matter if it has been tidied up or not. But I don't really mind if they don't want to see it.

When I visit someone else's house, I am always happy if they give me a "tour", but if it isn't offered, I don't ask.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

If I have guests have have not seen my home yes I always give a quick tour. It also helps with things like wear to find the bathroom, drinks, and talk about furniture color schemes etc. I enjoy having a tour of homes when I go to a party at a home I have not been at before. I certainly wouldn't feel akward though touring a home though.

I love to decorate, so I love to see other peoples homes, and I find it fascinating to see how other people live, what they like, their styles and tastes.

Also on the other hand since I love to decorate I loved to show my friends, and I was always changing a room, I got bored and would redo a whole bedroom or bathroom, living room or kitchen and when my friends came over they would ask to see my latest project. I also used to keep my home immaculate, every room was spotless and everything put away.

Had a friend who was a real estate agent and sometimes she would bring people over to show them what she meant by a home being show ready.

But now, no. Bought the farm so have a smaller house in order to afford the land. Always busy at the barn so the house kind of gets neglected now. Smaller house is easier to clean yet doesn't get cleaned very often now. And since it's so small, there isn't much I can do for rearranging, the furniture fits where it fits, can't move it across the room or whatever.

So now, I am embarrassed when people drop over as the house usually has a coat of dust or mail on the table or dishes in the sink. I encourage them to lets go out to the barn!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, because people usually ask. Mostly I don't mind. I have a not so typical house--a "new old" that was built to appear old with old doors, floors and fixtures, but as if it had undergone a modern renovation or two. People that haven't seen it usually have questions and want to discuss it...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    That reminds me when the second owner (I'm the 4th) turned up with a friend in tow one weekday morning and wanted to show the house to her friend! 20 minutes earlier and I'd have been wearing only underwear.
    Something like this happened to a friend of mine. She has a fabulous antebellum home that's is amazing. One day there was a knock at her kitchen door and a friend of her's was there with someone standing behind her. She opened the door and the woman said she hope she didn't mind but she brought her out of town guest to see my friend's house--meet Martha. As in Martha Stewart. Yes, MS was brought to her door unannounced for a tour.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    well, yes and no. In our farm house we've done extensive renovations over the years, and it has a lot of neat historical details. So occasionally I have been asked by guests if they could see the other rooms, and I'm always happy to oblige. And, of course, flattered-- who doesn't love to show off something they're proud of. If I'm having guests over, I do make sure the whole house is presentable (even if that means stuffing a few laundry baskets of crap into the closet in a last-minute tidying effort )

But I would never offer a tour unbidden, because then it seems like you're just fishing for compliments or trying to impress. I mean, really, what's the guest going to say when asked if he'd like a tour? (Nah, I'm good, you go ahead without me.) And then of course you have to find at least one thing to compliment in each room you are shown, sincere or not. The whole thing feels forced and awkward.
    We're empty nesters and show the returning kids any changes we have made since they were last home. Other than that, no, unless asked
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We have a huge art collection and unconventional decor, so most of the time people want to see it. We also have a cathedral basement, probably built as a bomb shelter in the 1950s where DH has his workshop. Since his work decorates the house, most people enjoy seeing it.

I like being invited on tours but don't ask if not invited most of the time since most houses aren't that interesting but will ask if it looks like there's something to see. I will always give the host/ess an out if they aren't comfortable.