The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you give guests a tour of your house? Do you expect a tour when you are a guest?

Aside from those times when you have a new house (or new-to-you house), do you "show" your house to guests/visitors? Do you take them on a tour to see rooms that they would not see during the regular, limited course of their visit? If so, why?

Personally, I feel very awkward being given a tour of someone else's home.

Not unless it's a new house and I am having a housewarming party, or if they are relatives...

Quote Originally Posted by ZIL View Post
    Aside from those times when you have a new house (or new-to-you house), do you "show" your house to guests/visitors? Do you take them on a tour to see rooms that they would not see during the regular, limited course of their visit? If so, why?

Personally, I feel very awkward being given a tour of someone else's home.
    seems like we always gave tours of the house. Not sure why. But since 'back home' the bedrooms doors were usually shut, there was not much to see in a 3 bedroom flat. Probably because people wanted to see the new digs. Or were family.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, not unless I'm showing them a painting technique used on a wall, the bathroom vanity I put in, or the custom closets I built. I don't get tours, either, unless it;s in the same vein.

I don't give tours. There's nothing worth looking at in my house. I do have an especially pretty cat (IMO) but he hides from strangers.

When I've been given a tour of someone's home, it's either been a home of some historical significance -like a restored craftsman - or one that's just been seriously, professionally decorated.

No, not unless it is close friends or family.

No but my mama would give you a tour of hers if you came there.

We did just build a new room on our house, a library/billards room that we call the billabary. You would see it but that is because that is where all my neat stuff is and we spend a lot of time there.

Tours would require too much cleaning effort for us. We spend most of our spare time in the barn and on the farm, not picking up the house.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

7 members found this post helpful.

No.
    I point out the potty if needed.
    Not much point in our house ("and here is the MASTER bath, my husband's toothbrush, oh and my face cream, and HERE is the extra bedroom/storage room where the cats have their box and the LAUNDRY room, very impressive collection of weeks worth of unfolded laundry..") have to be a preeeetty slow day to find a house tour interesting!
    I do not expect any tours either!

3 members found this post helpful.

My mother told me it was poor manners to give people a tour of the house. However, while I can generally see the reason behind most mannerly type things, this one eludes me. Maybe it's, as others have mentioned, the assumption that your life is interesting enough to warrant a tour, rather like "Aren't you just DYING to see my vacation pictures?!"

I think that you should give tours during your housewarming party, and if, as BTDT points out, there is something specific to be seen.

I think that guests should be shown their room and the bathroom. I wouldn't show them other people's bedrooms, and I wouldn't walk them into the kitchen and say "And here are the coffee mugs so that you can help yourself!"
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I don't normally. But if someone wanted one, I would give one. I would never ask someone for one.

No, only family, or if it's a new house and they ask to see it. We move a lot so new houses are common for us! Our family is always very interested to see each new place so as soon as they come over they want a tour. I don't mind - I am kind of a neat freak and love decorating each new house.

Since we are always going off to collect some new antique or interesting thing, visiting friends often ask to see something particular (like my antique gumball machine.... but you have to admit, that is pretty fun to play with) so they see more of the house than normal. I don't usually turn that into a "tour" though.

Not unless they're staying over (sleeping at the house). The bathroom and the kitchen get pointed out, as well as wherever the little kids can go off if there are little kids.

Our common entryway is in our kitchen. From there, you can stand in one spot and see into every room in our house. No tour needed.

well, yes and no. In our farm house we've done extensive renovations over the years, and it has a lot of neat historical details. So occasionally I have been asked by guests if they could see the other rooms, and I'm always happy to oblige. And, of course, flattered-- who doesn't love to show off something they're proud of. If I'm having guests over, I do make sure the whole house is presentable (even if that means stuffing a few laundry baskets of crap into the closet in a last-minute tidying effort )

But I would never offer a tour unbidden, because then it seems like you're just fishing for compliments or trying to impress. I mean, really, what's the guest going to say when asked if he'd like a tour? (Nah, I'm good, you go ahead without me.) And then of course you have to find at least one thing to compliment in each room you are shown, sincere or not. The whole thing feels forced and awkward.

No, though the downstairs has an open design -- it's a contemporary -- so they see that part automatically.

For years the lack of tours was because the rest of the place was in no presentable condition. Now it is for the most part, but unless someone needs to rack out overnight and be oriented to the guest room and guest bath, there's really not so much worth seeing. Didn't lavish a lot of money or care on furnishing the other rooms and don't use them much nowadays.

If someone wants to give a tour, I'm game to go look, but more because they probably went to a lot of trouble cleaning it up than from any deep curiosity.

One thing I don't do and can't imagine ever doing, but which I understand a lot of people do, is snoop in the medicine cabinet.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    One thing I don't do and can't imagine ever doing, but which I understand a lot of people do, is snoop in the medicine cabinet.
    We have one neighbor who immediately begins looking in cupboards, drawers and closets. Apprarently his daughter does the same thing. And, he's hard to stop.

No, too much cleaning! Also, at this point in life, it is not my home.

I feel awkward at the kind of homes where the tours are given.:

My Ex would give tours of our place at its messiest!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    I heard a GREAT trick for that--this person placed a bowl full of marbles inside the cabinet, and carefully closed the door in a way that the bowl was leaning against the door. So when the snoop opened the cabinet, the bowl of marbles tipped out and marbles poured all over the bathroom in a clattering mess. The mortification cured that guy of his habit.

But seriously, people do steal prescription drugs that way -- take a few pills at a time so you wouldn't notice them missing. Happens when realtors are showing houses, too.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    I heard a GREAT trick for that--this person placed a bowl full of marbles inside the cabinet, and carefully closed the door in a way that the bowl was leaning against the door. So when the snoop opened the cabinet, the bowl of marbles tipped out and marbles poured all over the bathroom in a clattering mess. The mortification cured that guy of his habit.

But seriously, people do steal prescription drugs that way -- take a few pills at a time so you wouldn't notice them missing. Happens when realtors are showing houses, too.

The cheapie window alarms from Home Depot would work well for this too. I used to use them on my lunchbox at work because someone was stealing my lunch and a friend used it to keep her very nosy, but creative cat out of certain cabinets.

3 members found this post helpful.