The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New field boot zipping up

I got a new pair of field boots (Mountain Horse Richmond) and I love them. The only issue is on my bigger calf (about a quarter inch wider) I can't get the zipper zipped up the last inch or so alone. I am on the upper limit of the width, but if I go up a size I am way on the lower limit, so I thought a little tight was better and when zipped it feels fine. Any suggestions for how to be able to zip it alone? I am guessing once they break in it won't be an issue, but most the time when I ride, no one would be around to help, so I need a trick for those first times.
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

Is there any way you could do it in the Early AM? By the afternoon your calfs are much more swollen than you actually realize. When I put my boots on in the morning, they zip up completely effortlessly, but after a day at school, it takes sitting down and really pulling to get them up. After a few days of wearing them from the early AM until night, they should stretch out enough to fit even in the afternoon.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I know my friend has this boot chain she uses to zip up her tall boots. Its just a long gold chain. Not sure if its an actual thing and that is its intended purpose or not, but it does the trick. Thread the chain through the zipper loop and zip, but SLOWLY AND GENTLY!

Don't worry about them NEEDING to close all the way. Just ride with them slightly open, after a few rides they will probably do up the whole way.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would not ride with the zipper half down, that's the quickest and easiet way to break a zipper, next to walking around with it half down.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

3 members found this post helpful.

I like the morning idea. Or get help until they stretch.

Do be careful with chains. Some bootmakers advise this can break zippers and void any warrantees.

Likewise, I would not zip part way. That would put a lot of pressure on the zipper's teeth, no?

Also, when you do zip, pull up rather than out to reduce pressure on the teeth.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

If its just the tiniest bit of space you need maybe goes without a boot sock on the one leg and wear your thinnest breech? Also I find it easier (when the boots are tight) to point your toe down and pull the zipper up.

If this isn't doing the trick and you need a substantial bit more room "bathtub-method" the top? Best of luck!

I did not mean to ride with it undone half way, I meant zip it up till the little one inch section that you can't do up.

I've also put a piece of firm, thin plastic inside of the zipper to mash the breech material a bit flatter.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    I've also put a piece of firm, thin plastic inside of the zipper to mash the breech material a bit flatter.
    This worked for me too! I used a boot lace threaded through the zipper pull to give a bit more leverage when zipping up. Also, consider wearing riding tights, something thinner than breeches, for a few rides. Once my boots stretched a bit they were fine.

I did the same thing with my new Tredsteps, I have very slim legs but kind of inbetween Slim and Reg calf with, so i went with slim calves since my boots have an elastic stretch panel, figuring once they broke in they would fit. It worked!

However they were pretty tight to start. I took some Horseman's One Step Cleaner/Conditioner and conditioned the inside of the boots as well as the outside between riding.

Bathtub the tops they will fit like a dream after. Put on your thickest breeches and boot socks use warm water and wear until dry. Even better if you can ride a couple times while they dry.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to get it on alone (slight struggle, but made it).
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

I know this sounds crazy, but if you lay flat on your back and lift the leg up in the air, it is easier to get that last little bit zipped up.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I know this sounds crazy, but if you lay flat on your back and lift the leg up in the air, it is easier to get that last little bit zipped up.
    I have the exact same pair of boots that the OP has, and this is exactly what I have done.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Heck, that's the ONLY way I can get into mine.

I recently bought a pair of Ariat tall boots and the sales person at the Dover store fit me. They were literally so tight I felt light headed after 10 minutes of wearing them. The saleswomen along with the manager of the store ensured me that the fit was perfect and kept spraying the boots with a leather stretcher. After a few months of owning them they fit much better, although if its a cold morning and I haven't ridden recently I still use the boot spray and a chain to get them on.

Long story short, I've use a boot chain and stretching spray for boots that won't zip up the last little bit.