The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face IT'S NEW YEAR'S EVE AND I NEED ALL THE LUCK AND FORTUNE I CAN GET.....

So what do you do to increase your chances for good fortune in 2013. I am eating Posole for the luck from the Mexican side, Black-eyed peas from the cajun side and cabbage for money. Does any one else have any other customs for good fortune in a new year? Oh also wearing red for the Chinese side. Please share.

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    So what do you do to increase your chances for good fortune in 2013. I am eating Posole for the luck from the Mexican side, Black-eyed peas from the cajun side and cabbage for money. Does any one else have any other customs for good fortune in a new year? Oh also wearing red for the Chinese side. Please share.
    Buy a lottery ticket?

Apparently this originated with my great-grandmother but my family puts money outside on New Year's. Like a quarter. Supposedly it will bring you luck and fortune in the new year.

I will say no one in my family has ever hit it big, so YMMV
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Buy a lottery ticket?

VA has a New Years Million Dollar Raffle. They only sell a certain number of tickets (I think 500,000?). 4 winners of $1 Million, 4 winners of $500,000, and 400 winners of $500.

I've got 3 tickets (2 were gifts... one I bought myself). I figure it's the best shot of winning a million dollars that I'll have anytime soon haha.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Our family says "rabbits, white rabbits" on the first of every month. The trick is for the phrase to be the first words out of your mouth in the morning. We think saying it both at 12:00 am and once we get up on January 1 to be the best bet!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I cracked a mirror trying to move it from my garage to my truck to take to the dump. I'm hoping that luck will remain in 2012!! :P
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

Spaniards eat grapes as the bell tolls midnight (one grape per bell toll) while wearing at least one piece of red underwear (socks are included, and you don't have to ONLY be wearing the red underwear, LOL. You can wear normal clothes on top). You have to finish the grapes one by one and finish them off completely (no more chewing!) by the last bell toll.