The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheap Beach Living

Does it exist on the North American continent? Or Hawaii?

I have decided that since I qualify for low-income senior housing I might as well live where I want to ... close to the ocean. Only problem is, all the coastal housing I know is very HIGH income.

Is it possible to be poor and live anywhere near the coast? I am picturing someplace fairly flat where I can walk to the grocery store, work, and church, but I don't know if such a place exists outside England, and I doubt I could afford housing in a seaside English village anyway.

But this is a serious inquiry.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

What about a trailer? I know a lot of people around her that have places at the beach, have a trailer in a lot that is close to the beach. I have no idea what the cost is.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

1 members found this post helpful.

Florida.

There are always smaller affordable towns just out side the bigger 'touristy' towns.

3 members found this post helpful.

The poor economy hit Myrtle Beach, SC hard and there are a lot of condos available for an affordable price. You wont find a beach front condo but there are places within a short drive of the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    Florida.

There are always smaller affordable towns just out side the bigger 'touristy' towns.
    Yes, Florida.

Not Hawaii!! You can do what a lot of American expatriots do, go to Mexico or Costa Rica. Not only does your money go a lot further there, they are civilized and have a nationalized healthcare system, and they have great weather.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelbl...?destId=358357

http://internationalliving.com/2011/...-got-it-right/

I was born and raised in Alameda, California. I spent most of my first thirty-seven years there (with a year or so spent inland, in the Central Valley and a couple of years spent in and around the Redding area).

The last seven years were spent in a beach front apartment. I literally had the San Francisco Bay about fifty yards from my patio, with some of the most incredible views in the entire world.

It was reasonably affordable. It wasn't cheap, this was the Bay Area after all. But you didn't have to be a millionaire to live there. God knows I didn't have a lot of money!
    The bus stopped right on the corner. Shopping was a little less than a mile down Shore Line Drive. Alameda is a man made island, and not very big. You could get all over by bus, or a taxi would be an affordable choice.

It can be windy, and foggy. But it was a great place to live.
    Sheilah
    P.S. Alameda is totally flat.

Galveston. It's the world's largest outdoor insane asylum, and it's an incredible place to live. Reasonable, too!!!

Sheilah! I lived in Alameda forever. Now I live in Hayward. NO WAY is that affordable. Lucky to get $1500 a month rent, and nothing really beachy, and it's never warm enough to want to be on the beach. It is NOT cheap to live here.

We should talk! I wonder if we know each other. EHS or AHS?

Second, smaller coastal towns in Florida.
    What do you mean by cheap though? That would probably help people point you in the right direction.

The Great Lakes?

In Florida, particularly Cocoa Beach (which is a pretty nice town, btw - lots of senior stuff to do, places to live, etc.) rents are approx $800 a month. I think that's pretty reasonable. Not waterfront, of course (for waterfront you would have to bump it up to $1200-1500) but that's still pretty decent.

I live 1/2 mile from the Atlantic in an $825 per month 3 bedroom. My mom has a studio right across the street from the beach that's $700. We're in Brevard county Florida.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Check out Briny Breezes, Fl. Between A1A and the ocean, all trailers, median per capita income $35,000.

Don't know about walking to places anywhere in the US near a beach and reasonably priced.

Check Daytona Beach. A friend of mine just sold her condo, small, but very cute, on the beach side of A1A, for $39,000.

http://www.trulia.com/FL/Daytona_Bea...FL/CONDO_type/

You mean really dirt cheap?

Hon. you buy an RV or a 5th wheel to put on the Large Enough To Haul Horses Truck that we on COTH goaded you into getting and live in that. Rent for those in camp grounds is cheap. And when you get tired of one beach, you fly the coop and move to another.

I have known some really cool people who did this and they had fun.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If you want to live cheap on the ocean, your best bet is probably the Gulf coast area (Texas, Louisiana, etc) but just be prepared for the pitfalls of living in these areas as well. Hurricanes, insane humidity, alot of poor areas that you wouldn't want to be in, etc.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

The New Jersey shore.

Quote Originally Posted by smm20 View Post
    The Great Lakes?
    Uh...no beaches except a few parts of Lake Michigan to speak of, unless you like rocks, and I hope you LOVE lake-effect snow. And most of the 'beaches' have very little in the way of beachfront property that's meant to be full-time housing. I personally would not MIND living year-round in one of the beach cottages on the LP side of the straits, but it really is not at all like an ocean beach. There are also places on Lake Superior but we are talking REALLY far north, very cold, and very isolated. And Grand Traverse Bay is pretty but not cheap.

On the plus side, 100% fewer hurricanes, typhoons, and tidal waves.

For Florida I would check out Daytona, as someone suggested. It DOES have a tourist-trap element, especially related to the Daytona 500, but it's a nice beach.

lol, i really want to do this someday. really!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    You mean really dirt cheap?

Hon. you buy an RV or a 5th wheel to put on the Large Enough To Haul Horses Truck that we on COTH goaded you into getting and live in that. Rent for those in camp grounds is cheap. And when you get tired of one beach, you fly the coop and move to another.

I have known some really cool people who did this and they had fun.