The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default deicer broke- best heated water source?

my deicer has stopped working and were going to be getting some nice -20*c windchill this week. need to replace it right away but i thought maybe its time for a real stock tank and all that but the 100gallon tanks are $160 and the deicers that go with those another $60, even the floating deicers are $70 (much more than i thought i paid last time).

looked at getting one of these http://www.sstack.com/product/16-gallon-heated-tub/#
    except they are $115 here and i just noticed they say only good til -20*f? hahah if it only ever got that cold i wouldnt have a deicer!

should i just suck it up and pay $220+tax for the rubbermaid type and the heater that goes in the plug?

any ideas on why my floating deicers stop working? lol

We have four of those heated muck bucket things and they work great although they need topping off religously, there is after all only 16 gallons in there. I can't convert C to F off the top of my head but I know 0 = 32 so we have used ours in 18 degree F temps and it was fine. The oldest one is on it's third season and no troubles.
    We have gone through a bunch of sinkers and floaters in the big galvanized tanks and have had the best success with one type. Mostly ours were getting destroyed by the horses and especially the pigs, we used to go down and thank the lord that we didn't have an electrocuted pig, now we keep the tank heated, outside the stye, and give them buckets twice a day.

I'm thinking about making tank cozies sometime next summer if we ever have any spare time - that's where you set the tank up with a southern exposure, build a plywood box around it and paint it black and cover up most of the top to retain heat.

ETA we bought these and they are more expensive, but they are the type we have had the best luck with in the large tanks. http://www.tractorsupply.com/allied-...1500-w-2170843
    Last edited by ReSomething; Jan. 4, 2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: shift worker syndrome, no sleep means no sense
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

ok my math is way off -20*f is colder than i thought and should work lol! i scrubbed my deicer with baking soda and vinegar in hopes that it was just dirty from the hard water? if its not working tonight i will go get one of those 16gallop tubs tomorrow!

Don't forget that wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects quite the way it does us. If the temp is -10 with wind chill of -30 the inanimate object is still only going to go down to -10, it'll just get there quicker. Hope you have as good service with the muck tubs as we have.
    Incredible Invisible

I have the heated muck tub kind too and it's on year 3 without any malfunctions. Need to fill it every day for 2 horses, but it's low-fuss compared to other heaters.

We have tried just about every tank heater on the market. Each has their drawback either in design or construction. That ones that float, horses play with them, the ones that sit on the bottom with a cage surround get destroyed by the odd horse that plays in the tank, the ones that fit through the tank drain hole have plastic fittings and are easily broken by the odd horse that plays in the tank. So far this one has stood the test of time; http://www.tractorsupply.com/allied-...1500-w-2170843 Even with horses that play in the tank. We use them in 80-100 gallon plastic tanks and the temps get quite cold here in SE PA at times. The draw back to all tank heater is the fact the cost A LOT to run because you are keeping 100 gallons ice free verses only a couple gallons in auto waters at any given time.

I have the 16 gallon muck bucket sized ones for my stalls, and they keep the water from freezing, last night we had -23* F and they didn't freeze.

As others have said, you just have to fill them more often than you would a 100 or 150 gallon tub, but the upside to that, is they are easier to handle and dump when you want to clean them.

I didn't pay that much for mine though...I paid about $70 here:
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...0204ae5&gas=16 gallon heated bucket
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

i gave the deicer a good cleaning with baking soda and vinegar (read online that sometimes they get dirty from hard water), so that fixed it- for less than 24 hrs lol

so i went and bought a 16gallon plug in bucket ($105). i dont mind filling it often, my other tubs only hold 15-20 gallons. i have my horses at home and watering 3/4 times a day is not a problem

thanks!

BTW, your prices are way high. See 100 gal stock tank here.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubberm...pacity-2229901

I love this de-icer:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5

Fraggle was using Celsius temps so she's probably out of the US and the shipping and duties add up.
    Incredible Invisible

My plug type de-icer died after 3 or 4 years right during the cold snap. I bought a $27 drop in heater at Tractor Supply...seems to be fine, plus I didn't have to drain the entire 100 gallon tank and refill it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/allied-...1500-w-2170712

yep im in canada and theres no tractor supply here. best price i could find on a 100gallon tank was $165, some places wanted $200!