The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have practically ranted to friends and on forums and Facebook about people who fixate on some calendar page and define themselves into premature old age and shutting down.

My longest serving friend (7th grade) and I are five weeks apart. We are both in excellent health.

He won't climb a ladder any more, pleading age. The same day he shared that insanity, I spent my lesson jumping a small course. Irrespective of age, some accident or sudden ailment can flatten any of us, but unless and until it does, living in fear and closing down wings of the mansion of our spirit for no better reason than some number or a few wrinkles reflected in the mirror, is the self-fulfilling recipe for doom.

I see people who are 40 sending around those offensive "old fart" e-mail messages that describe ailments and limitations normal people don't encounter until their 80's, if then, as if they were daily facts of life. The only real substantive change beginning around age 40 that affects pretty much everyone is the loss of visual accommodation making it necessary to have driving glasses and reading classes or bifocals.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd love being in my 40ies a lot more if my body wasn't so reluctant to do what I want it to do at times...
    That, and reading glasses. I'm getting to that point.
    Oh well.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I love my 40s! I think I'm 41. Born in 71!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Other women tell me their 60's and 70's were their best decades of life ever, so I have something to look forward to.
    Yeah. That's probably because women have more freedom now. You used to have to wait until your kids grew up and flew the nest and your husband dropped dead before you got to have your own life. (Only kidding for those who are humor impaired)

My forties were awesome! Life really did begin then. I actually learned stuff, some of it I already knew but didn't want to believe, I guess. And I outgrew embarrassment and peer pressure. (Oh yeah I did that in my 30's.)

Now, at 51, I feel some occasional stiffness that fortunately still works itself out quickly. I am also willing to say "I'm old and I don't care what you think." (Oh yeah, I did that in my 30's too. . .except for the old part.) So now I can start to use "I'm old so I don't remember."

Anyway, forties were awesome! I did get a bit put off as I neared 50, but it is only a number. I feel really good and more confident in myself over all than ever.

Yes this last 10 lbs is not in a hurry to go anywhere. . .

Just turned 49, and love my 40's. More confident, no longer envious when I see a cute 20 something girl, care less about other people's opinions of how I dress/things I like, am healthy, have a great relationship that doesn't make me insecure or jealous (as I did in my 20's), and am financially secure and know what direction I am headed. Much happier now than when I was in my 20's/early 30's.

Sure there are a few wrinkles, but I just accept them or know that plastic surgery is always an option down the road, if it truly starts to bug me. Physically feel good, and am very active.

Uh, no! I'm going to be 49 and really am NOT happy about it. I feel old! I am creaky. I'm a lot more tired than I was ten years ago. I'm in fine shape and not overweight, but I go to bed at 8:30 at night. I'd prefer not being so tired and creaky!

Also, I am very unhappy with my chin line, which is starting to sag. I don't really have wrinkles around my eyes, but the chin is really bothering me. I may start saving up for a little "work" in a couple of years.

Yes, that sounds vain, but so what? I'm old enough to speak my mind, at least!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Maybe consider having your thyroid checked. Make sure your doc uses the current normal ranges, not those that LabCorp and others failed to update 8-9 years ago when the American Academy of Clinical Endocrinologists changed them after realizing that the obsolete ranges were failing to diagnose a lot of people who were hypothyroid.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Right there with you...except for for these damn wrinkles and lines that keep appearing on my face