The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I the only one who is REALLY thrilled to be in their 40's?!?

I've been cruising around this forum and some others as well and there is a common theme I keep seeing. It goes something like this 'I'm not in my 20's (or 30's) anymore, so I have given up (fill in the blank)' or
    'I'd do that when I was in my 20's, but no more! Now I just stick to (fill in the blank).
    I would have worn those breeches/colors/etc when I was in my 20's (or 30's), but now I stick to (again- fill in the blank)
    I'll say it, I'm 42 and have NEVER been happier!!! I don't feel stiff/fat/old/clumsy/unfashionable/like I can't ride young horses/etc. I am as healthy as I have ever been, I am more confident than I ever was, I have more disposable income (such as it is!) to do things like clinics and paying for lessons, having top quality tack, etc. When I was younger, I didn't have the confidence that I do now and I sure as Hell wasn't nearly as smart or had decent judgement. This time in my life has brought about such wonderful things and opportunities and I am finally old enough and wise enough to know when to grab them when they present themselves! I would NEVER go back to my 20's or 30's. REALLY. NEVER. I can't be the only one to LOVE this part of life, can I?!

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm getting close to the 50's, but I'm with you. I decided awhile back I'm going with the I'm an old lady so I don't give a damn routine. I tell my students I'm 72, and they're all agog. I look great for 72, don't I?

You just don't spend time on the stupid stuff or caring about it, and reaching a level of financial security sure helps.

I just can't get this 20 lbs off any more, but I gleefully share with everyone that I'm fat and that the riding two horses and pilates isn't enough any more--I need to get in two kickboxing classes a day and just about go faint, but whatever.

Like they say, youth is wasted on the young!

2 members found this post helpful.

I just turned 40. I often contemplate exactly what you mention above. More confidence, love having life experience stories & lesson learned (in life & on horseback).

I LOVE being able to do what I want, when I want, how I want. it's my house, my horse, my life. yay!

I am also glad that I am alive in 2012. As much as I really hate a lot of the ways things are going (urban sprawl, crappy education standards (FYI I am a teacher), enviro issues, etc etc), I am so happy that I can be a single female, live on my own & have a career, bla bla. I am not sure I would have made it if I was born even 20 yrs earlier.

I hope it stays that way...

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I turned 40 this year and love it. I also got divorced love that too! LOL.
    I am way more confident/self assured now that I was in my 20's/30's. I'm as fit or fitter than I have ever been and am looking for new challenges. I'm a nurse and I see people my age and just slightly older in much much worse shape but a lot of them are those that started using the words I can't instead of I can they stopped challenging themselves and just laid down and got old. The 70, 80, 90 year olds I see that are spry and in good health are usually the ones that kept going doing what they were doing or challenging themselves.

I can't wait to see what the future brings and I feel ready to tackle whatever comes :-)
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I am 50 now, but I became a whole hell of a lot more sane in my 40s. Life has not been perfect by any means, but I pick my battles and generally roll with the punches better. I enjoy being middle aged. :-)

My 40's were a lot easier than my thirties. I was so glad to get that decade behind me. The thirties mostly involved the intense focus of establishing myself and getting my careers off the ground. Now the actually day I turned 40 was a difficult day, but looking back, I think it that feeling was more influenced by our cultural emphasis on crossing some imaginary line on that day than anything else. Looking back, a lot of great things happened for us during that decade! Enjoy the ride!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

A good friend of mine told me that life began for her when she turned 40. I was in my early 30s when she said that, and now that I'm well better than halfway through my 40s, I wholeheartedly agree. I no longer worry so much about what people will think, say, etc., and let that hold me back. I'm much more confident in general. I'm riding better now than ever before. Sure, there are aches and pains and the occasional pre-senior moment when something refuses to pop into my head, but hey, that happens to everyone. No point worrying about it.

I'm very fortunate in that I have finally found a job that pays decently and where I am treated well. Being in a situation that was neither for many years was depressing and debilitating, but those days are over, thank heavens. I think that helped a good bit, and I am grateful for it.

I have also realized that I'll have to work harder physically to maintain my fitness level, so in addition to riding, I try to get to the pool 3-5 times per week. Hauling water by hand in the winter helps with that too. :-)

I am 46, love my job, love my life, and do what I want. I show more now that my kids are grown, have adventures on horseback and otherwise, and the only thing I don't do is ride crazy horses but that is because I have more sense than I used to have.

Just this past year I showed more than I ever had, finally did crossrails at shows, won highpoints several time, took up competitive archery which was a blast, and galloped on the beaches of Ireland.

I do tell my students at school that I am a mean ole lady but I figure if I say that enough when I really have to be a mean ole lady then the one doing the complaining to other students won't be believed because I say it all the time myself.

Add me to that list!

It hasn't shaped up to the best decade yet, but I'm trying to remain optimistic! I'm 42, and in the last year I got a divorce, my company was bought and I lost my job a couple months ago, I broke my collarbone in May, and had to retire my horse in September.

But, what I've found is I can survive anything. The divorce devastated me, but I'm on the other side of it. It dragged on for over a year, but I'm officially divorced as of October. I celebrated by throwing away all letters, deleting all emails, donating all clothes, etc that he ever gave me. I purged! I'll never speak his name again, and I'll never 'wait around hoping he'll change his mind' again.

My horse is bored, but fat and getting use to retirement. He's pasture sound, and I can still get on and walk him around. I miss riding him, but I'm very lucky to have other to ride. They're not him, but they are all fun challenges on their own.

I had some nibbles on my resume during the holidays, so I'm optimistic that more will happen once they're over. I can move anywhere, so that will be a new and exciting chapter in my life.

On their own, each one of these would suck. Combined they almost overwhelmed me, but friends and family helped pull me thru. Am I where I thought I would be when I turned 40? No, not yet!

As I read everyone's responses, I think a recurring theme is 'older and smarter!' Not that you can't ride the crazy horse, but you are smarter now and who wants to open that box to begin with?! I have also wondered about how much attitude shapes us. As mentioned, the people who tell themselves that they are 'over and done' seem to create that reality. Middle aged women take such a beating in our culture and in the horse world, I wish there were more stories like the ones in this thread!!

It goes something like this 'I'm not in my 20's (or 30's) anymore, so I have given up (fill in the blank)' or
    'I'd do that when I was in my 20's, but no more! Now I just stick to (fill in the blank).
    I would have worn those breeches/colors/etc when I was in my 20's (or 30's), but now I stick to (again- fill in the blank)
    I find such attitudes- weird. I'm moving into my 4th decade myself, and I find it very- freeing. The pressures of society for all young women to look and act like idiotic anorexic 16-year-olds are now gone, so you don't have to fight against those and can instead be yourself- wear what you want to please yourself, act however you want. I'm pretty established in career and life, so I feel very confident and strong and powerful. I'm as fit, or possibly fitter, than I was when I was younger, so I can do anything I feel like doing. Other women tell me their 60's and 70's were their best decades of life ever, so I have something to look forward to.

So far I'm enjoying my 40s. I do feel more confident, wiser, and more open. I can't see as well as I used to, it is harder to be in shape, and I do compare my body to my younger self, so I just try to not look in the mirror! I don't care to ride the crazy horses anymore - I have nothing to prove. I have my little mustang and we play at dressage and trail riding and maybe we'll jump a few fences every now and then.

I am very lucky in my life and count my blessings every day. I love where I live, I love my friends, I'm happy to be taking a break from working, I'm enjoying taking on new roles at home, I'm focusing on learning new things that have always interested me....life is good!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I'd be thrilled to be in my 40s. I passed that benchmark twenty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    I'd be thrilled to be in my 40s. I passed that benchmark twenty years ago.
    Beat me to it...I was going to say "Oh that's so 20 years ago!"

Hey-50s are better! I find that things no longer matter to me such as the "right clothes, car,etc. but the best part is how much fun all of my friends are! Just go to a COTH Hunter Princess hunting weekend at Hunter's Rest!
    Think "Steel Magnolias" and Kathy Bates in " Fried Green Tomatoes..".

Quote Originally Posted by ViewParadise View Post
    ...It goes something like this 'I'm not in my 20's (or 30's) anymore, so I have given up (fill in the blank)' ...
    Wusses. I didn't start riding the jumpers until I was in my 50s. Your best years are yet to come, live them to their fullest.

But pay attention to that little voice in the back of your head that occasionally tells you some of the things you used to do may not be the best idea now. It's known as 'survival instinct'.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'll be 40 in 2013, and I can hardly wait!
    I can describe my 30's up to this point as going through the Fire Swamp,
    getting out of Lightening Sand, and being stalked by r.o.u.s.es.
    The flame spurts... well... those are like hot flashes. Coming out of no where and you FRY.
    ....... pausing

I loved my 40s, my best decade for sure.

I liked my 30s better, but I have been put through the wringer the last 4 years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.