The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sleep Number bed.. can't give it away.

Have been mattress hunting for years and DH had purchased one of these, dual chamber style beds and decided it wasn't for him. We now sleep on a Temper pedic and love it

Turns out we're not the only ones who don't appear to be fans of that select sleep number mattress. What give? We can't give ours away. Even tried selling on eBay and zero bites..

Was the marketing campaign THAT effective??

Who would buy a used mattress? Ew.

7 members found this post helpful.

Um.... It's an AIR mattress. Not my underwear.

With in tact and quite-still-useable hoses, remote, motorized pump.. the whole works. I would think people at the very least would cannibalize it to salvage the parts that may have failed on their own.

It would appear we're not the only ones who drank the cool aid, then realized it wasn't all that great afterall. Though I do enjoy being able to adjust firmness nightly depending upon that day's workout.

5 members found this post helpful.

How long have you had it? Does it all work? How big? What are you asking for it?

It's a shame you're in CT, too far for me to come look at it.

We have one we both love it. We may be living out of 2 houses for a bit, and there's a bit of discussion going on over which house gets the good bed

We have one too, and have been quite happy with it! Which model do you have? We have a friend who had one of the lower end models and she never liked it - always felt like she was sleeping on an air mattress - but we've never had that issue with ours.

We were thinking of getting one..would prefer a used one from someone with references as we don't have the $$ for a new one, and what if we don't like it?

Mattress sales are tough...especially if they aren't really inexpensive.
    Maybe try contacting local consignment shops...that might be an option. People can come see it and see the condition it's in.

Heck, new mattress sales are tough. We bought a mattress a little over a month ago...holy crap prices are all over the place. We did find *one* that worked (I'm all sorts of fakakta and need a ridiculously squishy and adjustable mattress) and it was a tempur-pedic. The Cloud Supreme. With adjustable base. Like laying on heaven.

But the $5k price tag!

No, seriously, five thousand dollars.

We bought an extremely similar one for $1400 (mattress and adjustable frame) except now it has the cheesy name of Bob-o-pedic, LOL! The rest of the tempur-pedics all had reasonable to semi-reasonable price tags. But that model was twice as much as most of the others!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I second the poster that said it's a mattress. Regardless of the quality, people generally do not buy used mattresses. It's just... gross. You say it's a mattress, not your underwear. Umm. You realize many people copulate on and sleep nude on mattresses, correct? Lots of body fluids of all kinds get on mattresses. You couldn't pay me enough to take someone's used mattress.

Good luck getting rid of it. We just got a new memory foam mattress and love it. We gave our old mattress to a close friend in college who was comfortable taking a used mattress from us.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    You realize many people copulate on and sleep nude on mattresses, correct? Lots of body fluids of all kinds get on mattresses. You couldn't pay me enough to take someone's used mattress.
    While it does seem a bit off to buy a used mattress, and I would not do it unless I financially had no choice, I don't know if the situation is as dramatic as this. I assume that people who feel as strongly as the above quote never go on vacation and sleep in hotels.

ETA: OP's best bet may be to donate the mattress to charity and take the tax deduction.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    While it does seem a bit off to buy a used mattress, and I would not do it unless I financially had no choice, I don't know if the situation is as dramatic as this. I assume that people who feel as strongly as the above quote never go on vacation and sleep in hotels.

ETA: OP's best bet may be to donate the mattress to charity and take the tax deduction.
    I never considered the idea of a tax donation- that's a good idea! I wonder, though, where one would donate it?

I can't say I never go on vacation, but I will say sleeping in hotels is a serious anxiety producing experience for me (and not just because of the beds, but the carpets).

There has been major, major publicity in many cities over the past few years telling people not to buy used furniture like mattresses and sofas due to bed bug infestation. I'm certainly not suggesting the OP has a bed bug issue, but many people have stopped buying used upholstered furniture due to bed bugs. I know my local Goodwill stopped taking upholstered furniture donations because so many things were coming in with bed bugs.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

1 members found this post helpful.

I freakin LOVE my sleep number... but I wouldn't buy a used one. Bed bugs and "stains". *shudder*
    You are what you dare.

1 members found this post helpful.

If it's the kind with the topper, you can replace those. And if it doesn't have a topper, you can add one.

Do none of you people ever sleep in a hotel/motel/other people's houses? You realize that other people have slept on those mattresses, right? And done things on them?

19 members found this post helpful.