The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Easy Apple Desserts

I was asked to bring a dessert to a NYE get-together I'm going to (no more than 4 people). We have a ton of apples in the fridge that I'd love to get rid of, but unfortunately none of them are baking apples/Granny Smiths. I'm also not much of a fusser and tend to get a little intimidated by complex baking. Does anyone have some easy apple-related recipes that don't necessarily require specific baking apples? BF is a bit of a foodie (he's making lobster for dinner!) but we're both of the opinion that good food is good food, even if it's not "fancy"!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

City of delusion in the state of total denial

There are tons and tons of delicious things you can do with apples, but this mosaic apple tart from Smitten Kitchen is one of my favorites.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I made an apple crumble once time. It really does not matter what kind of apple it is, really, you can sprinkle a bit of lemon juice if the apples are too sweet.

Not sure about the exact ingredients, I gave the cookbook to my mom....
    but it had a little bit of flour, white and brown sugar, rolled oats and a little bit of butter in it for the crust.

simple to make and delicious, with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.

you sliced the apples, put them in a oven proof dish, put the topping on, a little bit of water and stuck it in the oven.
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/apples/r/bl00108c.htm
    this is very close to what I made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Apple upside down cake with cranberries? Not too much sugar, I always cut sugar from the recipe. Super duper easy, too. I made a cranberry apple cobbler and it was really good.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Scalloped Apples! So easy and simple and tasty. I've used Grannies, Galas, Fujis, and Honeycrisps and they're all good here. Just whip up some homemade whipped cream in a bowl (though RediWhip is fine!) and you are good!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Scalloped-Apples
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Scalloped Apples! So easy and simple and tasty. I've used Grannies, Galas, Fujis, and Honeycrisps and they're all good here. Just whip up some homemade whipped cream in a bowl (though RediWhip is fine!) and you are good!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Scalloped-Apples
    Apple pie flavor from a mix-it-all-together recipe in a microwave? That's downright dangerous!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Ina Garten's apple tart: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html. You don't have to use cooking apples and it's an easy no-fail recipe. Better than apple pie IMO.

And without the "guilt", fussing and gluten of a crust! Really, its goo-ood. I'd go kinda heavy on the butter and mix white and dark brown sugar to make it a dessert dish. Elegant in its simplicity. Try it with a couple apples tomorrow and see what you think-I can see adding Chinese 5 spice but I love it as is.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I like this rustic tart: first make an easy crust: cut 1/2 c butter into 1 1/4 c flour and 1/2 tsp. salt. Then stirring with a fork add, gradually, up to about 1/3 c ice water. When the mix clumps together, form it into a ball, press into about a 6" diameter disk, wrap in plastic wrap or bag and chill for at least 1/2 hour.

Then roll this out into as big a disk as you can. Transfer it to a baking sheet and dump onto it handfuls of the following mixture: sliced apples, some brown sugar, cinnamon, if you like, or nutmeg. Turn up and inward the outside two or three inches of the crust. Bake at 350 until crust is browned and apple/sugar mixture is bubbly. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Soooo easy & always gets raves. You can make it with a single apple variety, but I think it comes out best if you use several varieties - one of this, one of that what ever you have on hand. Using several varieties gives it a fuller bodied, more complex flavor. Somewhat tart firm apples are best, but just about any baking/cooking variety will work.

Swedish Apple Pie

Core and slice apples. Do not peel.
    Fill pie dish 2/3 full with apples.
    Sprinkle apples with 1 Tbsp sugar and 1Tbsp cinnamon.
    In separate bowl melt 3/4 butter.
    Add:
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup flour
    1 egg
    pinch salt
    sprinkle (roughly 1 tsp) vanilla
    Mix together,
    Stir in 1/2 cups chopped nuts. I use walnuts. You can leave out the nuts if someone has allergy problems but using them gives the pie a better flavor IME.

Pour this batter over the apples.
    Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or til light golden brown and no longer doughy. (Time may vary a bit depending on your oven and how juicy the apples are.)

I don't particularly like to cook but I've been making this for years because it is so easy & no fail. Enjoy!

1 members found this post helpful.

This is by far my favorite apple dessert recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...le-Cake-361150

If you have a good mixer, it's really easy to make. I don't whisk the ingredients by hand at all, I just put them in the orbital mixer with a whisk attachment and add the ingredients to the bowl, though I do fold the apples in gently with a spatula at the end like they suggest.

I made it several times with Cortlands, since we had tons of them this fall, and it was wonderful.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Thumbs up

You don't need special "baking" apples to bake -- it used to be that the only apples you could get in the store were Red Delicious -- and we made yummy pies, crisps, dumplings, etc. etc. etc.

MANY easy things -- pies are EASY if you buy the crusts. I like the frozen ones in foil pans, but there are LOTS of other ways to buy them.

Apple crisp -- for a standard baking dish, put in sliced apples plus a littlr spice and flour. Top with 1/3 cup EACH of butter, flour, brown sugar and uncooked oatmeal, plus a little spice and a PINCH of salt. Mix up toppimg ingredients (it will be crumbly) and sprinkle on the apples. bake until done (about half an hour at 350 degrees).

Baked apples -- core the apples and remove peel from the top third of each. Arrange on abaking sheet and fill the middles with a mixture of raisins, nuts and brown sugar. Bake until the apple part is soft at about 350.

Coffee cake -- make coffee cake as directed on the Bisquick box and add BUNCHES of chopped apples to the batter.

Fritters -- make doughnut batter, adding chopped apples. Fry.

Waldorf salad.

My favorite turkey stuffing -- make Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing as per package directions, adding quite a bit of grated apple and some sherry to the hot water before putting in the dry stuffing from the package