The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post

I, too, would like to do the BN 3day at Southern 8ths Farm. I have not told my DH, yet. I suspect that I will get a, "Are you kidding me!" I can dream, can't I?
    Let's do more then dream...I figure you got way more experience then me, but perhaps we can help each other by mutual encouragement, tracking progress and setting that goal for 2014. Mayhap if I make a commitment of "if you go I'll go" then it will inspire me a little more to get out there when its friggin cold and practice, to focus that little bit more on riding regularly. Lets make a bet, lower position pours the champagne to the better score....we best bring two bottles :-) See you at So8s in 2014!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in a rebuilding year. All previous plans were built around my now retired pony. I have a new greenie that's still learning to accept contact and I'm not sure if she's going to be much of a jumper. My trainer is letting me turn her big, giant warmblood dressage horse into an eventer, we'll see how that goes. I also have the 21 year old Holsteiner that belongs to the same trainer that I took to her first event in September. If the other two need more time I want to take her BN and qualify for the AECs.

More details here on the running goals (and work) http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...inds-down.html
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

1. Try to get rehabilitated from my hip replacement so that I have some semblance of control over my left lower leg... Oh, and get the rest of me fit as well
    2. Lose the 10 # I gained while laid up...
    3.Get my 3rd level scores for my bronze medal
    4.event my OTTB - BN and hopefully the YEH with her this year cant wait to start her xc schooling !
    5, get my almost 3 yr old hacking out

I am THRILLED for the new year!

I have this lovely OTTB mare to get going and hopefully show BN by the end of the summer. We have only had a few rides this year--she's just been rehabbing a stifle and letting down--but what we have done has been very promising and I am quite excited about her prospects.

I also have the baby horse (officially turns three tomorrow!) to get started under saddle. I hope to put about 30 days on her in the late summer before putting her back out for the fall and winter.

2013 should be a lot of fun!

T3D!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Now that my OTTB knows how to canter properly, and has taken to jumping like a duck takes to water ....hoping to get our feet wet doing some Intro level events! Also want to make it a goal to get out & school cross country as much as possible.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

*comes out of lurking*

I had big plans for the past season, most of which didn't come to fruition due to time and financial constraints. I'm hoping this year will be a big more successful.

-Compete in at least 3 recognized HTs. Hoping to start with a Starter Novice in May and finish with a BN in September.
    -Go trail-riding more, and get to the local state park at least once a month.
    -Take up running! I've been meaning to for the past two years, and though I start out strong, I never seem to keep it going for more than a week. I need to actually stick to a program.
    -Get into vet school, or if the admissions committees decide I'm not worthy again, get a better job. I've had the hardest time finding steady employment, so I'm probably going to have to talk to the career department at my former college, but it would be nice if my life had a semblance of direction again.

2012 was a major disappointment in pretty much every conceivable way. I hope 2013 is a lot better.

I am joining my college eventing team with one of my horses this year; in a perfect world I would also take him to the Heart of the Carolinas Novice 3 Day in May (note- perfect world plan only as I believe that this happens in the middle of finals week!). I also plan to take more regular lessons on him when I have the time and money- being in grad school is tough on the budget!

My young horse is having suspensory issues, so hoping to find a breeding lease situation for her and give her some time off while I save up money for the surgery the vet thinks she needs; kind of bummed about that because I was looking forward to really getting her competition career going- she's quite nice ad a lot of fun when she's sound. I also got my older horse back earlier this month, so hopefully I can find him a job as he is still lower-level sound and loved being ridden again, although his first foray as a lesson horse didn't go quite as well as hoped- he's never learned the concept of just following the rail!

Mr. PM has set his sights on the Heart of the Carolinas N3D and is already hard at work. Major breakthrough this weekend on the flat work, now to get SJ whipped into shape.

My main man, the mighty monster pony, has had a month off, will be getting some major joint help this week and then it's back to work. I hope to move him up to intermediate in the fall. New pony has been driving for about a month now, and had started steady work this past week. It has been so much fun getting this guy started and I hope he will make his professional debut in the fall as well.

The big horse - lots of changes for the big horse. Not quite what was planned but everything happens for a reason and we are super exicted about 2013!

Forgot to add I'll have four more articles on combined driving for EN this winter/spring, in case anyone wants to walk on the wild side. . .
    Last edited by pegasusmom; Jan. 1, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

I have a new greenie too, and I am so excited to see where 2013 takes us! We're doing ground work and manners now. I'm hoping to do in-hand work soon following the exercises in this book. I can't wait to see how far we can get in 2013!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    arabracer,

Thank you for the tip about coconut water.
    Coconut water! Gag! Is there a there a trick to swallowing that stuff???

A lot of my goals depend on the new guy I picked up in September, just started taking lessons a month ago and am now bringing him back from a nasty colic scare over the weekend. So with that my goals/plans are:

1.) No more colics! He's getting electrolytes in the winter now and no more excuses for me of not riding because "well, one more day off won't kill him" because it nearly did...

2.) Regular lessons, as I can afford them.

3.) Find myself a friggin' job to pay for #2...

4.) Take Brolio to some off site lessons with a trainer my trainer sees regularly for some H/J lessons.

5.) Take Bro to a H/J show or two in early spring, maybe even the "big" coliseum show in April

6.) Depending on how he feels about xc (I don't think it will be an issue) compete at BN, maybe even N by the end of summer

7.) Clinic with Leslie Law in May and Lucinda Green in October

8.) Ride at least 2 horses/day while I have the time and try to do so at least 3x/wk when gainfully employed

9.) Possibly take on another horse to compete this summer to keep my skills sharp and possibly move myself up to Training

All this should be much easier than in 2012 when I was gone for a total of 8 weeks during April-August!

I didn't get to compete in any HTs this year due to a high suspensory. Fortunately, I am half leasing a new guy for the spring season who I'm quite excited about.

I don't make plans or goals anymore, as every time I've made a goal, something has come up to prevent that goal ever being realized with that horse . Now I just have hopes.

For 2013 I hope to be able to take my girl over to the mainland for a clinic or an event (at whatever level- hopefully up to PT[novice]) without the resultant stress-induced impaction colic and related vet bill that followed our lone foray last summer. If all goes well then I'll attempt another one or two. She'll be 5.
    If I don't feel her nerves or stomach can take it, then I'll have to stay on the island and do some dressage shows (up to 1st level hopefully) and the local, unrated schooling events, and maybe a h/j show to get my jumping fix. At least we usually have several clinics we could attend as an alternative to competitions.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    1. Compete at the Mother's Day Classic. I've been wanting to for the past 2 years but usually end up volunteering. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
    One of my goals is also to get to NWEC this year - and hopefully meet you, finally!

I'd like to get the big guy out at BN, hopefully at NWEC in May. This is all dependent on 1) funds, and 2) my ability to get him fit and going solidly enough to be confident that he's ready. I'd like to do at least 2 recognized events with him this season (ideally more like 4), in addition to the dressage shows I already have planned. Our first GMO show is in February, so I better get cracking on that. I'm hoping to be able to move him up to First level after a few more shows - our last show of the 2012 season he was less than a point away from high point of the entire show with a 71% in Training. I'd like to be schooling Second solidly by the end of the year (we have bits and pieces now, but my sitting trot needs major work again). I wish recognized events weren't so expensive, or that we had more one day/unrecognized trials available around here., because that's a major hurdle for us.

Long-term, I'd like to make it to a T3DE with this horse, but I feel like we're running against the clock and it will be at least another two years before we'd even be *qualified*, assuming he would have blasted through BN, N and regular-style Trainings. He may decide he's ready for retirement before then.

Other goals include horse camping with Mr. Heinz, ponying the new baby everywhere I possibly can, and probably backing him late in the summer once he's grown a little more.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1. Survive the winter. Get to the gym twice a week--it's not much, but it's as much as I can stand going to the gym! When warm weather returns I can get back to exercise-as-byproduct-of-living-on-a-farm. 2013 barn to-do list includes a new piece of fence to permanently enclose the barn's courtyard and resurfacing the dirt paddock--the fence in the lower corner is only about 3' with the slow migration of my sand in that direction!

2. Get Keebler safely off to his new kid in Florida (see scubed's list!) with all his gear, new shoes, shave and a haircut and a kiss on his freckled nose for luck. I will miss that colorful, opinionated, smart little horse!

3. Get Boscoe legged up, fit, and ready to head out in the early Spring (around here that's May) and aim for the T3D at IEA in June. Also aiming for the one in Kentucky in October. If all were ideal and some green flags were to appear on the horizon I would be OK with that, but it's not a burning goal at this point.

4. Get Bonnie into the gene pool, maybe, after she finally earned her place with a stellar year out competing in 2012. She's going to be 13 so it's kind of now or never. If "never", then she will hopefully be my 2nd level dressage horse for some dressage shows this summer--something I always mean to do but rarely manage since "dressage" and "fun" are not words I typically use together!

5. Big family trip to Europe this summer, so the non-horse aspect of my life is centered around that a little bit for the next six months. In a good way--planning vacations is fun in direct proportion to how complicated the trip is going to be!
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    4. Get Bonnie into the gene pool, maybe, after she finally earned her place with a stellar year out competing in 2012. She's going to be 13 so it's kind of now or never.
    Bonnie is going to be 13?! Holy hell, time sure flies quickly!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

What's a GMO? If you make it to NWEC for schooling let me know when and maybe I can meet you there? DH is putting real flooring in the LQ this year and hopefully finishing the windows and installing a BR door.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

No plans, I too see that as a four letter word. Goals yes, but I don't know if I'll be able to even go beyond thinking them. My job may take me overseas for a few years, and I am pretty sure I won't be riding where I'm likely to go. To bad it couldn't have been Ireland.

Anyway here goes.

1.) Get the High Queen to come sound.
    2.) If that doesn't happen, try to figure out how to afford the packer I need, or a packer minded OTTB that I can afford.
    3.) Get to more HT's this year.
    4.) Find a new trainer I love, mine moved out of state this winter.
    5.) Complete a BN horse trial. Came close a couple of times, but the High Queen either had a melt down in dressage or SJ, or we got rained out of XC.
    6.) Get a dressage saddle.
    7.) Take more dressage lessons.
    8.) Trail ride somewhere I haven't been.
    9.) Cross my fingers and hope my job doesn't take me to Japan.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/