The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Looking forward to 2013! What do you have planned?

Let's let 2012 go and get started on 2013! What's the year going to bring for your eventing plans?

For me, I have three very very nice horses to point toward events this year and I am very excited to try and reach some individual goals with all of them.

I rode three today in about 27 windchill -- patting myself on the back -- but there are going to be a lot more of these if I hope to get where I want to be this year.

I have decided to put together a couple of clinics for the first time this winter, since it is difficult to go south for me and I really envy those who can. I'm bringing someone to me rather than go to them, and I hope it works out (weather can be so iffy and it's always a nailbiter if enough folks show up but I think it will work out.)

What's your plans for 2013? And please -- feel free to write a LOT about your plans!

Happy New Year!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like fun!!!!!!!

LOTS OF PLANS for me! I will be attending a dressage clinic with Lilo Fore in February for two days. She is awesome! Then in March, I will pick an eventing clinic to go to. There are usually a couple BNT clinics within 2-3 hours of me in IL. I also will do some schooling shows in April to get him ready for the season. I am hoping to go to Penny Oaks and May-Daze for May. Then Silverwood and Barrington in June. I will be leaving for college in July so I am giving my horse that month to adjust to a new boarding facility. I haven't decided where I am going yet but I am thinking Kentucky!

I will hopefully show a couple of time in August and September ending with Hagyard in Oct. Looking to do a couple of BN events and then move him up to N. We will be doing lots of XC schooling and conditioning! YAY! I'm so excited for this season.

Been thinking a lot about 2013.... I'm at a great barn with a super eventing pro, and am enjoying my first foray into the "dark side." I am *hoping* I can get and keep my mare sound enough to do some lower level dressage. If not, I am going to retire her, resume lessons on my trainer's school horses, and try to find a half lease on something. I would love to try some speed bump eventing on a horse that knows the ropes.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

2 members found this post helpful.

Goal #1: Get le pony back from my friend in KY in February!

Goal #2: Get riding and competing again! This enforced break from the sport is starting to drive me to distraction...

Goal #3: Finally, finally, FINALLY get a MER at CCI2* in the fall.

1. Lose the 10 lbs I've gained since Nov 1.
    2. Sell a horse or two.
    3. Buy a horse
    4. Get Mick fi, competing, qualified, and do a CCI2* at Fair Hill
    5. Get my two young horses out and about to school events/shows.
    6. Keep my day job

AH I'm really hoping that 2013 will be the year it all begins for me!!

When I get back from Wellington in April I'm going to be horse shopping

After that I don't know what my goals will be, since I don't know what my horse will be like, but I would LOVE to take some lessons from Torrance Watkins and Stephen Bradley to get me started.

I've never done a clinic before so that's on my 2013 to-do list as well.

And then the big goal, if it's possible, would be to enter my first event ever. I'm all giddy just thinking about it!

For the past five years, I have posted my goals, which have included going to Aiken. Every year, either I or my mare have had an illness, which prevented us from going. So, I will not have Aiken as a goal this year.

I hope to go to as many events as my body can handle, which precludes any events held during the summer. For some reason, I do not use great judgement about hydration. Spending six days in a hospital because of dehydration, twice within two years, deems me to be an idiot.

I want to attend clinics. I am hoping that Sinead Halpin will come back to KY. I would love to go to camp, but they are held in the summer, so they are out for me.

Mainly, my goals are to have fun with my horse, improve our dressage scores and stay out of the hospital!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Auburn, I am taking the summer months (June through mid August) off because Mick does poorly in the heat (it is that subcutaneous pony fat!), and the footing here is generally too hard for my taste. I may take the youngsters out, but they will be doing baby stuff with little exertion. It just isn't worth it. There is plenty to do during those months in the early mornings in a sand arena as the sun comes up. So my first event back after the spring will hopefully be Richlands, and if not there, then Five Points.

Staying out of the hospital should be added to my plans as well! I hate it when that happens!

My main goal is to get the boy some mileage at Training, we only did one last season, so I'd like to do more or less this whole season at Training. Maybe area championships if things work out. I'm bummed because it looks like the GMHA N3D/T3D got cancelled for this year, I was thinking about attempting to qualify for that. If all goes well, maybe we'll do the Prelim/Training at the last event of the season.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Can't wait to shop for ellemayo's horse!

I don't make plans, but I do work toward goals....plan is a four letter word in my book.

My goals? FINISH a prelim with Toby....ok, I really think this will actually be easy. I just have to my stuff together, mentally, and not fall off.

So, really, I want a solid prelim season with him. I would like to improve our show jumping (I'd like to keep the rails more in the one or none department in less in the 3 or 4....working on that). I would like us to score like we CAN in dressage, and stay in the low 30s, or better. Maybe one day we'll get a 7 on our medium trot, too!!!! I think xc is our "easy" phase, so that's really more about putting it all together, getting a little smoother, no freight train rounds, and reminding him that while, yes, he is a total badass, he does have to respect some fences and not be over bold.

I hope to get my CCI* done. I'm leaning toward Virginia in the fall vs Midsouth, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

More of a pipe dream than a goal, but if all goes smashingly well through the majority of the season, I would love to try my hand at an intermediate or two....but, right now, it is all about smoothing out the prelim, fixing my mental game (sports psychologist and equitation lessons!), and having a way better year than last.

Off the horse goals: ride my bike(s) more.

I always feel I should be knocking on wood with crossed fingers holding a four leaf clover before posting any of this stuff, but:
    1) Event at training with Keegan, first time for me above novice since 2008. Starting the season with the Leslie Law clinic in January.
    2) Sell the remaining two horses and get Keebler a job
    3) Sell the rest of the dressage saddles and get myself one I love as much as I love my jumping saddle
    4) Run a lot (big running plans this year)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

my goals would include:

- Continue to improve our dressage and find "straightness" with the mare
    - obtain a low 30 score in dressage (hoping for ever better scores with each test!)
    - continue being successful at Training this year with thoughts of Prelim.
    - sell my TWO close contact saddles that are sitting in a closet and buy a dressage saddle!
    - Leslie Law clinic in May!
    - continue to work on fitness - both the mare and myself

My goal for today? Dig the trailer out of the snow and make it to a lesson x.x Also a goal is to make it through this (@*#$ winter, I'm sick of it already!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    For the past five years, I have posted my goals, which have included going to Aiken. Every year, either I or my mare have had an illness, which prevented us from going. So, I will not have Aiken as a goal this year.

I hope to go to as many events as my body can handle, which precludes any events held during the summer. For some reason, I do not use great judgement about hydration. Spending six days in a hospital because of dehydration, twice within two years, deems me to be an idiot.

I want to attend clinics. I am hoping that Sinead Halpin will come back to KY. I would love to go to camp, but they are held in the summer, so they are out for me.

Mainly, my goals are to have fun with my horse, improve our dressage scores and stay out of the hospital!
    Just thought I'd add my two cents' worth on hydration-I have started drinking coconut water and it really makes a difference! I have an endurance background and have learned to survive the Florida heat. Electrolytes for yourself are also helpful-I use the powerbar squirt type. No drinking or sodium day before-limit caffeine.That big cup of coffee is "just for rent".

Like YB, I'm leary of "plans" when dealing with horses. However, goals for 2013

* Complete BN at three HTs, finishing with Numbers.
    * Compete at Novice at JB in Nov as set up for...
    * (2014) Compete at Southren Eights Long Format Event, BN

Extras,
    * Clinic with Sinead Halpin, Becky Holder, or Jimmie Wofford
    * Lesson with Lellie Ward at Paradise Farm
    * Take my mare Mercedes to a Dressage Training Level test (II or III)
    * Finish my home arena
    * Keep my day job so I can still have fun riding.
    * oh and do a HP with Sterling, trail ride to the lake and let the horses swim

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    I always feel I should be knocking on wood with crossed fingers holding a four leaf clover before posting any of this stuff, but:
    1) Event at training with Keegan, first time for me above novice since 2008. Starting the season with the Leslie Law clinic in January.
    2) Sell the remaining two horses and get Keebler a job
    3) Sell the rest of the dressage saddles and get myself one I love as much as I love my jumping saddle
    4) Run a lot (big running plans this year)
    Running plans too! Love to hear them!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

My goals are finally gonna kick in this year!
    1) Take regular lessons with a jumping/xc trainer and my dressage trainer at LEAST every other week (I am 22 and continually suffer from a disease called "I'm-always-broke-because-I-spend-most-of-my-money-on-my-horse-but-I'm-cool-with-it". Search the threads, this is a real disease!)
    2) RIDER AND HORSE FITNESS
    3) Run/Jog. A lot. Getting up close and personal with shin splints
    4) Do my first event!

Its been hard to get any of this accomplished because either I am working way to much to be able to do any of this or haven't been able to take lessons enough. Not this year! 2013, MAKING MY DREAMS COME TRUE!

Goals with horses can so easily turn into own-goals. 2011 was a bad enough year to last a lifetime. 2012 was much improved. I hope to continue on the up trend.

1. Safe and sound eventing seasons for my four competition-age horses. The two homebreds should be moving up to Prelim, the two projects are just starting out.

2. A healthy Chairman foal for Kissy Kiss. If only I could remember when this event is supposed to take place. April? May? Also, I want a filly foal. No boys for me.

3. Fewer bucks on fat BC pony. Also fewer pounds on him, so that I don't have to keep calling him 'fat'.

4. Seniors stay healthy. This is always a worry.

My goal is simply to ride more. 2012 was a crazy year for me and I just did not get a lot of riding in. This year, I want to ride, ride, ride and start taking regular lessons again. Both horses are ready to DO something!

These goals are on the fence because so often they get derailed:

1. Compete at the Mother's Day Classic. I've been wanting to for the past 2 years but usually end up volunteering. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
    2. Aspen Farms spring HT
    3. Trail ride to places I haven't been every year
    4. Start Xena under saddle - in the fall.
    5. Sell my dressage and Berney Bros saddle and buy something that fits
    6. Go on at least 1 pack trip. Been wanting to go for the past 5 years so need to go this year. If DH would just plan a weekend or two, no problem. He usually likes to plan them when I've already entered a HT that weekend.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

arabracer,

Thank you for the tip about coconut water. I do not drink coffee, but do drink iced tea (caffine there, too). Sometimes, we go over to eat at the local BBQ restaurant, which is close to the KHP. I am certain that my sodium content is off the charts after eating there. No more tea for me and I will stay away from the BBQ place. I never, ever, ever (I am too old for Taylor Swift), ever want to get so dehydrated that I have to spend time in a hospital!

BTW, where do you buy coconut water?

I, too, would like to do the BN 3day at Southern 8ths Farm. I have not told my DH, yet. I suspect that I will get a, "Are you kidding me!" I can dream, can't I?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!