The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chantilly Lace 1986-2012 - goodbye, baby girl

I had to let my old girl go yesterday.

She came into my life during my first year of college. She was 6, super green, and a typical chestnut mare, so the first few years were a little rocky at times - I remember showing her in a double twisted wire one of her first times out - but eventually we developed a partnership. She won countless ribbons in the children's/adult and schooling jumpers and I can count on one hand the number of refusals she had in the 10 years that I showed her. She was OHJA Schooling Jumper champion in 1997 and reserve in 1999 before our foray into eventing, which she loved (except for the dressage part )

I had to retire her from showing at the age of 16 due to severe hock arthritis, but she still loved going on trail rides and popping over the occasional log or crossrail. She was diagnosed with Cushing's in 2008 and we managed her well on medication for years; we also determined that she had arthritis in her neck and her left knee. Over the past few years she'd lost a few teeth, but maintained her weight pretty well until about a year and a half ago, when it became a real struggle to get enough calories into her.

In the past few weeks her appetite declined drastically, in part due to a dental infection that we were trying to address. Despite our best efforts, she continued to decline, and Saturday morning she began to show outright colic signs. We got her comfortable again with Banamine, but 5 hours later she was down in the field and clearly uncomfortable, so we made the decision to let her go. Although I've seen (and performed) countless euthanasias, I wasn't sure I would be able to hold it together, but she went very peacefully and I am glad I was there for her at the end.

RIP sweet girl. Thank you for all you've given me. Years ago, I trusted you with my life, and yesterday you trusted me with yours. May you run free in green fields.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=5e61af3a47

Godspeed old girl. Hugs to you, MVM. You gave her the last greatest gift of your love.

So sorry for your loss. You can never be ready, but the two of you had a nice long run together. You gave her your best gift of letting her go.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I'm so sorry that she is gone. She will live in your heart forever.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I am sorry for you loss. That last gift we give them is the hardest.
    Sheilah

Hugs to you on the loss of your great friend. Thank you for having the strength to do what was right.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

aw so sorry to hear that. Godspeed beautiful girl. Hugs to you.

P.

So sorry for your loss! Sounds like you had many good years together.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

More hugs and Godspeed your girl to the land of always gree grass!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Hugs. Lovely tribute.

I am so sorry for your loss. You took care of her to the end. She joins a few other very special over the bridge this week where they are all young and pain free again.

I'm so sorry to hear that Nancy! RIP dear Aries, another of Fraju's former colleagues. Did you hear that Monkey/Matisse just died? *hugs* from out west.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Love that name, I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry. It's a dear price we pay to have them in our lives and to love them like we do. Hugs to you, McVillesMom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb