The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Honestly my cat is almost worse than the two dogs. The dogs at least listen when I tell them to go lay down. My cat will sit/lay/roll around in a chair that sits in the corner by the table... and only occupies said chair when we eat dinner at the table. We do have a spray bottle for any attempts at actually getting on the table.. but my cat has serious vengeance issues lol. She doesn't take well to discipline. She isn't very social though so guests won't ever witness this behavior.

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL!! Tux and Edo are very well behaved little guys. Well, Tux is. Edo is a little hoglet of the first order, but he thinks I will kill him if he even looks at my plate. That is fine, he needs to be afeared!

My only issue is Tux with sunflower seeds. I used to be addicted to them, still am I suppose. He got hit by a car years ago and had to be tube fed for a month and ended up being in isolation in my room for two months. He watched me eat sunflower seeds and now is convinced they are the delicacy of the earth. If I leave them out to go do anything he creeps the bag and then when he sees me coming back he shoves his face in and inhales LOL!!

But only seeds. I can leave a ribeye out and nothing.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Doesn't bother me. And we had a little fellow (adopted at age 8 with a heart murmur) who would BEG. As in, brother gets a hamster for Christmas, dog runs over, gets up on his haunches and begs.

My current dog isn't bad with me (at least that I've noticed.) But he doesn't get meat in my house unless it comes in canned dog food. At my parents' house, they eat meat and he does stare.

And the dogs don't jump up and steal food. My sister's cats, on the other hand..
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Back in the day when I had my pack I didn't tolerate it. My standard was the Monks of New Skete -their dogs are in the lunch room when they're eating, and they're all in a long down. Now though it's me and my old man and the interaction is more like;

Him, "Whatcha eatin? Looks good"
    Me, "Cheese. Want some?"
    Him, "Sure, I could eat"
    I give him cheese.

Later on that night.... "Man I should not have given you that damned cheese!"

Of course I have the Macaws.

Bijou, "Yummy? Is it good?"
    Me, "Yes it's good. Want some?"
    Bijou, "Mmm, it's good."

Yeah; I'm the boss in my house.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

My cat is far worse than our two dogs... Little bugger (he's a Maine Coon) stands on his hind feet with front paws on your leg, yowls (more like a barely-audible squeak), and eventually nibbles elbows. He gets swatted off but comes back, and it's not like he's actually GETTING fed, so I have no idea what's reinforcing him. I think he's just genetically programmed to be "all up in your business" no matter what his humans are up to.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I own a plethora of dogs. If they stare at me while I eat, I just tell them to get lost and they do. But if something hits the floor, then all bets are off. It's not like the run in trying to get whatever fell, it's more like the silent stealth approach. If I tell them not to touch what ever fell on the floor then they won't. I personally cannot stand having dogs look at me , stare and drool. Ugh..... They do get to do the prewash for the dishwasher tho.
    My Amazon parrot is the all time worst beggar in the world. God forbid you are eating something and you don't share it with her. She will start by screaming " Hello, Hello, Hello" and if that doesn't work, she will commence to saying "Buckle up" over and over and over again. If all else fails she just starts to scream. Believe me, you will feed her anything just to shut her up.

I haven't read the replies but wanted to say that I have never tolerated begging in any of my dogs, nor have I fed them from the table. Guess what? No begging. Current pooch might do a drive by, but one stern "go lay down" and he's gone until we clear the table.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Since we have larger dogs, I always teach them not to beg. The worst they do is lay down under the table (as long as they're laying down and not bothering anyone, under the table is OK.) They do not get people food, and if relatives insist on feeding them 'treats' then the treat goes in the dog bowl, and does NOT get fed from the table.

Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do about other people's dogs, if the owners allow the begging/staring behavior. Most dogs are pretty interested in any kind of food and it takes a commitment to training to convince them to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    The begging thing, why is it that so many people put up with or seem to encourage it?
    Because we don't care about it, or because it's a part of owning a dog we actually find pleasant? Like a cat kneading your leg is adorable to a cat owner but really irritating to others. I don't get the very human POV that begging is this sad, pathetic behavior. Dogs watch food and people who are eating it. That's their TV, their internet, their books and magazines. If they're obnoxious and pushy, that's bad, but if they're just watching? Big deal.

6 members found this post helpful.

My dog has figured out that small children shed food, so she'll hover as close to my son as possible (usually under the table) while he eats. As long as she sticks to picking things up off the floor, I'm totally happy with this arrangement, since otherwise I'd be the one cleaning all those crumbs up.

And she does beg quietly when DH and I eat, too. She's required to lie quietly on the floor next to us to do it, no whining or touching, but she's allowed to stare. Sure, I could teach her not to, but her behavior doesn't bother me in the least. And ultimately, she's my dog, she lives here, I bought the food, sharing it with her makes me happy, and if guests don't like it they can leave.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

My dogs don't beg. Never had to train them not to beg. The boundaries that I set seem to stop that type of behavior from ever coming to the surface.

The flippin' cat on the other hand begs, steals, and is a general PITA around food. She is a rescue who had a rough start so I really cannot blame her food obsession. Making a loud noise or a water gun just makes her move faster with squinty eyes as she darts to and from the plate. I've learned to laugh about it and we put her away when company comes over.

our dogs automatically go into a down/stay out of the kitchen when we sit at the kitchen table to eat. they are not released until both people stand up.
    took about a week to teach and I have the #1 smartest dog breed (border collie) and 9th dumbest (borzoi)

seriously, dogs enjoy living within boundaries. letting them run amok like heathens is miserable for both the human and the dog.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

No dogs within 10' of me while I'm eating. It's been the rule with every dog I've ever had. The cats are not as easy to put in a down stay , but it only takes a few times to learn that food on the table also means there's a spray bottle on the table.

My Mom lets her dogs beg to the point she'll have a little dog with back paws on the couch and front paws on her arm, one dog between her legs and big dogs with their heads on the table, inches from her plate. Drives me INSANE.

We have 4 dogs with 4 very different teaching/personalities when it comes to begging.
    My Dh's dog is his baby, she can do no wrong. So she is in your face begging. Well actually that is not true she is more like in your lap begging.
    Then there is Ds's dog who will sit and whyne and whimper like he is dieing. He acts as though we have not fed him in forever (though one look at his belly will tell you other wise).
    Then there is my BC.. he will go and curls up, asleep. Except when it come to "pizza bones" then he is right there with the others begging at a respectful distance of course. I have not had the outside edge of pizza in about 20yrs since we made the mistake of giving a dog a "pizza bone" because I was full..
    Then there is a dog that we all own due to his early life he kinda does a mix of all the above depending the on the phase of the moon I think.
    The cat however... he has made it clear that it is his house and he will liberate any food from any plate he feels necessary. So when we have people over he goes one of two places either out or in a room not connected to the kitchen.
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    My dog doesnt beg.....he has never been given people food. But he is different than most dogs, and I can't take credit for any of it. He was born good!

I personally find it very irritating when people give dogs food from the table or a dog that will touch a plate or even the table.
    Yup the key is consistency in training and not giving them something one time and then not the next. My Shepherd when she was alive never ever begged.
    It is all in how you train them. That being said I have a kitty who sits on the table when she hears you rattling pots and pans in the kitchen, the other two never beg, She is my ghetto kitty and she will scarf anything if you turn your back.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

After having one dog as a beggar - I quit feeding dogs while eating. It worked like a charm. My experience was it was a very very hard habit to break. The beggar was a wonderful smart dog, but staring while we ate was something I couldn't break her of. But she did teach me to not feed any subsequent dogs treats from our plates while we ate..

I work at a vet clinic and I'm always shocked at the behavior people put up with from their dogs. Biting them in the face, pulling them all over, growling at them, jumping on them and other people. It's insane. Dogs to me are a working animal. You eat your food in your room and you DO NOT bother me while I'm eating my food. It also really helps if you do not feed them from the table either.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

If a dog is consistently begging from you and you alone, then they are reading something in your manner that tells them there is a good chance you will give them food. In other words they read you as weak. if the home owners were betters pack leaders that probably wouldn't happen. If the dog thinks your weak they will try.

I absolutely hate that behavior.
    When we had our Greyhound, my son could sit on one end of the love seat eating anything; Harpo curled on the other end completely ignoring him.
    He'd behave the same with the rest of us. None of my dogs - or cats - ever begged or even stared. In fact, when food was brought out, they often would get up and leave the room.

IME, People are either too lazy or incompetent to train them manners. These are usually the same dogs that will jump up on you, or stick their snout in your crotch or butt, or hump your leg. Their owners will say: "Oh, he's just being a dog, hee-hee!" And if you get offended, they'll then say: "Well, HE lives here, you don't!"
    I say to myself: I'm fine with that thinking. But don't get all hurt and bent out of shape when I decline your dinner invites.

2 members found this post helpful.

cAN'T stand the begging thing I guess because my parents had a rule which I think was good and have followed as well -our dogs were never ever fed from the table or allowed to beg for food.

They also learned "Go lie down" which addressed many things including begging.

Mine also know- 'Go away.'

So we never had any begging dogs

and no, if you don't give them 'human food' or feed from the table, they don't look for it so there is no soulful starring. At all. period.