The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dog Owners, A Question :)

I love dogs but I don't own one. I have two cats

The begging thing, why is it that so many people put up with or seem to encourage it? I really don't enjoy eating while being started at. The sighs, the staring, the inching slowly closer LOL!! One dog I kept moving my plate as a barrier so he couldn't stare into my eyes, it drove him crazy, starting moving all around freaking out.

But seriously, it drives me nuts. A few friends I just don't ever do dinner at their house because of it. They say "Oh, he's just looking, not doing anything."

So what gives? Is it something you just learn to ignore? Very, very few people I know have dogs who don't beg, either staring or worse. And, what is a good way for your guests to maybe deal with it?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

It's a relatively small thing. Perhaps if it really bothers you, decline the invitation and eat elsewhere.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Most dogs are hard wired to seek food. The only way to stop some of them is to lock them up in a different room. If it really bothers you, ask that they lock the dogs up.

Again, not trying to be snarky.

1 members found this post helpful.

You're not being snarky But seriously, you have to lock them up? Aren't there ways of training for it?

And, jr, I must say I have really been enjoying reading your posts this OT!
    The Knotted Pony

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

My dog doesnt beg.....he has never been given people food. But he is different than most dogs, and I can't take credit for any of it. He was born good!

I personally find it very irritating when people give dogs food from the table or a dog that will touch a plate or even the table.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

5 members found this post helpful.

I have dogs and have had dogs for nearly my entire life.

None of them have EVER been allowed to beg--especially not like you describe. That would drive me batty.

Find friends with better behaved dogs! And have your begging dog friends over to your place for dinner

2 members found this post helpful.

Hhm. So how do you discourage then from the staring? Or can I?

I usually just don't eat at the homes of the beggars!
    The Knotted Pony

I think it's a combination of reasons. In some dogs it's hard to break them of the habit, easy to cave in to (but he's SO cute!), and unless the dog is stealing food usually fairly harmless/easy to ignore. Our old Bichon was annoying about it, and I'm ashamed to say for a time our mutt would actually put his face in your lap. We broke him of that though eventually and he'd leave the kitchen if you told him to. I guess we never saw it as annoying, since he'd just sit there. If you feel comfortable with the friends, a good firm NO will often deter low level (no pawing/whining) beggars.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have four dogs in my house. I let the dogs lick my dishes (don't tell me how gross it is, I get it. No one eats here. It's fine.) and my roommate doesn't. My beagle/JRT begs no matter who is eating where. And if you lock him up, he cries. My roommates aussie begs politely (sits, watches but doesn't inch closer) and loses interest if something more exciting happens (outside, ball etc). My roommates husky gets interested in her food more than mine, but sometimes not at all, and sometimes very. My spaniel cross sits with the other dogs while they watch you eat but has no interest in begging or the food, she just wants to be with the rest of the pack. So, begging and dogs vary.

But yes, you just get used to it. And if it makes you crazy and it's your dog, you train them not to do it (go lay down) or not allow them in the kitchen... whatever.

If it's just me, I tell him to go lie down. He doesn't get a choice. There will be no begging. I think it's annoying. If I have company, he just doesn't seem to be able to help himself, so I give him a choice: go lie down or go outside. He generally "chooses" to go outside.

Since they're not your dogs, there is likely nothing you can do.

The owners can choose to train their dogs not to beg.

It is possible to train them. My ex had a dog who, while naturally well-behaved had been taught "no begging." She was so good about it that all it took from him 90% of the time was mere eye contact to get her to look away immediately.

I have 3 dogs. They surround my husband every time he eats. They don't come near me, stare at me, or have even a remote thought in their brain that they will ever get food from my plate. Care to guess who taught them to hover & beg?
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I consider my dog a really, really good dog. She will still always try to beg. She knows that "go on" or "go lie down" means to go to her spot. She will grudgingly go away, then she stares. At that point she gets a "knock it off" and will literally squeeze her eyes shut at that. One eye sneaks open quickly though. She's too smart for me.

If I had a guest, she wouldn't be allowed to beg and if it got bad she would go to another room.

She does have a silent bark she employs occasionally that is too cute to ignore properly. All the motions of a couple barks while she's circling her spot, no noise at all. It's pretty funny.

My dogs lie quietly underneath the table, hoping we will spill or drop something. They don't stare and whine and beg, they aren't allowed to (and they are not fed from the table!).

My cat, on the other hand...well, I'll be eating and a kitty paw will suddenly be snaking around the edge of the table, from underneath, and into my food. He's not fed from the table either, but he's less easily trained than the dogs . He doesn't stare or beg either and lying there passively hoping for a spill is beneath him, he takes the stealthy thief approach.

We don't have issue with guests, as our dogs aren't big beggars, but I just ignore dogs at friends' houses who beg...they might look all pitiful and starving, but they are not!

I wouldn't mind the eye squeeze
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    My cat, on the other hand...well, I'll be eating and a kitty paw will suddenly be snaking around the edge of the table, from underneath, and into my food. He's not fed from the table either, but he's less easily trained than the dogs . He doesn't stare or beg either and lying there passively hoping for a spill is beneath him, he takes the stealthy thief approach.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

3 members found this post helpful.

I have always had dogs and not one of them begged. I do not like it, and when I puppy sit for a friend who's dog's begs they are put away or put in a sit stay if they know it.

Dogs need to learn manners just like children learn manners. Its up to the owners/parents to instill those manners, should they choose to.

We have 3 big dogs in our very tiny house, they DO NOT BEG! None of my dogs ever have because I don't tolerate it.

The rule in our house has always been no dogs in the kitchen while we are eating. They have to stay behind the line where it changes from carpet to tile. It takes a few days of consistent work to teach a new dog (especially when we babysit a friend's dog that is allowed to beg!) But they all figure it out, and pretty much don't even bat an eye, they just dismiss themselves until we get up from the table.

I actually teach them that they may not even look at my food because sometimes I like to eat in the living room on the coffee table, and that food isn't for them either. Sometimes I even like to leave my plate on the coffee table while I go to the bathroom or whatever. Off limits means off limits!

Food that hits the ground is fair game unless I tell them to leave it, which obviously requires other training. PEople who eat at our house are always shocked by how inconspicuous they are at mealtime...

If we have something particularly good that we want to share (scraps from Thankgiving dinner) we either take it into the living room by hand and have them do something for it or put it into their bowls and call them in. They are NEVER fed from the table or from a plate! Those things are for humans, not for them.

Unfortunately when you go to someone else's house that allows that sort of behavior, there's not much you can do. Ignore the dog, or tell it no and see if there's any impact. No eye contact is definitely a good first step so he can't use those big brown eyes to get you!
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

6 members found this post helpful.

Meh... I don't like up close intent staring...if it's across the room from afar looking I can block it out. Our usually don't actively beg and if we notice them doing it we just tell them to get out and out they go.

You can teach most not to beg in terms of not drooling on your feet, breathing on your plate, etc. what is hard to stop are the soulful looks, even from across the room. If the looks bother you, locking them up is a good option.