The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Short-term FT jobs

I finished pre-reqs for nursing school 2 weeks ago, and at best, won't start nursing school until May. Could be June, or even August, depending on where I end up.

In the meantime, I need to get myself a full-time job. Like pronto. Any suggestions on short-term employment? I wouldn't be comfortable accepting a job somewhere, and then just a few months in, quitting - I'd have to be up front about the length of time.

I was fluent in Spanish at one point, but am rather out of practice, but have considered looking into translating, possibly medical translating? I have BS in Communication and a good resume - I did Peace Corps, and from what I gather, that stands out quite a bit when someone is flipping through a stack of resumes.

I don't really know what direction I want to go in, but I know that I'm looking for a full-time job, and am not interested in working a part-time job full-time, if that makes sense.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Talk to a temp agency near you. Let them know what you're looking for and they may be able to find you a contract position for a few months.

I second the temp agency.

Why not a part time job and an internship?

I dont think she's likely to find a nursing internship while not in nursing school--those are usually done through the school.

As a current (graduate in May) nursing student I would highly recommend ANY job in the hospital. Go be a tech on the floor, even working in the pharmacy. Or go through some extra training and work as an EMT. Any medical related job will give you a leg up when you get in school and you'll have a connection to a hospital when you start looking for a job after graduation. Many of my classmates were techs or emts during school and benefitted.

Seasonal work. Can be a dude ranch, resort, national park, organic farm, yoga retreat, etc., etc., etc. LOTSA FUN!!! I've done a BUNCH. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!