The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd never expect a 600D to last with playful turnout buddies. I just bought a 600D for my friends horse who is living with me this winter, but only because he just goes out with my pony who doesn't play bite blankets. I really wouldn't waste my money on anything less than 1200D for horses out with playful buddies.

My horse has a 1680D Ballistic Nylon turnout that still looks new after 2 winters.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl View Post
    I am a devoted Dover customer partly due to their awesome return policy, easy access to the Chantilly, VA store with great, helpful staff, and good product selection. I have bought mucho amount of horse stuff there!

No chance on the OTTB owner helping with cost. She is BO daughter and no spare money. I also realize its just part of horse keeping as well. I bought the 600 before these 2 horses were put together and didn't know the TB was a biter. Honestly happy my boy has his blanket to protect him some. In warmer weather he has lots of bites.....I wish he could be in other field..... We shall have to see. My boy did plant his dinner-plate size hoof in TB's chest the other day. I think he got tired of the bites. Maybe he will back down some.
    Thanks for the input....apologies for grammar/typing on my phone!
    I'd chat with Dover then & see what they offer

I'd discuss change in T/O - your horse is too polite to have to live with the biter - it's different when both are giving as good as they get, but it sounds like your guy would probably appreciate some alternate T/O buddies.
    If BO daughter is not willing to use a muzzle on her horse (honestly I'd be very hesitant to do this) or help with blanket repair/purchase, I'd insist on fnding another T/O situation.

While this is part of horsekeeping, if I owned the biter, I'd share in the consequences of his behavior - at another barn, he'd probably be doomed to solo or limited T/O or matched up with another biter ...

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I have never tried one of these, but the idea seems like a good one if you have to pasture with a biter....
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...5-650b71dcaa0e
    I second this idea! If you can get one of those sheets (or any other stiff fly sheet), it will help save the wear and tear on the 600D blankets.

My horse goes out with two other blanket biters and it can get rough. I got a Stateline fly sheet (like the Kensington), in the Dover Bargin Basement. That sheet is doing an excellent job protecting my Classic Cover Up sheets and blankets. You can see on the fly sheet where the teeth have 'bitten'. There's no hole, but the teeth were rough enough to rub the colour off!

My horse has some "friends" who like to try to undress him. Knowing this, I NEVER buy him anything new. Hit up the 4H tack sales and such, get some used blankets and repair and waterproof them yourself.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

I had a few Schneiders turnouts that held up to pasturemates well. 1200D stormshield fitted t/o. My guy was out with 20+ horses and was constantly fighting. I don't think I had one rip due to pasturemates. My guy did however constantly rip his shoulder gussets though because the t/o was restricting his shoulders and he hated it.

FWIW, he is now at home with 3 other horses and wears an Amigo 1200D. The surcingle front is great for him and the cut of the blanket doesn't restrict him at all. His amigo is almost 2 yrs old and looks good (knock on wood).

Like several others who have commented... I have 2 Rambos still going strong that are over 10 years old, and several that are 5+ years old and in perfect shape. They cost a decent amount... but when they last that long and fit so well, most definitely worth it in my book.

I have a triple crown blanket that is over 20 years old and has been used on various horses over the years and is in good shape and is still moderately water proof. The other blankets I have are all 1200 denier and several are about 5 years old and in decent shape. Current blankets for my mare are about 2 years old.

Mine has two Rambos that are on year 4. That's not much, but the last ones she had were shredded by the end of winter. It was getting expensive replacing those blankets every year so I broke down and bought two Wugs - a no fill and a med fill.
    You are what you dare.

I used a fabric no chew spray on my Harry's blanket...he's a chewer. We know it's him because he's the only one who still has a tail flap on his blanket. ;-)

I had to keep his things sprayed for about 2 seasons, as well as the back ends of the other two's blankets. Finally broke his fascination with chewing...worked like a charm. I don't spray anything any more.

I knew I was in trouble when I reported to his first mom, shortly after I got him, that I put a sheet on him. There was a long pause, all the way from North Carolina, and finally she said: "Not your good one, I hope". Uh-Oh!

My heavy winter blankets are either 600 or 1200D. The one weatherbeeta is probably 10+ years old and the others (a Riders 600D and a Smartpak 1200D) are about 3 years old. The three year old blankets still look brand new and the weatherbeeta, while patched in places, is still in good shape.

My gelding is on private turnout, but likes to chew on his blankets. What saves the turnouts (both from rips and tears and from excessive dirt) are the turnout sheets I put on top. I have two 1200D turnouts that I alternate between and take the brunt of his teeth or other things that might rip or tear his blankets. I clean and patch them as necessary throughout the season.

Almost all of the horses at my barn have turnout sheets as their top layer. It has really saved on damages to the heavy blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    For a 600D blanket being worn in a a field with a known biter, I think lasting several weeks last winter and a month this winter is exceptional! Dover's Northwind turnouts have a guarantee (1260D I believe) but the plain Riders do not. I would definitely suggest a Northwind, a Rambo, or another blanket with a warranty against rips and tears. I wouldn't be comfortable returning a blanket I knew would be ripped by another horse.
    Ditto on the not returning the blanket. This wasn't a problem with the product. This was a product subjected to abuse. I favor Saratoga Horseworks myself. Pricey, but sturdy. I have stuff from 2000 still in use. Good thing new horse can wear her predecessor's clothing. She loves the windproof and waterproof sheet I bought for her since I didn't have one of those.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mares turnout blanket is at least 7 years old and my sister just retired a 8 year old sheet (600 denier) in perfect condition because she upgraded.

Even a low denier blanket should last a few years IF the pasture doesn't have any trees, there are no blanket biters, and the horse never rolls on rocks. So for the average turnout situation I would expect a 600 denier to last under a year. If you have a diva horse that avoids everything, you might get lucky like my sister and have a blanket you retire before it gets destroyed.

I have Smartpak rugs (not the new ones with the 10 year guarantee) that are well into their 3rd season, I think. I can see them lasting for ages longer, barring some big issue. They survived a few weeks last winter with a very big, very playful companion. If they can survive that, it will probably take a nuclear war to destroy them!

I have had ANCIENT Rambos still kicking. I do actually have a set of Rambos that are probably 12 years old, if not older. I haven't used them as heavily the last few years, but only because they are too small for my horse. I would pull them out and use them without batting an eye now, if needed.

I can't imagine spending the money on 600 denier. Even on quiet, non-playful horses.

I love the Riders' TO sheets, but assume that with the rough-playing ones that I'll be replacing them every couple of years. Not the fault of the sheets - they're good for what they are - I just have youngsters who are really rough on their clothes.

For warmer TO blankets, I like the Shires for heavyweight which have lasted quite long and seem to bundle them up a bit better than the Rambos; the SmartPak "indestructible" ones are only mediums and not warm enough for my body clipped horses. I do have a couple of Rambos that have compressed down from heavys to mediums - they've had the average number of clips repaired/replaced but they are pretty durable. Do spend the money on anti-chew spray - it cut down a decent amount of the blanket biting, though it doesn't seem to dissuade the ones who are really dedicated to face-and-ear-tag.

Spend the $ for a Rambo. At least a 1200 denier. I've got one heavyweight original Rambo that I bought in Dec. '99 for a new horse. The old horse, his buddy, was a T-Rex as far as going after and grabbing the blanket. Other than being a bit faded, the '99 Rambo is as good as new.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have a couple of Rambos that are in their 10+ year... But then I just got a rhino from smartpak, 1000D, that didn't last a month before it started to shred. This with the same horse as the old rambos. Not. Happy. I am having conversations with smartpak to see if they will replace it...
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
    I have a couple of Rambos that are in their 10+ year... But then I just got a rhino from smartpak, 1000D, that didn't last a month before it started to shred. This with the same horse as the old rambos. Not. Happy. I am having conversations with smartpak to see if they will replace it...
    IMHO, thr problem is with the Rhinos. I have some of the new Rambos, and they have been fine. Good luck in your negotiations.

My horse has been in with blanket-biters in his life but never anything too bad until last year. His new pasture mate shredded his brand new fly sheet but so far his winter turnouts are holding up.

That being said, I never buy anything under 1000D. My horse is no longer the alpha horse so his blankets are covered with bite marks. We're halfway through the second winter of a new rambo blanket. His other winter turnouts are in their 8th and 12th year. Both have been repaired numerous times but still fully functional.

Hmmmm. Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like most folks expect their well made, 1200 denier blankets to last at least a few years with some specific caveats for blanket biting buttheads. So, considering the fact that my gelding is likely stuck with his current roommate for the time being, I will look into an upgrade for him. I may get his current T/O cleaned up and repaired for a back up. The 600 blanket was pretty much about all that was left in the store in his size when I bought him last February. It has small pink pinstripes and some of the folks at my barn swear that the blanket has been embarrassing him anyway. (Sigh)

So, considering the fact that my gelding is likely stuck with his current roommate for the time being
    Just make sure that he's enjoying all the attention he gets from his pasture mate, some horses become quite stressed even when the "aggressor" is doing it all in play.

Is there a possibility to add another horse to the group? or maybe rotate days so your guy is not always stuck with Mr Teeth ... also keep in mind, that at this time it's blanket damage, how will you feel if it's injury to your horse (obviously there will be no assistance with vet bills either).