The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hoof bruising? Or is it something more?

Hello - I am new here.

I recently purchased my very first horse and it's not turning out to be the best experience for either of us.

I have a 5 yr old Reg TW Ovaro b/w paint. His previous owners never shod him (he resided in somewhat sandy soil). They told me we was trail trained in the Blue Ridge Mountains. 2 days after I got him, I took him on a 3 day trail ride. The trails were very very rocky. He ended up lame after the first day. Farrier checked him for bruising (didn't see any) and shod him - which was the ONLY reason why I even took him out the next day was b/c I was told he wasn't bruised - just sore. Made it thru the second day of riding, only to end up lame again the next day.

Fast forward a week and a half now. He's been on stall rest, soaking his left hoof in epsom salts and wrapping. Took the shoe off b/c we thought he might have had a hot nail - not the case. There is bruising on the bulb of his left hoof as well as on the sole. He is starting to put weight on it again and walking pretty normal - though I can still see that he's sore. Vet took a quick peak at him while Farrier was treating him (b/c at the time he thought it was a hot nail - bruising didn't show right away) and said it was pretty bruised up. Vet is coming out either Friday or next Tue to shoot Xrays and look at him thoroughly. I AM SCARED TO DEATH b/c I was told he could have fractured something inside or there is a possibility that he's floundering. I have MAJOR guilt for even taking him on that trail ride. He's been thru a lot of crap since I got him and I just want it to end.

So I ask ... have any of you had this experience? If so, how did it end up turning out???? All I can think about is the worse case scenario, but I'm PRAYING that it's just a really bad bruise and b/c he came from a soft soil location - it's going to take a little time to adjust.

And please, if you do, pray for him ... I just want him to heal and feel better :/

~Sabrina

There is no harm in shooting an x-ray to confirm. However, bruising is painful and can take a long time to resolve. 6 weeks isn't uncommon.

Talk to your vet, but I wouldn't be soaking a bruise past the first few days. You want the foot to harden up so it doesn't bruise as easily- not get softer.

I would also stop soaking. X-rays are the best thing for peace of mind. I had a similar problem with my guy (also barefoot) and the x-rays just showed thin soles, so he just needed shoes. It was a big relief. It is likely that your guy is just sore and needs time. Best of luck--keep us posted.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

X-rays are the best idea to diagnose- but bruising can take up to 6+ weeks to heal---- Some take 1-2 weeks to show up on the hoof as the "impact" may have been much further into the foot/heel...
    hope it is a good result!

Buying a new horse is often stressful for the new owner and horse. You may have to have hoof boots or shoes with pads if you are riding on rocky trails. Sometimes there is a lot of trial and error involved in the first year of ownership. If your prepurchase vet exam was normal, this is probably nothing other than some bruising that takes a little time to clear up. See if your vet thinks that special shoeing would help your horse be rideable sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    There is no harm in shooting an x-ray to confirm. However, bruising is painful and can take a long time to resolve. 6 weeks isn't uncommon.

Talk to your vet, but I wouldn't be soaking a bruise past the first few days. You want the foot to harden up so it doesn't bruise as easily- not get softer.
    Yep, I've been thinking the SAME THING. I'm very new to all of this (I am 42 and finally (trying) to live my dream). I was noticing that his hoof was soft when the farrier was soaking and wrapping (he was trying to draw out an abscess that I don't think is ever going to show) and I asked about that but I don't remember what he said.

I'm learning to go with my gut instinct with a lot of things lately - that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tchuki513 View Post
    X-rays are the best idea to diagnose- but bruising can take up to 6+ weeks to heal---- Some take 1-2 weeks to show up on the hoof as the "impact" may have been much further into the foot/heel...
    hope it is a good result!
    Thank you. I've been reading (I've been doing that a lot lately) that it can take several weeks to heal. I wrapped him yesterday with a gel pad (literally) to help give him some cushion when he walks around in his stall b/c I know he's still sore on the sole.

And as I said earlier ... I'm learning to go with my gut instinct. When in doubt - call the vet. Not everyone knows exactly what they think they know.

And someone else mentioned a pre-purchase check - I knew about it, but did not have it done . My trainer went with me to get him (6 hr round trip) sadly, I couldn't afford to have him come all that way on top of paying to have him picked up and brought back plus buying him. I believe that the woman that I got him from was very forthcoming and honest about him and he really was fine til that ride. I rode him before all this happened. He was great.

I just feel awful b/c he hasn't had the chance to settle in and relax and get to know his pasture-mates yet. He's got everyone poking and prodding at him all the time and he's starting to get a little nervous when he sees anyone coming towards him going for his hoof ... LOL Poor thing.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Welcome!
    Always trust your gut , but also educate yourself - hit the library or Google or ask horse-wise friends*

*caveat:
    to paraphrase someone's sig line here:
    "The Horse World: 1 question, 3 opinions"

And don't beat yourself up too bad.
    As a longtime horseowner & experienced rider, I took my just-trimmed barefoot TWH on a 3-day camping trip.
    Mostly soft ground, but Day 3 was a 3h ride on some rocky ground and he ended up pretty footsore for about a week after.

Your horse might just need shoes for the kind of trailriding you do, or boots if that isn't your main interest with him.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Soon after I brought my OTTB off the track he bruised his hoof and it took EIGHT weeks to resolve. It was a deep bruise and my farrier and I were elated when it finally emerged and we could see the extent of it. One thing that seemed to help him was packing the foot with magic cushion.

Due to how long it was taking (the symptom was a head bob at the trot in one direction), like you I worried about other possibilities and asked the vet to xray him. The xray was normal which was a relief. I kept his shoes on and once we could see the bruise in the sole it seemed to get better quickly.

Since then I have used keratex twice a week and his thin soles have improved dramatically. Also, once the bruise resolved it was icy outside and my farrier opted to put full front pads on to protect him during the winter. In the spring we switched to front rim pads and those have been great, gives him a bit more clearance to protect his soles, and knock on wood, no further issues.

I think some magic cushion would probably help him feel better.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Magic cushion. It's the best stuff ever. Then Durasole to toughen up his feet. Read the directions, for the fastest results I believe you apply it up to 7 times a day.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My gelding has stone bruised and it took 3 weeks for it to heal had alot of issues with stone bruising. Our trails are very rocky even with my horse shod still have stone bruising issues.

He now has shoes with full pads on the fronts and shoes on the hind. If your horse is stone bruise it will just take time to heal. Doing Xrays will tell if its other issues. Best of luck hope your boy feels better soon.

I took his wrap off today (to redo it) and his bulbs are really pink and purple, I can see some mild bruising on the sole still and today I can see a pink ring almost near the top of his hoof (where it meets his leg). Thank God this happening on his white leg or I'd never see what was going on! LOL I'm hoping that pink ring isn't anything more than bruising showing on the hoof after almost 2 weeks.

Ive been through something similiar. New farrier did a butcher job on my pony a few years ago. She was bruised all over, especially in her heels.

Let the vet do a work up to find out what is really going on. Blocks, x-rays sound good. You will own the x-rays and can use them for comparsion later on down the road, if needed.

No amount of soaking/packing helped my pony. I put her in wide web shoes with as much heel support as possible and turned her out. Took 6 months for her to be sound again. It sucked but she healed and now we are back to normal!

****UPDATE****

Had X-rays done last night and thankfully, nothing broken, fractured or otherwise - THANK GOD.

I was a nervous wreck. Had tears steaming down my face and all. I was so scared that I had ruined him from that ride.

He's just got severe bruising and the vet thinks in another 3-4 days he'll be good. I think otherwise and don't plan to turn him loose for at least another week. He still has a very tender spot on his sole. I'm extremely hesitant to have the shoe put back on in 3 or 4 days. If I had the X-ray to show you I could explain better what he told and showed me, but there is separation between the wall and white line (hopefully I got that right). An abscess was in fact in there but apparently never came out thru the hole that the farrier dug in his hoof. It has done it's thing and my horse - now newly named Apollo - isn't in that sort of pain now - he's got tender issues now. No touching the sore spot - as he let the vet know last night.

Like I said before, I'm going with my gut and NOT having the shoe put back on in 3-4 days nor am I turning him out yet. I was going to wash him on Friday and he must have hit the little berm thing just right in the wash stall b/c he fumbled when he walked in ... we walked back out and back to his stall. LOL

So thank you everyone for your input/insight and well wishes. I truly appreciate it.

I would ask your vet for a new farrier recommendation as well. Your gut seems to be pretty dead-on for a new horse owner. When you do decide to turn him out, ask your vet about sedation----you're going to want him to be a little sedate the first couple of times, so he doesn't run amok and rebruise it, or bruise it more.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    Buying a new horse is often stressful for the new owner and horse. You may have to have hoof boots or shoes with pads if you are riding on rocky trails. Sometimes there is a lot of trial and error involved in the first year of ownership. If your prepurchase vet exam was normal, this is probably nothing other than some bruising that takes a little time to clear up. See if your vet thinks that special shoeing would help your horse be rideable sooner.
    I love this sage advice. The first year of horse ownership really can be full of trial and error. Hang in there... I am going through the same thing

It might be a good idea to seek some nutritional advice as well.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    Hello - I am new here.

I recently purchased my very first horse and it's not turning out to be the best experience for either of us.

I have a 5 yr old Reg TW Ovaro b/w paint. His previous owners never shod him (he resided in somewhat sandy soil). They told me we was trail trained in the Blue Ridge Mountains. 2 days after I got him, I took him on a 3 day trail ride. The trails were very very rocky. He ended up lame after the first day. Farrier checked him for bruising (didn't see any) and shod him - which was the ONLY reason why I even took him out the next day was b/c I was told he wasn't bruised - just sore. Made it thru the second day of riding, only to end up lame again the next day.

(...)

So I ask ... have any of you had this experience? If so, how did it end up turning out???? All I can think about is the worse case scenario, but I'm PRAYING that it's just a really bad bruise and b/c he came from a soft soil location - it's going to take a little time to adjust.

And please, if you do, pray for him ... I just want him to heal and feel better :/

~Sabrina
    Boy! DO I FEEL FOR YOU!

My experience is very similar to yours and I posted my story in this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ase-comfort-me!

Holly isn't my first horse, but the first in 30 years.. I finally got the nerve up the other day to contact the seller and ask what happened, and she just said it must have happened later. I can't believe that, because Holly picks that foot up with a feather touch, and not so much the others!

My first vet did x-rays and a sonogram and he found the chip. I'm glad he did that, because his first thought on just physical exam was not what it turned out to be. You have to get the pictures!

Around here, (Phoenix, AZ) if you go out on trail, the horse should be shod. I had her shod the second day I had her, but it turned out that the shoer wasn't up on Saddlebreds (who knew? their hooves are different!) and she had to be redone by someone recommended by the vet. You might ask your vet if walkers hooves are different somehow. You might also ask if there is any indication that your guy may have been in the TW show ring at any time. In that case, there may have been one of those "Big Lick" tricks done to him that may have caused damage.

I'm just a newbie here, so your mileage may vary. But since I got Holly, it's been a real education! That's for sure...

P.S. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before I type. I posted what you have already done. Glad it seems to be working out.
    Last edited by Hetep; Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM.