The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Calling all Hermits - COME JOIN THE COTH CHAT ROOM!! (link in sig)

***The Link to the Chatroom is in my Sig line.

I plan on going into FULL Hermit Mode, myself. Me, Coffee, my kids, a fire in the Fire Pit, with Hot Dogs and S'Mores.

Tomorrow will be the first New Year's Even without my Hubby, as well as our daughter's 2nd Birthday. We had her a little cake today, but will be having a real party, a 1/2 party, this summer

So, who else will be wearing jammies and comfy socks tomorrow night?

(and, I'm actually, looking forward to my evening with my kids. )
    Last edited by Freebird!; Dec. 31, 2012 at 07:09 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds lovely, but I'll be at work. I'll be doing the lazy thing on the 1st.

I wish the nat'l championship game was still on the 1st. Wow. I just told everyone how old I am. LOL!

I have a small errand to run in the morning then I will become a hermit when I return home.

Oh, yes! Fridge is stocked with champagne and cheese. Looking forward to walking my dog and playing the iPad all day.

Thumbs up I second that!

We probably won't even make it to midnight. DH and I are both larks. I have no problem arriving on time for my Sunday 8 am riding lesson, but staying up til midnight? Nope.

Last year we decided we would celebrate at midnight east coast time, so we opened champagne at 9 pm our time, had one glass, and went to bed.

Sometimes we go out for a late dinner, but I just don't like being out on that night--the later you're out, the more drunks are out, too.
    ===============
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

I've been in hermit mode for two weeks. It's COLD (for here--50 degrees during the say, whine, whine) it finally just stopped raining, I had a root canal and a bad reaction to antibiotics, and . . . I want to. I've been dosing myself with coffee, the yummy nan bread or the yummy take apart bread I get from Trader Joe's, and ice cream.

I had to put on the feather slippers on top of my socks yesterday it was so cold! Sit in my chair, blankets on, heating pad, and OD on OT day.

The first birthday Christmas etc after a loss is always tough. My dad died Dec 30/31 a number of years ago. I really don't remember which, it was a blur. You get through the first year and start to make new traditions. It does get better.

My dad LOVED M*A*S*H. The last episode ran about a month after he died. I watched it and sobbed. I still can't watch it without crying
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We've spent New Year's Eve in "hermit mode" since we moved from NY to VA 15 years ago.

I set up a terrific "grazing menu" every New Year's Eve - this year it'll be American Hackleback, Alaskan Salmon, & French Trout roe/caviar, whipped cream cheese, crackers, a cheeseboard, lobster rangoons, spanokopita, lentil soup, smoked salmon, baked clams, turkey "pigs in a blanket", & a few other niceties I'll pick up tomorrow. Lots of good Prosecco & Cava on ice as well.

And New Year's Day we enjoy any grazing bits from the night before, & finish with my traditional all-poultry "French Cassoulet".

We love it. No dressing up. No frou-frou. Just jeans/sweats/t-shirts, just the 2 of us & the furred/feathered/hooved gang. Nothing else needed to bring in the new year for us.

I'm always a hermit on NYE. I've no desire to go anywhere, except to PetSmart for cat food.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I've pretty much been in hermit mode for the past week and its been wonderful!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Well, it is supposed to start snowing in the morning, but if not, someone is coming to do some dirt work with a grader and if he does, he probably won't be leaving until it snows or gets about dark.
    Since I run the tractor with the rock bucket, there I will be also.

By evening and thru New Year, I too will close and lock the gate, screen calls and hide for the duration.

Dangerous to leave the gate open thru holidays.
    Once found someone still drunk the next morning, his car stalled, right on the edge of a deep canyon.
    A few more feet and he would have been dead on the bottom.

That is when the sheriff told us to close and lock the gate.
    Now we do.

I'm always a hermit on NYE and July 4th because I have to keep an eye on the horses when the neighborhood idiots start up the fireworks. I shut all the doors and windows to the barn, turn up a radio, stuff the horses with hay, and sit in the aisle reading a book.

My middle name is Hermit.

On any given day.

And I love it!

I guess I partied myself out in my earlier years.

And Bacardi, can you send me some of that 'grazing menu'?
    It's right up my alley.
    Last edited by luvmytbs; Dec. 30, 2012 at 09:25 PM.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

Yep, I am a hermit this New Years Eve. I am usually at a horse show when the weather cooperates, but it was snowing the day I was leaving, and sleet and freezing rain is moving in tonight. Glad I'm not driving the trailer back on that! So hermit mode for me tomorrow except for going to feed the ponies with the bad roads.

Bacardi--Can I come be a hermit at YOUR house? It sounds like you have way better food!

Quote Originally Posted by 22Almonds View Post
    Last year we decided we would celebrate at midnight east coast time, so we opened champagne at 9 pm our time, had one glass, and went to bed.

Sometimes we go out for a late dinner, but I just don't like being out on that night--the later you're out, the more drunks are out, too.
    I miss being on central time. I could just barely make it until 11pm and, if I chose to go out, the roads were never emptier than at 11:30 PM on New Year's Eve - everyone was already/still at their parties.

This year, I will be staying at home and watching CNN's coverage until I fall asleep, which may be well before midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    We've spent New Year's Eve in "hermit mode" since we moved from NY to VA 15 years ago.

I set up a terrific "grazing menu" every New Year's Eve - this year it'll be American Hackleback, Alaskan Salmon, & French Trout roe/caviar, whipped cream cheese, crackers, a cheeseboard, lobster rangoons, spanokopita, lentil soup, smoked salmon, baked clams, turkey "pigs in a blanket", & a few other niceties I'll pick up tomorrow. Lots of good Prosecco & Cava on ice as well.

And New Year's Day we enjoy any grazing bits from the night before, & finish with my traditional all-poultry "French Cassoulet".

We love it. No dressing up. No frou-frou. Just jeans/sweats/t-shirts, just the 2 of us & the furred/feathered/hooved gang. Nothing else needed to bring in the new year for us.

Ok, if you lived in Georgia, I would totally unhermit myself for that!!

Us, definitely. I don't recall the last time we went out. I vote for jeans/sweats/socks as formal dress. Just us, Netflix, and the dogs, but who knows how many will ring the New Year in. I might be having my last Diet Coke as to cut wwaaayyyy down on them is one of my resolutions.

Yeah, Bacardi1--you may just have a lot of new friends with a menu like that!

NYE has traditionally been my spring-cleaning night. Used to go through closets, boxes, books, drawers, and throw out everything I didn't want to keep.

Since I've just moved, I'll either go through the family photos I want to send my cousin, or just watch TV with the kittehs.

May send out for pizza if anyone's delivering.

Last great NYD I enjoyed was 7 years ago, a wonderful trail ride with friends.

This NYD I'll probably sleep in and watch some TV marathon. 7th Heaven is having one so maybe they'll show the episode where Ruthie rides ClipClop the pony.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique