The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cat not doing so great after surgery

So, my little rescue cat had a tooth infection and the vet deemed they should all come out. She got a 2 week antibiotic shot two weeks ago on Friday and had her teeth out the following weds, so 1.5 weeks ago. When she came home she was chipper, bright and active. She continued to be good until 2 days ago, I noticed her struggling to stand up, but by the time I got to her she was fine. She was on the heating grate so I figured she just got a claw stuck in it.

Since then there have been a few isolated incidents of loss of motor control. She fell off the end table yesterday which terrified me and I'm sure her as well. She has lost interest in food but if I mush some of it in her mouth she remembers that food is good and eats some. She is drinking well.

I plan on being at the vet when they open tomorrow (I hope they are open) but in the meantime, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Manahmanah View Post
    So, my little rescue cat had a tooth infection and the vet deemed they should all come out. She got a 2 week antibiotic shot two weeks ago on Friday and had her teeth out the following weds, so 1.5 weeks ago. When she came home she was chipper, bright and active. She continued to be good until 2 days ago, I noticed her struggling to stand up, but by the time I got to her she was fine. She was on the heating grate so I figured she just got a claw stuck in it.

Since then there have been a few isolated incidents of loss of motor control. She fell off the end table yesterday which terrified me and I'm sure her as well. She has lost interest in food but if I mush some of it in her mouth she remembers that food is good and eats some. She is drinking well.

I plan on being at the vet when they open tomorrow (I hope they are open) but in the meantime, thoughts?
    Jingles for your kitty!!

How old is she?

if all else fails, emergency clinics should be open. This is a time I'd pay the extra if you can't get into the regular clinic.

Sending loads of jingles to her!!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

JINGLES!! And please keep us updated.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Personally I would not wait and would find an ER vet tonight. The loss of motor control is worrying to me

Any update?

Lots of jingles for your kitty!!!!!

More jingles and second an ER vet asap!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Thanks for the well wishes guys. The reason I didn't want to go to the er vet was because she had just had surgery with this vet and they have bloodwork recent as of last week. If it was an out of the blue thing i would have went for sure.

we went back to the vet Monday am. He thinks her throat is hurting and she has some remaining/secondary infection. he is still severely ataxic even more so today. Now instead of being ok 95% of the time she is wobbly 95% of the time. It might actually be better this way since now she is being super cautious. Her balance seems to be worse when she lowers her head which I think is contributing to the eating problem. I got her to eat a little one her own earlier today on a raised platform which was great because force feeding her is getting old for both of us.

I have been reading more on this long acting antibiotic and I swear that's what is causing the ataxia. Product literature has it listed first on aide effects. Vet is in denial / disagrees because onset wasn't until 1.5wk after initial injection and gave her a second shot monday. She's a lot worse with the balance since then but seems more chipper in general.

Dh really loves this little kitty. I do too, she really is a delightful animal. I hope she pulls through.

Reading that it sounds horrible, I just wanted to add that I am not letting / making her suffer. She is in really good spirits besides the whole walking like a drunken sailor thing. She does meet me in the kitchen asking for food, bright eyed and normal looking... She just sniffs it and walks off. She's always been impossibly picky though so I am sure now that it also hurts a bit to eat that is not helping.

Anyway, thanks again.

The first thing that I think of when you mention the ataxia is that the tooth infection has somehow spread to her inner ear. And I don't think it's the antibiotic causing the problem. I think that the problem is that she hasn't had enough antibiotic to control the infection.

I would be taking her to the emergency vet ASAP if she were mine. The inner ear is extremely close to the brain. (I've seen cats - that weren't mine - die from inner ear infections.)

Jingles to you both!
    Last edited by Kimstar; Jan. 1, 2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: can't type!

3 members found this post helpful.

How long ago did she have the antibiotic? Generally convenia (assuming it was convenia) thereputic properties are gone after 7 days. if Ataxia is a side effect, why on earth would your vet give her another shot of the same antibiotic?

Oral antibiotics are ALWAYS better than convenia, as you can stop them if there are reactions. Once injected, convenia is working for a week, regardless of side effects. Convenia works great for those cats who cant be pilled,or for owners who wont comply.

I would also question your vet about her "thorat" hurting. if its from the intubation, then they really need to be more careful. Sometimes cats are irritated for a few hours to a day...not two weeks. A sore throat TWO weeks after her procedure seems like a very bizarre explanation.

Cats can get ear infections and polyps that upset their balance too, I would make sure that if it doesnt get better soon, that the ears get examined.

1 members found this post helpful.

How's the kitty doing, Manahmanah?

Yes, update? Please?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Poor, poor kitty. That all sounds awful.

Definitely jingling the curb chain for her.

Bella was laid to rest this afternoon.

We tried a few different antibiotics, she would get a little better, and then she wouldn't. When they x=rayed her today they found a tumor in her inner ear that had eroded the bone awaay, and there were going to be no more "good days" for this sweet girl.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Bella was fiercely loved. When we got her 3 years ago from a petfinder "rescue" cat horder... she was supposed to be a companion for my super nasty bad orange cat. She didn't like anyone at first, but she bonded with my husband after a while. Eventually, she would shadow him wherever he went, and at night he would use only the smallest corner of his pillow so she could have nearly the entire thing to sleep next to his head.

Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts and check ins. We appreciate it.

Im so sorry for your loss Sounds like she couldnt have found a better home to live the last few years in.

Manahmanah, I'm so, so sorry. Not want I wanted to hear. I'm so glad she found you, though!

AM so sorry, she sounds like she had a wonderful life with you. Hugs!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I am sorry for your loss