The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Django Unchained

Anybody go see it? Your thoughts??
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Saw it yesterday with husband and friend. I am not a Tarantino fan. I enjoyed "Pulp Fiction", but that is about it.

However..."Django Unchained" was good. There were some historical inaccuracies regarding the firearms, according to my husband, but the movie itself was good. I was engaged throughout the whole thing, and was never aware of how long it was.
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw it and thought it was awesome! I did think it was a tad long, but kept me engaged the whole time. I had to pee, so... lol I finally got up mid-movie. Glad I did, because I thought it was almost done and it was really the middle, no way I would have lasted! LOL

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'll wait for the Blu-Ray.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have never been able to sit through any of Tarantino movies.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

I saw it and liked it. You have to be ready for Tarantino violence. Most of it, especially the shooting scenes, is stylized and didn't get to me but there were a few scenes that churned my stomach - like the dog scene and torture of slaves.

I really like Christoph Waltz and his character.

Jamie Foxx looks like he can really ride. And Christoph Waltz's horse looked spooky but he dealt with it so nonchalantly - I was impressed. Is that too on-topic for off-topic day/week?

I hate Cretin Tarantino's films, so I'll give this one a pass. Most of my friends think I'm missing a few screws because I am the only one who got bored and walked out of Pulp Fiction. (Surprisingly enough, "because it sucks" WILL get your ticket money refunded. Did not expect that).

I just learned that the horse Jamie Foxx rides during the majority of the movie is his own. He asked if he could teach his horse the stunts could he use his own horse and it worked. Very sweet.

1 members found this post helpful.

Couldn't stomach it by the end. Which was too bad, because the story was good, the acting was good, the little bit of Jackson Hole was good. But the over the top violence and gore.... yeah, we don't glorify violence much.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I have been too busy to see it but I LOFF Tarantino!!! Hopefully I will get to go next week. I did go see The Man with the Iron Fists when it came out a bit ago- which was RZA in Tarantino style- it was pretty awesome.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Haven't seen it yet, but can't wait.

For those who don't like violence or being shocked by a movie scene...Tarantino films are definitely not something you will like. That would be like hating romantic comedies and going to see Hugh Grant movies. Or hating bad acting and going to see Steven Segal movies. Or hating creepy little weird dudes and going to see a Tom Cruise movie.

His Kill Bill movies had so much blood shown that many scenes had to be changed to black and white to conform with rating rules on violence.

I don't have issues with the violence in his movies because it's not B-horror movie type violence. His story lines and tons of film history add-ins are pretty cool. However I didn't Pulp Fiction was that great. Nothing compared to Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Inglourious Basterds or Reservoir Dogs.

(or my guilty faves like Grindhouse!)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

Haven't seen it yet but I'm dying to! I actually didn't like Pulp Fiction at all and the Vampire movie with George Clooney was "meh" for me. But I really liked Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown and I love love love Kill Bill 1&2 (two of my all time favorite movies).
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    For those who don't like violence or being shocked by a movie scene...Tarantino films are definitely not something you will like. That would be like hating romantic comedies and going to see Hugh Grant movies. Or hating bad acting and going to see Steven Segal movies. Or hating creepy little weird dudes and going to see a Tom Cruise movie.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

I'll probably wait for it to be on cable tv, though I am looking forward to watching it.I loved Inglorious Basterds and both Kill Bill movies, much to my surprise. Oh, did he direct Desperado also? I remember him having a part in the movie, but can't remember if he directed it.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    (or my guilty faves like Grindhouse!)
    My very most fave of all!

I enjoyed Django (saw it opening night), and will have to watch it a few more times before I decide where it ranks among his movies. It felt a little like he was not really treading on any new territory, but I still enjoyed it.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website