The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Don't we all though, find it absolutely shameful that they cannot seem to do the jobs we elected them to do? no matter dem or repub.

obama should step forward and lead and congress should step forward and find common ground

2 members found this post helpful.

So which issues, as a voter, are you willing to bend on?

gray -

I 'm thinking you are talking to me so I'll go

Big stuff?

Ok, how about a flat tax for everyone.

If they are talking about taxing the "rich" let's say anything over $750,000 individually or $1,000,000 jointly - though one person's idea of rich is another person's idea of middle class, but $250 is just low. Ask anyone living in LA, NYC, etc.

CUT SPENDING - start with the actual size of government. Cut the salaries of Congress, and the Senate. Cut the "perks" - treat these positions as private sector for purposes of benefits and perks.

Go through everything - ALL DEPARTMENTS, and cut 10%- start rewarding for merit and productivity, not just to exist.

Cut redundant departments, committes, commissions, etc.

If a Congressperson wants to spend time with ridiculous legislation (see the hat legislation) the SPEND thier own money doing so.

You don't get to trade your investments based on knowledge of legislation - inside information is applicable at the public secotr just as the private.

If you are found guilty of ethics violations, you are fired. That's it.
    I know some of this drifted from the spending, but it is all kind of relative.

The level of permissiveness  contributes to the culture of no accountabilty that drives this behaviour, which contributes to the spending issue.

They don't have to worry if their company is profitable or they will be laid off in a recession.

Make marijuana legal, and tax it like alcohol.

Insititute tort reform (lowering malpractice insurance) which makes it cheaper for someone to see thier doctor, so less the fed has to pay

If you are on welfare, and then you have a baby, no more welfare.

Be able to buy and sell insurance across state lines - amazing how much wasteful spending goes on here - state level, but it did impact Obama care

I don't expect the fed to pay for birth control.

If teachers behave badly or don't perform - fired.

I realize some of these things are state level, but if the states at least made an attempt to get solvency, the fed would not be in a position to have to bail them out.

Stop bailing out the unions - see the gM debalce and the real truth about what that cost us the taxpayer.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    gray -

I 'm thinking you are talking to me so I'll go

Big stuff?

Ok, how about a flat tax for everyone.

If they are talking about taxing the "rich" let's say anything over $750,000 individually or $1,000,000 jointly - though one person's idea of rich is another person's idea of middle class, but $250 is just low. Ask anyone living in LA, NYC, etc.

CUT SPENDING - start with the actual size of government. Cut the salaries of Congress, and the Senate. Cut the "perks" - treat these positions as private sector for purposes of benefits and perks.

Go through everything - ALL DEPARTMENTS, and cut 10%- start rewarding for merit and productivity, not just to exist.

Cut redundant departments, committes, commissions, etc.

If a Congressperson wants to spend time with ridiculous legislation (see the hat legislation) the SPEND thier own money doing so.

You don't get to trade your investments based on knowledge of legislation - inside information is applicable at the public secotr just as the private.

If you are found guilty of ethics violations, you are fired. That's it.
    I know some of this drifted from the spending, but it is all kind of relative.

The level of permissiveness  contributes to the culture of no accountabilty that drives this behaviour, which contributes to the spending issue.

They don't have to worry if their company is profitable or they will be laid off in a recession.

Make marijuana legal, and tax it like alcohol.

Insititute tort reform (lowering malpractice insurance) which makes it cheaper for someone to see thier doctor, so less the fed has to pay

If you are on welfare, and then you have a baby, no more welfare.

Be able to buy and sell insurance across state lines - amazing how much wasteful spending goes on here - state level, but it did impact Obama care

I don't expect the fed to pay for birth control.

If teachers behave badly or don't perform - fired.

I realize some of these things are state level, but if the states at least made an attempt to get solvency, the fed would not be in a position to have to bail them out.

Stop bailing out the unions - see the gM debalce and the real truth about what that cost us the taxpayer.
    Just on the birth control alone...it's much cheaper to pay for birth control than the babies. Let's not mix personal moral beliefs with cost effectiveness.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

We've already gone over the cliff, just haven't hit the ground yet. Over 16 trillion in actual debt and over 48 trillion in unfinded liabilities.

The government is broken. The crap they do accomplish is like trying to put a bandaide on a severed limb instead of the major surgery required.

For all liberals, every day that we have to borrow billions also requires more interest payments payments to be paid, leaving less and less revenue for those social programs you love. Without fiscal responsibility and a strong economy, you can't have a viable social program.

No one in our elected houses has the balls to say no. except some republicans who are subsequently villified.

The pres wants tax hikes and no actual cuts. His idda of cits is a "reduction" in future increases. Not helpful.

5 members found this post helpful.

Or, since the birth control is so cheap, they can pay for it themselves??? You know like their cell phone bill, etc. etc.

Also, it's a sticking point simply because if an organization or private business does not want to do this because it goes against their belief, that is their right to do so.

Should a Muslim restaurant be forced to serve pork jsut because people eat pork?

5 members found this post helpful.

Better yet, just say no.... You say "no", I say "No"....

3 members found this post helpful.

Also wanted to add, my post was about things that I would bend on. I want to emphasize the things we can try to agree on.
    Laura - you see the birth control thing differently than I do, got it.

Again, my post was to highlight things we can agree on. That's all. So why can't we focus on what we agree on?

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Better yet, just say no.... You say "no", I say "No"....
    Say no? But your name is.........???

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    OOPs - you are right. Sorry!

http://www.onenewspage.com/n/Politic...r-Congress.htm

It was a removal of the raise freeze, I think.
    Actually Congress votes on its own pay. I guess the President would have to sign it, but it's not up to him alone.

And Congress is not the federal civillian workforce.

A star in the west....

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Are you joking? Congress has passed several budgets and sent them to the Senate where Senator Reid, the Democratic Senate Majority leader, has refused to allow a vote on them. Congress addressed the issue of the Fiscal Cliff months ago but the Democratic controlled Senate did NOTHING. Obama needs to LEAD and quit campaigning to keep the class war stirred up. If he told his Senate to get on the ball, this would have been settled a long time ago. .........
    Congress = the Senate + the House of Representatives
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post
    Actually Congress votes on its own pay. I guess the President would have to sign it, but it's not up to him alone.

And Congress is not the federal civillian workforce.

Congress is also supposed to determine immigration policy,didn't stop pres from extending amnesty by exec order, which legally he shpuldn't have been allowed to do.

4 members found this post helpful.

Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post

You do realize that this is a very liberal organization, so you can hardly attribute an unbiased slant on its writings. George soros is one of its largest backers to the tune of several million dollars.

Can someone explain exactly WHO we owe this debt TO?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

China owns a lot of it. Many other countries also have purchased our treasuries. American citizens, amd individuals. Basically its the sale of bonds and treasuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    Mostly China but some other country's investors have funded the gov't also.

.47 on every dollar spent right now by the Federal gov't is borrow. Let that one sink in.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    A large portion is held by China.
    Other counrties own chunks of US debt
    Large chuncks are held by investors like US citizens, banks, funds, pensions etc in the form of Treasuries
    And believe it or not, a lot of it is owned, backed by the US Govt itself... voodoo economics .

http://useconomy.about.com/od/moneta...ional-Debt.htm

Until our elected reps come to an agreement, we, the people, should lock Congress in the Capitol, take away all their perks,feed them only tuna fish sandwiches, bathroom breaks must be supervised, and for background music, they can hear the song from Les Mis..
    "Do you hear the people sing
    Singing the song of angry men..."

6 members found this post helpful.