The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lunging cavesson - love it! But a question...

Perfect Pony was kind enough to lend me her lunging cavesson - I finally was able to give it a go today and like it very much! It is much easier to put an end to silliness and nonsense than lunging via the bit, and I found my horse was much softer in it as well. I didn't worry about the bit in his mouth sliding or not giving proper cues, or hurting his mouth if he decided to jump in the air and act silly.

I didn't use it with side reins as I was unsure - if I wanted to use side reins, would I attach them to the side rings of the cavesson, or still attach them to the bit?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

So I totally don't know the answer to the question, but does it fit?!

Did you watch the video? Maybe there are some hints there?

You attach the side reins to the bit, making sure that the bit is free to move without getting caught on the straps of the cavesson. Just be sure that you understand how and when to properly adjust and attach the side reins.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

You attach the reins to the bit.

As for the lunging cavesson, remember to strap it tightly so it can't turn on the horse's face should he/she decide to jump around.

You can use either the bit or the rings. If you use the bit, be very careful the the cavesson noseband is quite high on the nose: one finger or so under the cheek bone. The lips can get pinched/rubbed raw between bit and cavesson if the noseband is too low.

You can use either the bit or the rings. If you use the bit, be very careful the the cavesson noseband is quite high on the nose: one finger or so under the cheek bone. The lips can get pinched/rubbed raw between bit and cavesson if the noseband is too low.

Initially/traditionally you attached the side reins to the caveson for a steady connection (or in some caveson..which have bit hanger straps...you can suspend the bit from the caveson), and a smidge of lateral flexibility. It is a safer way of introduction. Secondly (if you choose) you can attach them to the bit, again for the same reason. (In the very old days (see old Ridinger prints, horses were ridden first in caveson (for connection/lateral flexibility) and then in a bit. Ideally too, most work (with side reins) the horse works mostly in trot, because s.r. do not allow telescoping within the walk/canter gaits.
    I.D.E.A. yoda