The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Went out for a sleigh ride today :)

I took both of my ponies out for a cutter ride today. The weather was beautiful, just below freezing and very little wind. The sun even came out (I haven't seen that in weeks lol!). I took the 10 year old out first, Bentley, and then took out the 16 year old, Doulton, out afterwards. They were feeling great and really motored along!
    The cutter is my mother in laws and I'm just storing it at our farm for safe keeping Though the ponies have been driving for many years, it was both of their first times pulling a cutter. They both jumped a little when the skis hit some dirt patches, but they settled in pretty quickly and off they went! They were both very good boys and had lots of treats afterwards
    The shafts are a little long for them as it was made for a cob, I just had to hook them as far out as I could. It worked, but just!

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...90174737_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...54946292_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...14611315_n.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow! Looks like so much fun, and what a pretty sleigh!

Ohhhh, I want to do that. No luck here though, we never get any snow. Sleigh driving must be awesome. Do you use bells when you are on your own?

I didn't use bells yesterday. I don't tend to use them when I'm on my own. We used to put them on when we hitched to the marathon carriage and went through the subdivision (we don't live near any houses anymore, so we don't really do that anymore).

That looks like so much fun!!

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing those pics!

Your photos make me insanely jealous! That looks like incredible fun. Closest I could come that that around here would be to hitch my ponies to garbage can lids and slid thru the muddy pastures.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks all! It was a lot of fun and I'm just about to go outside and do it again! Even with the cold weather we've been having and the snow, parts of the ground are still not frozen and we were sliding on mud lol!! We have groomed the trail a little more so hopefully its a little more frozen. Its a cold one out there now, about -10C so I will see how long I last for! At least there is no wind and the sun has decided to come back out....

Heck, think of the mud parts as "polishing" the runners, so they slide easier!

We have found wearing ski goggles to help keep your face a bit warmer, plus no ice or snow in your face! Those heat pack in your boots, mittens, are helpful in keeping those parts moving after a cold ride. We also had laprobes (horse coolers work fine) to keep the wind from cutting right thru your snow pants. Anything leather, mittens, chaps, real sheepskin hoods or hats, is great for not letting the wind get thru because sitting will get you cold during the ride. We had warmed up soapstones for the little kids to sit on, when they were very little. Helped a lot on longer rides. Hot soapstones last about an hour outside in the sleigh. We heated them in the oven for a couple hours ahead of time.

Love it goodhors!! Yes, polishing....
    Those are some great suggestions, luckily I didn't get too cold today and the ponies were great, even took my dog along for a bit. I only stayed on the track that my husband made since I didn't want to take any chances with the cutter, since its not mine and I'm trying to be nice to it
    Hopefully it freezes up the other fields so I can go around them as well...
    Its nice to get back out and drive again as its been a few months. I'm sure the ponies didn't mind the break though!
    Here are a couple of other pictures from today and a picture of all of my boys getting their Christmas treats
    http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...78385151_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...47461580_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...69672238_n.jpg

I am so seriously jealous. I have just got home from driving my two ponies - CD in a couple of weeks - and it is hot! Tee shirt and shorts weather. Your photos are such a contrast! At least I am not having to ride and wear boots and breeches!

I only got to ride once in a sleigh a Russian troika which was insanely fun but unbelievably cold!! Not sure if I could do it again as I'm very spoiled with living in the Deep South but it is always beautiful to see.

I am getting my OTSTB back to driving as he really detests riding and it was my hope to eventually do CDE's and Long Distance Driving. After Mardi Gras (I am hoping to do at least one Mardi Gras parade out of 4 weeks of parades) I am on the hunt for a nice cart.

I'm so damn jealous! I would happily trade our California sunshine for the opportunity to go on a real sleigh ride.

Great pictures!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Great pictures. I miss the snow, too. That looks like a lot of fun.

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Lucky you! We haven't had the *right kind* of snow (yet) to pull the Portland cutter out of the carriage house. We planned on putting the pole on it to use the pair, but that requires a special modification to be engineered - which never seems to be on the top of the To Do list.

In the meantime, for anyone who wants to enjoy a little sleigh ride, here ya go.

Great pictures! Makes me miss driving a little. Hopefully you'll get a lot more days like this!