The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Santa brought me a baby! With pictures!

Santa brought me a baby - and by baby, I mean 2 year old. Bred by one of our very own fantastic COTH'ers, though she lurks more than she posts.

He's by Ironman, out of a TB mare, La Sirenita. Incidentally, his dam is *vaguely* related to my big TB gelding (Pleasant Colony a few generations back), which I'm always a fan of, though it's influence that far back is debatable at best. He's maybe 15.1, 15.2 at best right now but is expected to finish out around 16.2. He's going through an awkward stage right now, but there is clearly a star in there just waiting to shine! Apologies for the mud and dirt, but it's wayyy too cold for a bath right now. He's got two socks behind and a star/snip (for now).

Here's the little guy: Hide
    Cute faces with Mr. Heinz

I'm so excited I could squeal. He's super level headed and has great manners given his age. I suspect he'll keep that fabulous Ironman temperament and be an easy one to start when the time comes (not for quite a while!).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

7 members found this post helpful.

Congrats

Ooh! He's lovely Heinz! Really nicely put together....what are your plans for him?

Congratulations! I know that you are going to be just so happy with your Ironman baby. I have one I adore, and looking forward to another Ironman foal in April.

They have great brains! They learn easily and LOVE to cooperate with humans. I can't say enough about the Ironmans. They do go through growth spurts, so be patient.

This is my Ironrose: http://www.herselffarm.com/IronRose.html

Enjoy and keep us updated.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Ooh! He's lovely Heinz! Really nicely put together....what are your plans for him?
    Why thank you. I know he's a little awkward to look at right now, but all the right parts are there. A little of this, a little of that...hopefully he'll want to be an event horse, although we do also spend a fair amount of time at dressage shows since our eventing season is so minimal here. Maybe some H/J stuff if he shows an aptitude for it, but that's never been my primary focus. He's a cute little mover, not the loftiest but certainly nice enough for anything I'd ever want to do. I'd love to do a Hunter Derby someday, maybe that's a possibility now.

I'd been sort of brainstorming about future prospects for when my big TB decides he's ready for retirement, and when this little one came along I couldn't pass up the opportunity. He'll tag along to some of our outings next year just to get some exposure but otherwise I'm not in any hurry to get him started. We don't have much in the way of FEH stuff out here, either.

Congratulations! I know you had trouble with breeding and were looking at options there. I agree - a bit awkward, but you can still tell good angles and the right parts there. I'm just grateful to see a picture of another awkward 2 year old, as everyone else's 2 year olds seem to look like full grown horses and mine... well, I think she's absolutely lovely, but she's still in awkward phases often as she's growing! I tend to prefer the types who go through more awkward stages once they're full grown, though, for some reason - I suspect because I like smaller bodied types.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I know the feeling, netg. I debated even posting more than a headshot here - he's cute and super sweet, but that awkward phase is a killer. Breeder even said he's been stuck in an "awkward stage" for the last two years (he's 2.5 now!). He was an adorable baby if the pictures are any indication - and should grow into a nice, big boy. He's got pretty good bone as is now, and it seems that most of the Ironman babies I've seen mature to be substantial enough for my taste. If you're superstitious at all, or enjoy reading whorls - he's got a VERY low, centered whorl on his forehead, well below eye level. And another way up on the left (his right) side, about two inches off center between ear & eye. Can't say I've ever seen one of those before, but my other gelding also has a below-eye-level whorl and lives up to the "reading" those have.

This really is the best of both worlds, for me - a lovely, fancy baby that I can start my way without having to deal with the cost and stress of breeding!

Adorable! Congrats.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Why does Santa love you so much more than he loves me?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Why does Santa love you so much more than he loves me?
    Because you have that ridiculously gorgeous boy, Star Colony, sitting in your barn. He had to even up the score!

1 members found this post helpful.

Woohoo!

Is he Oregon born and bred?

I see a lot of "nothing to write home about" where I am, so it's nice to see a fancy baby that will do some Eventing.

And I think you were right to buy one that had survived so much of the Baby Tries To Commit Suicide... By Accident... times on someone else's watch.

My motto is: If a horse is going to destruct and I'm paying the bills, then I'm going to do the destructing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Woohoo!

Is he Oregon born and bred?
    Indeed. We just live right around the corner from the breeder's farm, literally. She did a wonderful job all the way around - he's easy to handle and is polite with the other horses, relatively tidy in his stall and respects the fences. I've heard so many great things about Ironman passing on his great temperament and this guy seems to be no exception; very even keeled.

Tidy in his stall! And don't you appreciate that now that he lives at home?

IMO, the price of the neat horse goes up by about $700 just for that feature alone.

Could you guys just walk over there and get him? Neighbor to neighbor, style?

Or did you find him tied to your fence with a bow on his neck on Christmas morning?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Tidy in his stall! And don't you appreciate that now that he lives at home?

IMO, the price of the neat horse goes up by about $700 just for that feature alone.

Could you guys just walk over there and get him? Neighbor to neighbor, style?

Or did you find him tied to your fence with a bow on his neck on Christmas morning?
    Actually, they (walked) him over here on Saturday, the whole deal wasn't really Christmas-related at all.

That's so dang cute--baby horse being sold and led over to the neighbor's place.

It would have been positively Hallmark Card-worthy had there been snow on the ground, a bow on his neck and some cowboy ponying him. Picture that horse/pair riding up a driveway toward a lighted house. You *know* someone's getting a great Christmas Present.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

eeee soooo cute!!!!! look at that face

I don't think he really looks all that awkward Heinz! Honest . Fairly balanced for a baby, stands evenly over the ground, nice good big bone. He's probably going to be a chunk.

My guy looked like a donkey at 2.5. A sad donkey.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I don't think he really looks all that awkward Heinz! Honest . Fairly balanced for a baby, stands evenly over the ground, nice good big bone. He's probably going to be a chunk.

My guy looked like a donkey at 2.5. A sad donkey.
    Oh, I know, I've seen worse. Compared to the other '10 babies they have, though, he's a little gawky looking. I'm sure he will grow into a big, strapping, lovely boy. I'm in no hurry to get him started, he can have all the time he likes to grow and mature.

He's adorable! Love that expression. Congratulations!