The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To breed or not (TB pedigree) - from a rescue only (for now) person!

I don't know that I will ever breed, because I've always rescued. However, my TB mare (true rescue) is just such an amazing girl - kind, correct, sane, and sound with a gorgeous jump. I've done some digging on her pedigree and some nice names show up (Blushing Groom, Tom Fool, Nearco, etc), but wanted to submit her pedigree to the experts and see what you think? Is she quality enough to consider breeding?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/mindanao+lily

She's not even registered currently - her owner never paid the fees to the breeder or the trainer - hence the true rescue situation. I talked to the owner of Wajir, and if I paid the $2K to JC, they said they'd send in the breeding certificate and have the record to confirm the breeding - trainer owned the dam as well, so I know this is her and her breeding. Most likely, I'll just rescue another when the time comes to get another, but want to explore all options before she's too old to consider it.

And if the lines are nice, who would you consider a good baby daddy? She's a lovely hunter, but I also enjoy dressage, so either outcome. I'm not an eventer, so not really looking to breed for that - h/j and dressage only, since I'm too chicken Thanks in advance!

As a TB, to be honest, I don't see anything that makes me go "Wow!" Her sire stands in Texas for $1,000 http://www.keyranch.com/Wajir.htm

Now, she could be a very lovely mare, in which case I would see about getting her approved in some WB registries, and point her towards getting her a decent show record. THEN I would think about breeding, so as long as she doesn't have any inheritable issues, or conformation faults. Can you post some pics of her?

Two grand is an awful lot of money to get her registered, and I don't believe it's necessary (for some registries, at least.) Oldenburg NA will take mares without proof of pedigree in the pre-mare book, for example.

If she's really a phenom, then find a complimentary stallion and figure out the registration piece at that time.

(Unless, of course, you've really got $2k just lying around )

Here's some old pics I actually have on my computer - back when I'd bought her to sell her. She has always jumped with knees up and even, and tightens below over bigger efforts. These pics were literally less than 6 months after I bought her. She's got more topline now, and has filled out nicely.

I don't plan to spend $2K with JC - most likely going to rescue again and if I find I have money to throw around, I'd likely donate to a rescue like CANTER or New Vocations since I don't have time for more horses right now anyway. Despite how much I adore her, I think I'd feel guilty not using the money spent on breeding, registering, raising, etc. on rescuing horses that otherwise might go for meat prices. Both of my horses are rescues, but this is the first one I bought, and of course part of me would love to have her live on in her babies, but I really doubt I will. I've done some shows, mainly limited due to military career and family, but she's done well in good company at nice, mid level local circuit shows. I know if I pursued it, put us in a program, etc, she'd do well. Her second show ever was in TX, and she got 4th O/F out of 30+ entries in Green Hunters with the local TX circuit against BNT barns, and I didn't even have a trainer - just loaded her up and drove myself the 5 hours to Austin when she was just five, and I was alone! Her mind is her best quality, IMO.

She has Blenheim, Princequillo, etc - lots of "good" names pop up - so just wanted feedback on the possibilities before really deciding 100% against breeding. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169685...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169685...in/photostream

Pretty much any Thoroughbred you pull up is going to have Princequillo or Blenheim. Look at her pedigree and ask yourself--what have you done for me LATELY.

Freebird has already pointed out that her sire stands in TX for $1000--an incredibly paltry sum for a racehorse. He only has 75 foals of racing age, so he's not even getting used. His AEI is 0.41, which is miserable. He is not producing racehorses.

He is also not producing SPORT horses, and there are only three of his produce listed with USEF. Only one has any sort of show record, and it's not impressive.

Your mare's dam had two starts and won nothing, so there is nothing impressive there, either. She has not produced anything that went on to do well at the track. Her sire, Peak Value, has one gelding listed with the USEF with a short, unimpressive record as a hunter.

IOW, there is nothing in your horse's immediate pedigree that screams out that she should be bred--there is nothing particularly notable or particularly rare. There are certainly items in her pedigree that suggest she could be a nice individual--I like Vice Regent, Tom Fool and Blushing Groom--but that is three horses in four generations.

If she herself is a very nice individual that has proven herself, then by all means--find a complimentary stallion and have at it. But know that if you sell the foal, you will be selling it based on the sire's record and the dam's record, not the pedigree of the dam.

There is nothing wrong with breeding a mare that you like to create a foal for yourself. You don't have to rescue every single time. That said, you haven't shown me enough to encourage you to make another of her. She looks nice but not irreplaceable. Definitely don't spend 2k registering her.

Welp, easy enough - not doing the world a disservice in not breeding her, so I'll stick to my rescuing ways

However, it does bring up an interesting thought - when I tried to do some research, all the big TB sport horse names are OLD. Maybe her bloodlines "could" have been as great in the heyday of TBs - maybe the fact that they are out of fashion - we won't ever KNOW if we have some amazing new breeding stock available to us, unless it's an xx in some WB registry? Just a thought.

Regardless, thanks and it is certainly interesting to know she does have some neat names that have produced great horses in the past in there. She's perfect for me, but I'm sure I can rescue another equally wonderful soul from a dire fate - and heck, WAY less trouble and potential disaster than breeding!