The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jumper Breeding Program/MPT - should I take my mare?

I have an Oldenburg mare (pedigree below) that I am considering taking through Hanoverian approvals. I do not intend to breed her any time soon.

I am not a breeder, and I know nothing of breeding, but I want to make sure that if something ever happened to me or my mare that she would be valuable in the eyes of another. So, this is me playing the "what if" game.

She went through ISR/OLD approvals two years ago and did quite well in the MPT. If I took her through Hanoverian approvals I would most likely do the same.

Based on your experiences, how do you think she would fare at the Hanoverian approvals? May she be a candidate for the JBP? Would placing in the JBP make her more "valuable" as a broodmare?

Any thoughts or insights any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/passion30

Her pedigree should definitely qualify her. Keep in mind that they are tough. Mare has to score an average of 8 for her free jumping. IMHO, tough is good. If she passes, it would be a good thing

Thanks!

I'm actually not too worried about the free jumping. She scored unanimous 10's for free jumping at the ISR/OLD approvals a few years ago.

I'm more concerned about the pedigree and the in-hand portion. I'd love to see her be accepted in to the JBP, but I realize that might just be me being a proud and hopeful mama.

Is it smarter to spend the $ on showing (building a performance career) or on seeking a place in the Hanoverian studbook?

Depends on whether you will breed her to AHS stallions in the JBP. If so, it would be worth it, and much cheaper than campaigning her! For the full test, she'd need to be ridden. I think for JBP, she can do the FJ portion. In-hand would be easy, and with her bloodlines, she probably has good enough movement tp pass inspection

If she is a jumper and that is the breeding direction you feel that she would go if she were to become a broodmare, why not present her AHHA?

I am in Illinois. If I looked at the correct info, there are no AHHA approvals within a reasonable distance of me.

If you are only interested in AHS approval to place her in the JBP, I would ask the office to look at her pedigree. Pablo qualifies and I would assume her damsire would, but I'm not sure about Pablito. The missing info in her damline might preclude her from even being eligible for AHS inspection if it truly is unknown and not just left off allbreed.

If you really want to increase her value, I'd spend the money showing and getting a performance record myself. Very few broodmares bring anywhere near the prices that a successful showjumper will. If she does well, you can use her placings in lieu of the MPT and to qualify for the JBP.

Lovely mare, best of luck with her!

Info in her damline is missing from allbreedpedigree. I've submitted it a few times, but it hasn't been applied correctly.
    Not sure what the deal is.

Good to know about the performance record in lieu of the MPT. I wasn't sure if that would apply to non-Hanoverians.

Thank you!

You can edit the pedigree information yourself it doesn't require special membership. Just make sure you have it correct and available before you edit the mares pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghorse View Post
    Depends on whether you will breed her to AHS stallions in the JBP. If so, it would be worth it, and much cheaper than campaigning her! For the full test, she'd need to be ridden. I think for JBP, she can do the FJ portion. In-hand would be easy, and with her bloodlines, she probably has good enough movement tp pass inspection
    To be entered into the JBP, the mare must complete the entire MPT, not just the FJ portion (in the early years of the JBP, the FJ portion alone was sufficient, but that has changed).

A performance record would be considered in lieu of the MPT for all mares with appropriate pedigrees. However, the performance requirements are high - placings at level 7/8.

I don't know enough about the ISR/Old NA performance test/judging to know how this mare would fare in an AHS MPT.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

She has a great jumping pedigree. I say go for it. :-)

I would also recommend getting a professional rider for the under saddle portion of the test. The scores last forever, you want to give her the best chance she can get.

Have fun.

Dan