The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Got the DVD of Roots for Xmas

I read the book when I was in 5th grade. Had it taken away by teachers more than once as they said it wasn't appropriate for my reading level.

I am reading here on off topic how many kids seem behind or are questioned for being advanced. What gives?

We got the DVD (well I did) for Xmas and we're going to watch it. But it was a book I read when I was 12 and I don't think it was inappropriate at all. We just need to ramp up the reading.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

I read the book after watching the miniseries. I was in the 5th grade, also, but the book was never taken away from me. (I don't think the teachers paid all that much attention to what I read, as a rule. Except my math teacher - he didn't like my reading in class. But he quit bugging me when I would produce the homework for the next five chapters after he told me I ought to pay attention so I'd not miss anything.)

Roots is still is a good series, even by today's standards. Both my boys have seen it - I think my younger son was in fourth grade when we rented the series. I wouldn't let him see Amistad then, but Roots is a good way to introduce the subject.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Do you think it's cool for 13 YO and a "young" one at that?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    Roots is still is a good series, even by today's standards. Both my boys have seen it - I think my younger son was in fourth grade when we rented the series. I wouldn't let him see Amistad then, but Roots is a good way to introduce the subject.
    Love Roots and still remember watching it with my mom and brothers when we were kids. It was the first time I ever heard her drop the "F-Bomb"...we were so noisy that she couldn't hear the movie!

Amistad was the first rated R movie my DD ever saw. She was probably 12 years old...and kept asking to see it. We finally relented, rented the video, and watched it as a family. Got about 3/4 of the way through it and she asked "where are the astroids??". She thought she was watching Armegeddon!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I was required to watch it at that age for school. Well, a little before actually, but it's up to you as The Momma-Llama Roo. I don't think it's something that today's kids would like let alone sit still to watch but there are other mini-series they might watch about The Civil War and such.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I remember watching that on tv when I was pretty young, it was new at that time.

I also read above my age level but the only teachers that fussed were the ones that I read through their class.

My younger son was less than 10 when he saw Roots. I was 10 when the miniseries aired and I read the book within a couple of months after seeing the series.

I think the biggest difficulty we had was stopping the film now and again to answer questions that my son had about the story. While we wanted to just enjoy the story, the questions he asked merited our parental time and it was a good, family teaching time for us. He had lessons in that time period in American history, of course, but this made the subject more contemporary for him.

You know your 13 year old, and what would be overwhelming or not. It is a sad film in so many ways, but so very well done. It shows human triumph as well as human evil. I know that there were scenes that went over my son's head (and my own, when I was young) but I never forgot the messages it taught.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom