I was laid off in Nov from a real estate broker's office....
This friday I interviewed for and received a job offer on the spot from a logistics company to work 2nd or 3rd shift dispatch. Staring Pay is not amazing but it's enough, benefits after 90 days are good, seems like there may be room for advancement... Field doesn't really interest me, but I've worked jobs and been very highly successful and productive in fields that I didn't really care about before..... NOT in love with 2nd or 3rd shift as I'm a MAJOR morning person, and it doesn't sound like there will be a first shift opening any time soon to happen into....
My last two jobs have been stressful. I was so stressed out that I came down with shingles (not normal at 28 years old with a fairly healthy lifestyle), multiple kidney infections and developed stomach ulcers. We had monthly staff meetings, and somebody had quit or been fired by the time every single next meeting rolled around.
I have a week window in which to accept this dispatch job
I have a second interview for a chiropractor's office which falls within the window I have to accept the other job. I left the first interview and went to my mom's and the first thing i said when I walked in the door was "I WANT this job". I just got a really good feel about the office and the docs. They have a Boxer who roams the office as a therapy dog....
Now... money was not discussed at the first interview. So I have NO idea what they are prepared to offer or if benefits are even involved....
I know that this job is pretty much a dead end. It's a small office. But it would be nice to be a part of a workplace that has a little more "humane" feeling than my last gigs (Foreclosure Sales and then working for a Real Estate broker who did foreclosure and bankruptcy listings) and not be stressed out and worried sick for a change.
My family staunchly believes that I should take the dispatch job, not even bother with the chiropractor's office because it is dead end.
What are your thoughts on the subject? If by some miracle, the chiropractor's office CAN give similar pay/benefits.... would you take the job that you think would make you happiest now.... or suck it up, hope for good things to happen careerwise with the job that you're just not that keen on.... I'm 29, single, living on my own, support myself, two cats, two rats, and a horse....
You may find that the chiropractor's office, like most of health care, is a high stress job. I work in a clinic. On Friday, my boss was screamed at for over an hour by a large and irrational father of a patient. Last week, a mother threatened to hurt the clinic staff. On Friday, multiple people complained that they waited too long to be seen. The phones rang constantly and there were not enough appointments for all of the people who wanted to be seen. As usual, we took 5 minute lunch breaks, and stayed an hour beyond our scheduled quitting times.
Health care provides some wonderful jobs, but a lot of health care jobs involve low pay, overwork, and high stress. I like what I do, but sometimes I get very tired and frustrated.
What happens if the chiropractor job does not get offered to you? Do you have income saved up from your previous job to support you if you say no to the dispatch job? Is it possible to contact the chiropractor's office to possibly move up your second interview (explain your reasons)?
I've seen this scenario work out both ways. I was offered a job that I was mildly interested in (job #1), but was waiting on my third interview for a job a really wanted (job #2). I said no to job #1 in hopes that I was offered job #2. It worked out for me but I did have to turn down job #1 before the third interview actually happened. This was back in the 90's when the economy was much better.
I have a friend who has had three interviews with a company but for one reason or another, they decided either to either hire from within or hire candidate #2. Remember, they probably have another 2-3 candidates coming back for a second interview. This is a rough job market right now.
Sounds like the chiropractor job is a better fit for you and I sincerely hope you get it. I just wanted to think about all angles here and the potential outcomes of your decision.
Best of luck and let us know how it all turns out!
Simple. At the second interview, make it clear that you've been offered another position but are still interested in this one - ie, what's your offer, chiro office? If you play that right, you'll end up ahead. If the money's comparable, I'd take the job you have a good feeling about, future or no. You can always move on. Moving on is, in fact, the best idea. If your last two jobs were horrors, maybe you need a year or two at a pleasant place to recharge.
Oh, don't worry= I'm not counting on getting the chiropractor job- mostly just playing with hypotheticals... Just trying to have my plan of action in mind if I do get two competing job offers since I will have all of one day to make up my mind left by the time I do the other interview or the first job interview will be expired. I have already followed up with the first job and explained that I am VERY interested in the opportunity presented, but explained in my interview that a friend had really stuck her neck out to help me get this interview so I would like the opportunity to go on it, and the first job allowed me this window of time to do that. Totally prepared to go to work at the first offer if the second one doesn't come through... Second or third shift wouldn't be my cup of tea, but it conveniently DOES leave the morning free for scheduling other job interviews... ;-)