The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've just started running again after a lengthy (but much needed) break of about 5 months.

Prior to my 5 month break, I had spent the year between high school and college working as a "dog runner" during which I was running 13-15 miles with client's dogs 5 days each week. During this time I also ran a few half marathons and prior to that had run a half marathon and in several Hood to Coast relays.

I started running as a teen because my young labrador was CRAZY!!! and found that the two of us really enjoyed running together. Now that he is too old/arthritic to run with me, I find getting motivated to run much harder than when I had a happy dog to run with

I've just started running again after a lengthy (but much needed) break of about 5 months.

Prior to my 5 month break, I had spent the year between high school and college working as a "dog runner" during which I was running 13-15 miles with client's dogs 5 days each week. During this time I also ran a few half marathons and prior to that had run a half marathon and in several Hood to Coast relays.

I started running as a teen because my young labrador was CRAZY!!! and found that the two of us really enjoyed running together. Now that he is too old/arthritic to run with me, I find getting motivated to run much harder than when I had a happy dog to run with

yup, another one here. Played soccer all through HS and college, so running was part of practices, but I was never "a runner." Mr HH picked up running in his late 30s, and did 2 marathons. I just could not comprehend how could he possibly go out and run 6 miles, 14 miles, 20 miles etc. It just seemed impossible.
    But in 2008-2009 a work buddy and I started going for 3-mile walks at lunch. We'd be walking pretty hard, enough to feel like it was a workout, though mainly it was just social/ burning off work stress. But we're both very competitive and before long an unofficial rule developed, that we had to cut one minute off our time each day we went out. Didn't take long before we had to start running our 3mile route to keep cutting time. We had gotten ourselves into good enough shape that the switch to running wasn't hard at all, and our 3miles at lunch turned into 4s and 5s and sometimes 6s. And just like that-- I became a runner.
    When my husband suggested we run a marathon together, I was like no WAY could I possibly run that many miles. He convinced me to give it a try and he coached me all the way through race day. It's amazing how the miles start to add up when training. Early on, a 7miler is your long run, and it's grueling. Every week you just keep adding miles and before long you realize that the 7milers are your easy midweek run, and you've got a killer 16miler ahead of you on Sunday and you have no idea how you'll get through it. And after awhile 16 becomes pretty easy. I mean, ok, it's not "easy" but it's nothing heroic.
    Anyway we ran 2010 Marine Corps marathon in DC together and it was a blast so we signed up for Grandma's in Duluth in 2011. We throw in all sorts of 5ks 10ks and halfs-- they're a fun break from the lonely marathon training.
    After running two marathons side by side with Mr. HH, though, one thing started to become apparent: my husband's a great running coach and all that, but he's really damn slow Our times were 4:37 in DC and 4:23 in Duluth, and in both cases I had lots of gas left in the tank at the end. Based on good finish times at the other race distances, I decided to break out on my own & see if I could go sub-4:00 in the next one. I also had an unspoken secret goal to qualify for Boston, which for my age is 3:55. I didn't say it outloud since I wasn't even sure I could do the 4:00 time. Anyway, Pittsburgh in May 2012 was very hot , by marathon stds-- low80s by the time we finished-- and very hilly. I got pretty dehydrated and didn't manage my fuel intake very well, but managed to stay right on pace for the 4:00 finish time. Decided around mile 19 that I would kick it in and try for the 3:55 BQ time. I absolutely killed myself for the next 7 miles but I made my move too late: I finished at 3:55... and 26 seconds. missed my BQ by 26 freaking seconds. Argh.
    I redeemed myself though in Des Moines this past October, and hit 3:52, so I'll submit an entry for Boston 2014. Not sure if 3:52 is fast enough, though-- the BQ time is just a prerequisite, and from there they take the entries with the fastest times first, until all slots are filled. Doesn't matter in the end, I'm pretty happy with just getting the BQ.
    We're planning to run the 2013 Chicago marathon-- any other COTH marathoners going to be there?

1 members found this post helpful.