The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any other runners?

I took up running once I went to vet school in St. Kitts. There aren't horses to ride like there are in the states. I needed something to do to relieve stress and not gain a bunch of weight after living a very active lifestyle before vet school.

Anyways, now I am addicted!! I love it!

My mom got me a Nike+ tomtom watch for my birthday and its awesome! I can keep track of my pace and how far I have run. Today, I went for a 5.01 mile run! My longest so far, so its exciting.

So, any other runners out there??

Yep....I run everyday....4 miles used to be my "long run"...Now 4-5 is short, 6-7 is normal and 8-10 is my long runs. I try to do 2 longs each week, 2-3 mediums and 2-3 shorts.

LOVE it. We have a gorgeous State Park with incredible trails (basically dirt roads) that I go running in every day.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Nike+ system is great, I liked that it helped keep me motivated by trying to out-do what I had done on my last run.

I love to run, but with a really messed up left knee (grade 2 MCL tear and damaged meniscus) from a horse falling on me a few years ago it is pretty uncomfortable to run on pavement. Treadmills and trails are ok, but I don't have the time in the winter to go to the gym, and I live in Oregon, so trail running gets a bit soggy.

Right now I am trying to keep in shape with skiing and stair climbing. I'd love to get a treadmill at home though.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

I would love to get back into running. I am not a natural runner, so it takes me a long build up to where I feel I can really run more than walk. So, the task to getting to that point can be overwhelming. The trick for me (and probably for most) is consistency, but just the thought of getting started again (yet again) is pretty daunting. That said, I've run many half-marathons and even a marathon in my past, so I know that I'm capable. Just getting to that place where running is, I don't want to say "easy" but, natural takes a while for me.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I run and/or speed walk almost daily, sometimes twice daily, even in winter. In fact, Beethoven, I was doing a distance walk this morning when I slipped and banged my coccyx (just can't stop using that word!). So I took your advice from this morning's thread and picked up a sittin' donut. Feels much better!

Good for you in increasing your distance! St. Kitts sounds like a nice place to take up running.

I run M-F for 3 miles and then ride on the weekends. I've been on hiatus because of a foot injury, but the foot is doing better and I look forward to getting back to my runs! I found Saucony shoes to be my favorite - easy on the pocketbook (since I wear running shoes out so quickly) and the absolute best I've found comfort-wise. I just started walking my running path and look forward to being able to actually run it again!

I started running last September. Started with Couch to 5k and ran my first ever race, a half marathon, in Feb. Ran another half in April, hardly ran through the summer, but started back up in August and ran another half last month (November). I'm signed up for another half in February and my first full marathon in March.

The thought of the marathon still scares me! I ran 16 miles yesterday, and I have NO idea how I could possibly run 10 miles farther than that!

I'm not a natural runner. I run like I'm dragging an anvil! My long run pace is right around 11 minutes per mile. My Tuesday 'pace' runs are at a 9:45 mile. I don't love to run, but I love the challenge of setting and achieving goals.

A 7-8 mile run finally feels easy to me. 13 miles is still rough. Once I get beyond that, my cardiovascular fitness is still good, but my thighs are in agony. I hope that changes over the next 2 months and the quadriceps gain stamina.

My full marathon goal is to finish. I figure I will be crossing the line around 4:45 to 5 hours. My April half marathon goal is sub 2:10.

My Christmas gift to myself was a Garmin Forerunner 410 watch. I love it!
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

I started C25K 6 weeks ago, and so far my longest run has been 25 minutes although at a snails pace...I'm starting to totally dig it and look forward to my "runs"...hoping after the new year to add more days a week. I feel like I've adjusted to running and my knees and ankles feel great so want to keep them that way!!

GLFPRNCS I <3 the description of dragging a anvil behind you, that is totally what I feel like!! ;-)

2 members found this post helpful.

I keep wanting to be one, but I third the anvil descriptor...that's often how I feel! I also find running pretty boring, though outside is tolerable while the treadmill is an exercise in mental endurance haha.

I do have a Garmin (305 maybe?) and I love it..it really does help with my motivation. The last time I was putting any effort into my become a runner attempts my longest runs were 4 miles, and I could get a single mile out in about. 9 mins. I have been itching to start back up... hopefully in the spring!

I did c25k years ago with full success, but I am so unmotivated!

I really want to be a runner. I want that runner high. I want to like it. How do I get it?

Got the shoes. Got the clothes. Got the Nike pod. Got the dog with the stamina. All I need is motivation.

Please listen to your body, runners. My brother and sister both ran marathons- bro ran Boston and NY and many others and Sis ran NY twice- and I was a 5-7x/week 3-5 mile runner for years. We are now all in our 50s and we are all crippled. Bro has had 6 knee procedures and a hip shaving; Sis has had 4 knee surgeries; and I've had 2 knee surgeries and have hip problems. It is probably hereditary-Sis's 2 boys playing on top ranked college lacrosse teams have both had knee surgeries, but still....be cautious and listen to your body. Bro's wife (we call her Secretariat) is in her late 40s and has been an avid runner her whole life, with minor injuries that she heeds and cares for immediately. There are those who can run forever, but I think most of us cannot. I miss it terribly.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I love it! But how do you all increase your distance?? I start huffing and puffing after a mile! I like to think that I'm pacing myself but apparently I'm not. any tricks? I tried the get running app but I feel as though it progresses to fast.

I don't know. I feel that riding is harder on my knees than running ever was. The only issues I ever really had running was some ITB soreness and a little achilles tenderness. Riding more than 30 minutes in jumping length stirrups? Knees are screaming.
    -Debbie / NH

I live on my foam roller, stretch a ton, do yoga on rest days and really do listen when I get tweaky. I know all too well what happens when I ignore my body's warnings.

I agree that riding in jump length stirrups kills my knees....no joint pain from running...yet.

For adding distance, don't be afraid to walk for 15 or 30 seconds as you need it. When I ran 16 miles yesterday, I assure you there were some walks. I just make sure that I pick back up to a jog within a certain time or distance (I.e. next mailbox). Also, I do what I call the 'trot.'. I literally take baby jog steps for 30 seconds or so (and in my head I'm saying, 'trot trot trot.'. I think it is totally mental....I often really don't need to rest my lungs or lower my hr....I just need to stop running for a few.
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!

Double post

The foam roller is great for the ITB.
    -Debbie / NH

Yup - runner here. Actually, I ended up swapping from riding to running (cheaper and easier sport) and now train pretty intensively with a local group (anywhere from 50-80 miles per week, with team workouts on Tues/Fri/Sun).

Having ridden at a decently high level (ribbons in the Junior Jumpers indoors) and also being a somewhat competitive runner (65:30 for ten miles, hoping to break 19 for 5K in the near future), I can say without hesitation:

Riding is the much more challenging sport, and requires a lot more investment in time and toughness. I can't believe how much easier I have it in running.

My nephew is a record breaking college runner on scholarship-he advised my son just getting into running not to do the same distance every day if you wanted to increase. instead of running 3 miles every day, run 2 one day, 4 the next day, 3 the next and so on. He does peak days and then real light days...

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Please listen to your body, runners. My brother and sister both ran marathons- bro ran Boston and NY and many others and Sis ran NY twice- and I was a 5-7x/week 3-5 mile runner for years. We are now all in our 50s and we are all crippled. Bro has had 6 knee procedures and a hip shaving; Sis has had 4 knee surgeries; and I've had 2 knee surgeries and have hip problems. It is probably hereditary-Sis's 2 boys playing on top ranked college lacrosse teams have both had knee surgeries, but still....be cautious and listen to your body. Bro's wife (we call her Secretariat) is in her late 40s and has been an avid runner her whole life, with minor injuries that she heeds and cares for immediately. There are those who can run forever, but I think most of us cannot. I miss it terribly.
    I have been running more than 35 years, pretty much without breaks. I have had 'the usual suspects' - black toenails, sprained ankles, a couple muscle pulls, some tendinitis here and there - but no surgeries. I think the reason I haven't need any surgeries is that I have never run marathons (not even half marathons) and I very rarely train on concrete unless it has rubber mats over it. If I do have to run on bare concrete, I wear well-cushioned shoes and run easy and not more than 6 miles. I change shoes every 500 miles or when they start to feel 'flat'.

I feel running is worth it - my blood pressure is usually around 107/67 and I am not overweight.

People need to know that they can be just as fit and healthy running 5Ks, 10Ks, 5-milers as running marathons, and have a lot fewer injuries. Consistency with a little quality is the real key, not high mileage. And running the shorter distances doesn't take over your life the way marathon running does, leaving time for horses.

The right shoes made all the difference with my running. I hurt myself when I first was getting into it because I tend to over pronate with my right foot. I went to a running store and got on a treadmill and had my gait analyzed. I ended up with an awesome pair of brooks! I love them. Also some orthotic insoles to help me out as well.

The right shoes have no only kept me injury free, but improved my time etc..

I have done 3 5k so far. I am not super fast, but I set goals that I wish to achieve at each one and it keeps me motivated. My next one I really want to break 30 mins! I am really close just need to take 29 sec off my time to get there!

My other goal is to be able to run 6 miles in about 60 mins. I don't have a ton of free time to run, so I usually just stick to around 3 miles. I wish my dog was younger then he could just come with me. I hate hate the treadmill. It's so boring but that's where I get stuck running a lot during the semester. I use an hour break between classes to run in the gym. Hoping with my schedule this semester I can get some more outside running in. I can't stand to do more than 3 miles on a treadmill.

As for motivation, well I sit on my butt all day in class or studying so its a nice mental break and stress relief that it keeps me motivated!

To increase distance do intervals with walking, it really does help. Just slowly build so you don't hurt yourself and keep the pace slow. I started at about 11 min mile and built up from there.

I knew I wasn't the only one in here that was into running. I plan to run for the rest of my life if possible! Helps that my SO is also a runner! We both took it up around the same time even though we live apart most of the year.