The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default J.Crew Very Personal Stylist

Well I'm going to be a Very Personal Stylist at J.Crew! I'm quite excited because I didn't apply for this job the manager hunted me down to take this new postion. I love styling people and really feel like this is my niche Does this service appeal to anybody? There is no additional charge for this service at all.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes! I use it almost every time I shop there now and most of my friends do too.

My personal stylist (José) knows me well now and is SO good at picking out pieces I never would have chosen for myself, but always end up loving. When I was building a big work wardrobe last year, he would having a fully-stocked fitting room ready for me to try on. I'm much more bold with color and feel a lot more put together than I did when I was blindly picking pieces. Surprisingly, I always spend less money too because I give him my budget ahead of time and he seems to nail it every time.

It seems like a fun job. Good luck, and keep us posted!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Yes! I use it almost every time I shop there now and most of my friends do too.

My personal stylist (José) knows me well now and is SO good at picking out pieces I never would have chosen for myself, but always end up loving. When I was building a big work wardrobe last year, he would having a fully-stocked fitting room ready for me to try on. I'm much more bold with color and feel a lot more put together than I did when I was blindly picking pieces. Surprisingly, I always spend less money too because I give him my budget ahead of time and he seems to nail it every time.

It seems like a fun job. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Wow that is great to hear! Thanks

Does this exist at all stores? If so, it's not publicized very well, at least at the two stores where I usually shop.

I would definitely try it, though - I enjoy shopping, have a good sense of what looks good on me, and JCrew is really easy to put together outfits at or figure out what will go with what I already have, but it would be worth trying.

I love J Crew's sales, I found a blouse today for $50 instead of $150.

No extra charge you say? How does it work, someone makes an appointment and you select items? Do you get commission?

I worked in outdoor retail with a company that was VERY service oriented, but no commission for employees. I honestly didn't mind because the pay, perks and people were awesome, but it made me grin when people would tell me they'd make sure to have me put down for the sale/commission. I never expected to enjoy retail/service industry as much as I did!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Sounds like congrats are in order

I've not heard of this service, but I only shop at J Crew infrequently. Sounds neat
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I order a lot of J. Crew just not with a personal stylist....

I never would have dared take my sorry body into Victoria Secret until my daughter drgged me in. I had such a marvellous young lady help me, size me and get everything right. They keep my card for sizes and styles - now no fear of going in there any more. Good service pays off.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I've used this service, too. It's wonderful and I will absolutely be using it again. I really only have the patience to go into the dressing room once.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I can't really see using a stylist (at least not unless I was at a super-high-end department store kind of thing) and I don't shop at J. Crew, but if it sounds like a job you like and you're happy to do it, good for you! And if the manager 'headhunted' you for the job, they must think you're going to be good at it!