The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wedding Music?

I've spent today listening to a variety of music for the ceremony. I know I want to do Canon in D for the processional. Still need to figure out prelude songs, unity candle song, a song to be played or sung while we give our parents/grandparents a rose, and the recessional/postlude. I *think* that covers it. We will have piano for sure, a vocalist, flute on one song, and I'm looking into *maybe* having violin for a few pieces (I ADORE violin).

Anyone have any ideas? I like traditional, I like contemporary, I am religious. Its all up in the air! My problem for the moment is that I LOVE music--I just struggle to narrow things down.

I would really appreciate any input! I'm really enjoying this part of the wedding planning.

ETA...also looking for input on first dance song ideas!
    Friend of bar.ka

I know my parents had this as part of their wedding:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwWL8Y-qsJg

Absolutely! Its at the top of my list for prelude music! An actual for certain choice lol
    Friend of bar.ka

Let's see, for ours we did:

Processional (we had a small wedding so everyone but me walked down to this) - A classical guitar version of "Storybook Love" from The Princess Bride (gorgeous song!)
    Bride - Classical guitar version of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"
    Recessional - Star Wars Theme
    First Dance - Yellow by Coldplay (I reeeeeaaaallly wanted The Luckiest by Ben Folds, but DH wasn't a fan)
    Father/Daughter - My Wish by Rascal Flatts
    Mother/Son - No Other Love by Chuck Prophet

I had the same problem as you -- waaaay too many great songs to choose from!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Greensleeves!!! I LOVE this song!

If I remember my wedding went something like, Greensleeves for DH and Bestman and Maid of Honor, Canon in D for myself ( walk by my father and son!) then some other Mozart song for our walk back up to the house ( we got married on a lake)

Dinner was Frank Sinatra, our dance was I'll Be by Edwin McCain Father/Daughter was...I loved her first by Heartland ( was going to do Bob Carlisle Butterfly Kisses but I love Heartlands version of I Loved her First) and Mother/Son was some rock ballad I can't remember. It might have been Mother by Danzig but that seems a little more upbeat tempo then I remember

The rest was just a shuffle of our iPod, I had no DJ

We used "Hymn" by Bond for the 'walking in' music. It's still one of my favorite pieces, ever. Our first dance was to "Beside You" by Simply Red (one of the songs from 'What Dreams May Come'): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3D9POSqSC8

I really wanted to use Handel's Overture to the Royal Fireworks but I couldn't figure out where to put it. ;-) My high school used Canon in D for.... everything... so although it's lovely, it reminded me of high school way too much to fit in as wedding music.

Oooh I LOVE Handel's Overture to the Royal Fireworks. Also not sure where it could fit though...
    Friend of bar.ka

Personally I'm about ready to invent a time machine solely to hunt down Pachelbel before he writes that freakin' Canon. SO sick of it. (HOW IS THAT CHRISTMAS MUSIC, MANAGER? HOW?) In the event I get married, I'm with SweetTalk, I'd use the Royal Fireworks fanfare for the bride's processional (my friend also used the Great Gate at Kiev, which is good, too). And would want to work in "Fanfare for a King's Supper" (aka "Masterpiece Theater"), probably as the attendants' processional, and Clark's "Trumpet Voluntary" for the recessional.

As an 'old person' who recently attended the wedding of 20-something family members, I would like to suggest using pieces of music that people will recognize. Said bride of said wedding used entirely current / pop pieces for everything .... All the waiting for the bride to get organized music, all the entry / ceremony / leaving music, all the dance music. I felt slightly discomfetted all evening because the traditional sound cues were missing. And it was all LOUD. We were at a table farthest from the sound system and could not carry on a basic conversation with a table neighbor.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

2 members found this post helpful.

I admit it. I love Canon.

BUT...also love the other song choices for processional.

Also adore Trumpet Voluntary for recessional.
    Friend of bar.ka

I walked into James Taylor "You are my only one" and we walked out to Luther Vandross "Here and Now". People still talk about our music and we've been married 22 years!

I love Pachelbel's Canon in D. That said, Mr. Emryss and I *almost* walked down the aisle to Star Wars Imperial March (Darth Vader's "theme") but we decided the older folk in our midst would not understand.

Honestly, I forget what we decided on. It might have been Canon in D. I do remember we danced to "Unchained Melody" and that we had a good time. Mr. Emryss would remember the music much better than I do. He's a better man than I.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Etta James' "At Last". A must.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

We had our choir sing, so I walked in to Burns' "Red Red Rose," which is gorgeous. I am going to have to look up the program to figure out the rest though.

My first wife and I selected Dunstable's Agincourt Hymn.

The organist agreed to play it only on the on condition it was not mentioned in the wedding handouts, because she said she wished nobody ever to know that she'd agreed to play a battle hymn as a recessional at a wedding.

She was prescient. She really was.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

I'm a big music person too, I went traditional for the ceremony:

Handel's Air for the prelude
    Bach's Minute in G Major for the bridal party entrance
    Clark's Trumpet Voluntary for the bride processional
    Purcell's Trumpet Tune for the recessional

Our ceremony was quick and honestly, I don't even remember hearing the music it flew by so fast! We had the DJ do our music for both the ceremony and the reception. He could have been playing the Macarena for my processional for all I remember... and it was only 3 months ago!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I think Crazy Love or These Are The Days by Van Morrison would be lovely first dance songs.

Of course my reception music would swing wildly between Van, Johnny Cash, Queen and 50 Cent so....I may not be the best advisor.

Seriously though, those two songs of his are really wonderful.

I processed to Wagner's Wedding March, and we recessed to a beautiful arrangement of Simple Gifts (Tis a Gift to be Simple?) that the organist at our church wrote himself. We had a full eucharist at our ceremony so sang several hymns throughout the service: Come Thou Fount, For the Beauty of the Earth and O For A Thousand Tongues to Sing. My mom sings in our church choir and one of her friends (who sings opera professionally and sang on Broadway and is just lovely) sang a solo of Fields of Gold by Sting during communion. And OP, I agree with you- planning the ceremony and music were my favorite parts of wedding planning! It made it so meaningful and special for us.

At the reception:

First dance: Can't Help Falling In Love- Elvis
    Father/Daughter: Father and Daughter- Paul Simon