The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Was crossing from Maine into NH one day, and a tractor trailer in front of me hadn't cleared the snow off the top. Much of the snow was scraped off by the Piscataqua Bridge, including some chunks of ice, one of which hit my windshield and cracked it. Thank goodness the windshield held. I was able to catch up to him, get the name of the company off his truck, and call them with my cell phone. They paid for the windshield!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by jump4me View Post
    Ugh, that makes me crazy too. Add me to the camp of people who drives a truck and still manages to get all the snow off and lives to tell the tale.... seriously. It. Is. Not. That. Hard.
    It really isn't. My truck rides higher than most cars. If anything blows off it, it's going to hit the car windows/roof. I don't plan on killing someone just because I was too bone idle to sweep the snow off it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My entire little car was flattened, yes flattened, by a 2' thick slab of ice that came off the top of a box truck that turned a corner toward me. The only part that wasn't squashed was the part above my head, by some miracle. I saw it coming off the truck and thought, hoped, it was snow. This was before the age of camera phones so I don't have a picture of what it did, but the damage was incredible. The guy in the truck did stop. He thought he had killed me. I was two blocks from home headed back to college, but my car was totaled.
    You are what you dare.

with the drought here it isn't snow or ice its the dust blowing off the cars in front of you that blind you

There was a girl killed I think in my state when a sheet of snow blew off the roof of a tractor trailer and landed on her windshield causing her to run head on into oncoming traffic. There actually is a law now that says you have to clean off your roofs but I've seen many semis and cars that don't and they don't seem to get pulled over for it... Oh well. I always leave myself plenty of room if I get behind one of them.

I agree with you 110%. I just don't understand the sheer laziness and rudeness of it. Additionally, I really hate it when people don't turn their headlights on during rain, fog, dusk, etc. Running headlights are NOT the same thing, either. Turning on your headlights also turns on your taillights, which allows the cars behind you to see you better. Inconsiderate or clueless drivers are so frustrating!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Same thing happened on Christmas day,... no rear lights at all on a dark SUV! I blame it on the car manufacturers too who somehow manage to light the dash and people do not think any further! ..
    Yeah, it's the carmakers' fault that people are complete idiots and don't know that there is a green indicator light that displays on the IP when the tail, sidemarker, and parking lights are on regardless of DRL status; BECAUSE THEY DON'T RTFM.

BTW, the indicator light looks like this: http://www.monstercyb.org/gordon/col...-indicator.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    I have to admit that I am ditzy about the different headlight indicators. I can't tell the indicators for the fog lights, parking lights and regular lights apart. Sometimes the only way I can make sure I have the proper lights on is to test the beams.
    Yes, it is SUCH a complicated system.

Try reading the owner's manual and pushing buttons as you read along. You might learn something about your car.

Ugh major, major pet peeve.

If less-than-5-feet-me can completely clean my car off than you can too.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Yeah, it's the carmakers' fault that people are complete idiots and don't know that there is a green indicator light that displays on the IP when the tail, sidemarker, and parking lights are on regardless of DRL status; BECAUSE THEY DON'T RTFM.

BTW, the indicator light looks like this: http://www.monstercyb.org/gordon/col...-indicator.jpg
    I can see someone suing the car manufacturer. Why not? People sue for just about anything... on my 99 suburban, the dash does not light up if the head lights are not turned on... good reminder... but then you have people who would drive without glancing at their dash anyway...
    People do not take driving seriously.. if they did, they would not talk on the phone, text, have things dangling from the mirror, etc.
    If I can't remember what button turns what on, I try then, get out of my car and go and check! Not difficult... I don't use my fog lights if there is no need.

I clean my car off. In fact, I take the snow brush into the office with me so when I go to get into the car, the snow brush is on the outside just like the snow. Saves getting a seat full of snow when you open your door.

About 20 years ago I had a vehicle with a roof rack. One warmish day I was headed to work and every time I would stop, I would hear this weird slidey avalanche sound. Every time I would start the sound repeated in reverse. So here I am puzzling over this anomally when the berg broke loose from the roof rack and a 3' x 6' x 6" slab of ice and snow slid forward onto my windshield.

Lesson learned.

Driving to work this morning I was fuming over the slabs of snow and passing white-outs from cars that weren't cleaned off.

It snowed on Saturday. It is now Monday. You can clean your car off in between football games on Sunday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post

gee, I thought that was a warning that two speeding meteorites were about to collide

And another thing, actually horse related.... drivers have absolutely how freaked out my horse can get when their pickup appears to be on fire because they have a bed full of fresh powder. Couldn't really blame him on that one. It did look like a fire breathing dragon.

Hate that. I always try to clean off all the snow from my car.

How about the transport trucks that don't clean off the tops of their trailers? I've been behind more then a couple of them on the interstate, where they have sheets of snow blowing off the top and hitting cars behind them

Glad to know that I'm not alone in my annoyance!

The no headlights thing drives me nuts too! My truck has a snazzy feature that when you turn the wipers on, the lights turn on too. I love it. I usually just go through the whole, turn truck on, buckle seat belt, turn on lights, and go routine. Then I don't have to worry about it.

I don't get why some people just don't care or are too lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I don't get why some people just don't care or are too lazy.
    Those will be the same people trudging through the snow in furry Sketcher mule shoes and pajama pants. I used to have a coworker like that. Then she would be all cold and whiney all day. Buy some BOOTS. Carry the shoes.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm one of those people. I really can't reach the roof of my car. Even if I swipe at it with say a long snow-shovel I can't get much off. So I just drive slowly bouncing over the speed bumps in the parking lot area hoping it falls off before I venture out onto the regular roads. It only snows here about twice a year so I'm not about to change my system, either.

I was on my way home from the grocery this afternoon, when I saw a car pull into the center turn lane. The front windshield was completely covered with the snow sheet that slide down when the driver braked. I immediately thought of this thread as I pointed and laughed at her stupidity and laziness. Fortunately she was in town and not out on a highway somewhere.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

About 20 years ago I had a vehicle with a roof rack. One warmish day I was headed to work and every time I would stop, I would hear this weird slidey avalanche sound. Every time I would start the sound repeated in reverse. So here I am puzzling over this anomally when the berg broke loose from the roof rack and a 3' x 6' x 6" slab of ice and snow slid forward onto my windshield.

Lesson learned.
    I have a truck with a roof rack now and it is a real pain to get the snow out of it - especially when it freezes. I really miss my pickup!
    When my pickup's bed was full of snow, I would take it someone isolated, drop the tailgate and floor it. The snow would all come flying out in a huge pile. That was fun.
    You are what you dare.