The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Clean off your cars! Please?

I was on my way home for the grocery store today and was getting so annoyed at the car in front of me. They had only cleaned off the bare minimum, leaving the rest to fly off as they drove. The roads are still kinda icky, and the last thing I needed was big chunks of snow and ice splatting on my windshield. I wasn't even tailgating, following by about 2 car lengths... I finally just pulled over and waited about 20 minutes until I was pretty sure I wouldn't catch up with them.

Please take the time to clean all the snow off your cars.

/endrant
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

7 members found this post helpful.

It's one of my pet peeves about wintertime driving, too. Really, how long does it take to get the snow off? It seems to be part of the "it doesn't affect me so why should I bother?" syndrome that seems to affect so many these days.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

It can be very dangerous. A friend of mine was just about to pass a truck on the highway when a huge piece of ice flew off of the truck's roof and shattered her windshield.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Louise, I figure if 5'3 me can get the snow off of my 7ft truck roof, the guy in the Camry in front of me can manage it. He had snow all over his back window still... it would drive me nuts not being able to see!

Sophie, that's my worst nightmare! How terrifying. I hope she was okay?
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

THANK YOU! The people who can't be bothered to thoroughly clean their windshields really burn my bum! Not only can snow and ice fly back at the person behind you, but it's just plain dangerous as far as line of sight. Arrggghhh!
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Over here, the police pull people over if they're driving with covered windows.

I stand in the truck bed and use a soft sweeping brush. Takes maybe five mins and it's done.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

That's how I do it to. Then I can shovel out the truck bed at the same time. To get the front (we have a crew cab and I can't reach all the way up there) I have to stand on the driver's seat, but it's not really that hard.

My guess would be that LEO's would pull people over, but I live in a small-ish town, so the only police presence is(are?) the state troopers that live here, unless a neighbor town gets called in for something specific.

Oh, come on! THis is part of winter driving! Dealing with the douche canoes! LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

I think people that do that are attempting to be cool, and it IS annoying!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

What's snow?

Supposed to get down to 53 degrees later... brrrrr!!!! Thank goodness in a couple days it'll be back to 78.

2 members found this post helpful.

And here I was thinking you were talking about dirty cars. My car is filthy - white car, lots of rain and I live down a long dirt road. Cats constantly climb it as well so dirty little paw prints. Yeah, pretty gross but it's cold and I don't want to wash it. I'll probably find a gas station drive wash when I get around to it.

Not cool, though, to have stuff blowing off your car and hitting other people. Not cool at all.

Yeah, I get all the snow off a big wagon and a minivan, yet my 6'3" stepson showed up today with a pile of snow on the top of his girlfriend's tiny little economy car. One quick swipe with his hand and it would all be off .

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    What's snow?

Supposed to get down to 53 degrees later... brrrrr!!!! Thank goodness in a couple days it'll be back to 78.
    That was my response. I haven't seen snow in these parts but once every 20 years or so.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Ugh, that makes me crazy too. Add me to the camp of people who drives a truck and still manages to get all the snow off and lives to tell the tale.... seriously. It. Is. Not. That. Hard.

It's not just the snow blowing off either. If you haven't bothered to clear your tail lights, how am I to know that you must turn right.now. without warning!

...I'm thinking that you are worrying about it setting on your car like the face-mask?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I don't know about in the US, but in Canada, we have day time running lights. I get so angry at people who do NOT think of turning their lights on at dusk or when the light is poor!!! Yes, the headlights are on, but there is nothing lit on the rear of the vehicle!!

I drove to Montreal on Hwy 401 on the 16th of December. In downpours!!! It was so frustrating so come up behind cars/vans/trucks with no lights whatsoever in the back... or tiny little things covered in mud!!!
    I had my Volvo fog tail lights on and I know I was visible!!

And most of the times, those cars were either white or light gray!! You could guess a shape ahead, but not much else.

Same thing happened on Christmas day,... no rear lights at all on a dark SUV! I blame it on the car manufacturers too who somehow manage to light the dash and people do not think any further!

Also when you clean your car, do not forget to get the snow off your headlights/tail lights...

I'm thinking you are worried that the stuff will harden on your car and not be able to be washed off, like the facemask??
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I was driving down the interstate one morning near Burlington, Vermont, after a snowstorm and who pulls onto the highway but a guy in an old clunker from the 70s. He had cleared away a face-sized hole in the front and rear windshields and the rest was covered with snow. Couldn't believe it.

I put my foot on the gas and went far, far away from that thing.

I have to admit that I am ditzy about the different headlight indicators. I can't tell the indicators for the fog lights, parking lights and regular lights apart. Sometimes the only way I can make sure I have the proper lights on is to test the beams.

You also need to clear the tail, and headlights, plus clear off the front grill or you can overheat the engine too. The clearing only a square foot of the front windshield drives me crazy, and when people like that came on post they were read the riot act too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White