The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    A couple of things about reporting. If you pay a contractor over $600 in a year, you must provide a 1099. .
    that is if the contractor is an individual, not a corporation ... check with your tax advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Do e-bay sellers pay taxes? I haven't when I buy from them.

If the seller is in another state it is your "duty" to report and pay your state's sales tax (if any) to your state .... if teh seller is within your state they are supposed to collect the tax, if any

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It most certainly is not, if you are talking about distributing the tax burden between rich and poor. Sales tax is "regressive", meaning po folks paying their 6% on the Slim Jims at the gas station pay a higher percentage of their income than do rich folks.

And some speaker on TED made the point that the problem with the uber-rich is that there are only so many Slim Jims (or bespoke suits or yachts) one person can buy.

So uber-rich guy buys all he wants, stops, and then puts his money into other stuff. If all goes well, he's a great venture capitalist. If all goes badly, he benefits from a tax code full of holes that favor his type of spending.
    So are you proposing a 100% tax and let the block Chairman hand out our earnings as they see fit ?

That requirement for the 1099 was repealed for the avg citizen. Can you imagine the avg citizen filling out a 1099 for every mechanic, plumber, electrician,farrier, vet, tooth fairy etc? What people do with the money I pay them is their business. I am not and will not be the IRS's policeman. It was a stupid idea floated by big brother.

Canada has a national sales tax, called the GST.Goods and Services tax. In Ontario, we have Harmonized Sales Tax, otherwise known as HST, which right now is 13%. That adds up to a hefty chunk of change to add on to the bill when buying things, especially big ticket items. It's also charged on utilities.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    That requirement for the 1099 was repealed for the avg citizen. Can you imagine the avg citizen filling out a 1099 for every mechanic, plumber, electrician,farrier, vet, tooth fairy etc? What people do with the money I pay them is their business. I am not and will not be the IRS's policeman. It was a stupid idea floated by big brother.
    I wouldn't say "average citizen." If you are self-employed (farrier, trainer, BO, etc.) you must do 1099s.

And again, you make my point. It would be absolutely UnAmerican to prevent people from not reporting all of their income! Tax avoidance/evasion is the American way!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller