The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: The Underground Economy

Who out there would gladly pay cash for goods or services, to save on the taxes, perhaps getting a cash discount as well?
    I'll fess up, I pay my farrier in cash, saves me $35.00 per six weeks visit. I also pay the board on one of my horses in cash as well.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

7 members found this post helpful.

If you're going to avoid your societal responsibility to pay taxes, I'd appreciate it if you'd kindly stop using the roads, hospitals, mail service, etc that I pay for with my taxes. Seriously.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

13 members found this post helpful.

I use cash to get the 'cash discount' at some local small businesses (it costs them money to process cards, so they're often willing to discount a bit if you use cash)......it's especially dangerous when the local tack shop does it

But no, I don't ever do it to avoid taxes.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    If you're going to avoid your societal responsibility to pay taxes, I'd appreciate it if you'd kindly stop using the roads, hospitals, mail service, etc that I pay for with my taxes. Seriously.
    Based on the location in the OP's info, I think we are safe from her using all of out resources without contributing.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

5 members found this post helpful.

I meant the general "you" - the target audience of the thread, not just the OP.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I've never really thought about paying cash to avoid sales tax. My mind tends to be preoccupied with the big chunks taken from my paycheck instead of the cuts every time I buy a pencil. I do try to avoid buying anything in Philly, where I work, since the city has higher sales tax and I'm already forced to pay an obscene city wage tax.

3 members found this post helpful.

Not to avoid taxes, but I pay my hay guy, hoof trimmer, equine chiro and such in cash.

Who takes their checkbook out to the pasture or barn when dealing with the above mentioned?

Cash in the back pocket so much easier.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

US Postal Service is not tax payer supported it is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral...so enjoy all the junk mail you get.

Roads ... gas tax or tolls any more... poor old government can not fund roads unless you live back east then they tax the fly-over people to pay for those roads

Hospitals ... public are county supported by local property taxes in most cases so that's pretty hard to dodge by paying cash

8 members found this post helpful.

While the underground economy is alive and well, it's best not to advertise the fact that you are involved with it, just in case I worked for the tax service...

I never mind paying taxes for all that we get from them, but when I hear of government overspends and poor decisions, it does make me sick.

I do believe in getting all the legal tax breaks one can and try to take advantage of as many as we can.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

If you're posting online about paying cash to avoid taxes ...you're a fool
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

That assumes that the person selling you the product is not recording the sale. As a vendor that pays sales tax, it is my responsibility to collect sales taxes at the time of sale and then make my deposit quarterly. It's not my money. I collect sales taxes on all my product sales regardless of how it's paid for.

As a vendor, you do NOT want to tangle with the sale tax auditors. They make the IRS auditors look like pansies.

Farrier services are not subject to sale tax in our state. Not sure if it is anywhere in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    That assumes that the person selling you the product is not recording the sale. As a vendor that pays sales tax, it is my responsibility to collect sales taxes at the time of sale and then make my deposit quarterly. It's not my money. I collect sales taxes on all my product sales regardless of how it's paid for.

As a vendor, you do NOT want to tangle with the sale tax auditors. They make the IRS auditors look like pansies.

Farrier services are not subject to sale tax in our state. Not sure if it is .anywhere in the US.
    Yes
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I pay for stuff in cash when I can get a discount, yes. Seems silly not to. I also pay in cash for farrier, trainer and my board. This is because others appreciate it and I do it as a courtesy to them.

Even when you pay in cash or receive cash, you are supposed to have a bill of sale backing it up and report it.

Our horseshoer is paid with a check.

Tax evasion crime is no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If you're posting online about paying cash to avoid taxes ...you're a fool
    Please explain.

Wouldn't a true "Underground Economy" be bartering for things?

Maybe I just don't understand this since we have no sales tax in OR.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Even when you pay in cash or receive cash, you are supposed to have a bill of sale backing it up and report it.
    What should happen and what does happen are often two entirely different things.

I'm sure that will stop all the tax dodgers......LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    That is a component of it, but not the only one.

Can't imagine doing it to avoid paying taxes, especially not in Canada where at least some of their taxes go towards paying for their health care ...
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    Please explain.

Maybe I just don't understand this since we have no sales tax in OR.
    Barter is taxable, sorry.