The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Whoa! Why can't the board look like this?!

I ran across this link in a search:

http://vb4test.chronofhorse.com/foru...n-Mighty-Magic

It looks like a test board for our fourms.

Why can't the board we use every day have that format?! It uses the full width of the screen! All of the "post reply" buttons work! Okay, the color scheme is a little boring, but slap our colors on that puppy and call it good

We are continuing to use this format why exactly? I would SO much rather have all of that real estate.

Then where would all the ads go?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

1 members found this post helpful.

That seems to be a test page, not complete with ads, that may be why you like it, but unrealistic without ads.

I agree, we could have a page like that, with the blank spaces on the right squished to make room for the ads.

Oh, I think that is what we already have.

2 members found this post helpful.

That's what most other message boards look like-COTH has the most ad square footage of any other board I read.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm okay with ads! By all means--shove the 3 1/2" of adds on one side. Since that format actually uses the whole screen, that still leaves 15 1/2" of FORUM on my 24" monitor.

Now, the actual forum column is 6 1/2" wide, plus 3 1/2" of ads. The green space on either side fills in the rest. What a massive waste of space

3 members found this post helpful.

You can customize that green extra space on your computer with your own computer programs.
    Mine has a purple field of stars, which came with it and I have not changed it.

I want it gone, and the boards full width. Can I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I want it gone, and the boards full width. Can I do that?
    Depends on your computer, but most have a bit of tab in the bottom corners you can click on and drag to make the screen wider.

Generally, the top part, where you type addresses, is in a field that you can click on and drag around to position your window.

Or, you can go to control and change screen "display" settings there up or down from what the default is.
    I have mine at 1280x800, but some times change it manually with the little right tab and top field ones.

On COTH, that may give me bigger ad field, not pages, so not really that much of an advantage.

Don't be afraid to tweak your computer settings.
    The new computers are very much fool proof, or mine would have quit me long ago.

I don't think you understand what I'm asking for, Bluey--perhaps I am not communicating what I want very well You're talking about how to adjust the size of the window. I always have my browser maximized. I am also not going to use a non-native resolution for my monitor.

I just want to board to actually take advantage of my monitor, instead of being stuck in 1995 with the fixed width crap.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I don't think you understand what I'm asking for, Bluey--perhaps I am not communicating what I want very well You're talking about how to adjust the size of the window. I always have my browser maximized. I am also not going to use a non-native resolution for my monitor.

I just want to board to actually take advantage of my monitor, instead of being stuck in 1995 with the fixed width crap.
    Ok, got it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That is a copy of the forum that runs off the core vBulletin software. Think of it as the actual forum itself. The forum we all use is the vBulletin software wrapped up in the architecture of the Chronicle of The Horse website, so it doesn't and can't display like the various forum copies that are floating around out there. I don't really know why but there are several copies of the forum floating around on the net that seem to be from various backups. The one presented here is just one of them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I have half a screen of forum, and half a screen of white space. (Adblock- no ads here!)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

See I like this. I read another equine forum and their ads are scattered EVERYWHERE. In between posts, on top of posts, on the side of posts...AND the bottom popups are there. Makes for hard reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

*stomps feet* I like COTH the way it is now! It took me long enough to adjust to this slightly new layout!
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Me, too. Wear triple correction lenses and have to constantly move my head back and forth on those wide ones. I also love this board isn't filled up with
    tons of avatars or 15 line signatures.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    See I like this. I read another equine forum and their ads are scattered EVERYWHERE. In between posts, on top of posts, on the side of posts...AND the bottom popups are there. Makes for hard reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by PonyPeep View Post
    *stomps feet* I like COTH the way it is now! It took me long enough to adjust to this slightly new layout!
    Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Me, too. Wear triple correction lenses and have to constantly move my head back and forth on those wide ones. I also love this board isn't filled up with
    tons of avatars or 15 line signatures.
    I like it also, after I tried to read it on an expanded window.
    Just right for me on the thread pages, would like some changes on the ones for the main forums.

I think those are cluttered, the "Started by" and then the name is too much there, the first can go, it is self evident that is who started the thread and easier to find the names scrolling down when that "started by" is not there.
    I would like that blue font a little thinner or less bright or something, seems too strong, gives the page a holographic, harder to ride depth for me, but may not for others.

Other than that, the rest seems to work very well for me and I am glad for others also.

Oh, that standard big blue "post reply" on the bottom left still doesn't work for me.
    I am using the smaller tabs below the posts on the right for that.

The big blue Post Reply doesn't work for me either... I figured out how to work around it but always wondered what it was for if it didn't work!

So Lex is this off the shelf standard software, ther isn't already off the shelf mobile access software? I know you are always asking for it.
    Like this http://download.cnet.com/vBulletin-M...-75338421.html

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    So Lex is this off the shelf standard software, ther isn't already off the shelf mobile access software? I know you are always asking for it.
    Like this http://download.cnet.com/vBulletin-M...-75338421.html
    The forum has to be configured to work with that, which it's not. I am not sure if it would even work with the current COTH configuration since they are using an older vBulletin setup and customized site integration.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

What I miss most of all is that big red dot by my name, that made finding my last post easier, so I could follow from then down the page.
    Now it is a little bitty indistinguishable dot and hard to find.
    It is harder to find where I quit reading last without it.