The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding in NoVa for the winter(2-3) months?

Cross-posting from H/J land:

Hey all. I have read all the threads I've found about boarding in NoVa, I just want to make sure there aren't barns I'm missing. I have a wonderful place I'm boarding at in Clifton right now, but looking to move to a barn with an indoor for the winter (2-3) months to keep my guy going. I'm located in Reston, but don't mind a commute to get to him. I was thinking that Leesburg, Middleburg, Aldie, etc would all be good places to look. He's an OTTB that does the best with lots of turn out. I'd prefer field board with a run in, but if not available he'd need to be out all day. I do need there to be an indoor, as I'd like to keep him going. I don't need something fancy with lots of bells and whistles but I need the care to be good. I don't want to worry if he's getting fed/watered/etc. I do hunter/jumper stuff with him. I do have a bit of a budget, and can't spend more than $700 a month but would prefer it to be around $600 if possible. Thanks so much for any advice/ suggestions you can give me! Please feel free to send a PM.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

bump
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Bump, anyone?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Field board at a facility with an indoor is not that easy to find here because of the amount of land that usually requires. The year I went to a barn with an indoor, board included two lessons and was $800. This was three or four years ago.

There is a place over off Hogsback Mountain Road that might offer field board, and I think there is an indoor. The facility is a West-something. I have no idea what the current board rate is.

I know of places with field board and places with indoors, but none I'd recommend with both in your price range.

I think the Aldie Equestrian Center has both, but I've heard mixed reports. Stonegate has an indoor, don't know about field board (or board price). River Chase has a couple of outdoor rings and field board, but I'm pretty sure no indoor. I boarded there for a while and the rings are usable in pretty much any weather except the very worst.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I would have to agree with the above poster as well. However, there is one place in your price range, but I have never boarded there, only visited it once.

The indoor is tiny though, but again most indoor barns in those areas will be over your price range.

http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=91824

Thanks everyone. I'd be willing to do without field board as long as the care was good and he got out during the day. Does that help at all?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I have contacted River Chase and Union Ridge Eq Center. Haven't heard anything back yet. The phone number for Union Ridge goes right to voice mail.

I had heard that the Aldie Eq Center was under new management? Not sure if that's good or bad.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Never boarded at this one either, or even visited, but did have it recommended to me once:

http://www.windymeadowshorsefarm.com/

Just contacted these folks today. Will try to get in contact with them tomorrow, thanks!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Default boarding

"I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt