The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My horse is the same... but vet coming tomorrow. I will let you know what he finds.
    Trying not to lose my mind...

Well, he's not neuro, just very lame.

Unfortunately, this horse has an old mystery injury to his right hind, which involves bone remottling at the top front of the cannon and a big lump of scar tissue over the peronius tertius tendon. I was aware of this old injury, it has caused problems in the past, like last January when he sprained the PT, had a CT scan a few rounds of shock wave.

Essentially, the diagnosis is that chronic issues up high in the right hind, caused by this old injury, have become acute. The horse has also done a high suspensory on his left front leg from compensating from the right hind. He is also very sore in his left hock from compensating.

My poor horse is in a lot of pain. He fell over when the vet palpated the left front suspensory and then held the leg up for a while after.

The prognosis isn't good sadly. I have a lot to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    In my experience, that does not rule out laminitis. Especially when it occurs in all four feet.
    Katy is right. Ask me how I know. It didn't have a happy ending either.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Judysmom I'm so sorry to hear that despite identifying the issues your horse has, there is no easy answer. Remember this as you weigh the alternatives: whatever you decide is the best decision for you and your horse. There are no "But I should ..." or "But so-and-so did..." or any other considerations. You know your horse better than anyone and you know yourself better than anyone.

And whatever you decide, we're behind you with our hands on your shoulders.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Judysmom I'm so sorry to hear that despite identifying the issues your horse has, there is no easy answer. Remember this as you weigh the alternatives: whatever you decide is the best decision for you and your horse. There are no "But I should ..." or "But so-and-so did..." or any other considerations. You know your horse better than anyone and you know yourself better than anyone.

And whatever you decide, we're behind you with our hands on your shoulders.
    frugalannie, thank you so much for your kind support. It means a lot to me. I am very sad right now, but you are correct, in the end I have to do what's right for my boy. That is what I am struggling with.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    You know your horse better than anyone....
    This is true. When Aisha was ill, the rads of her feet were horrible, I mean truly truly horrible, with dropping and rotation. But her attitude was still good, feisty and sneaky in all her old ways. I fought with (and fired) a vet over it. I sat in the stall with her a couple months later and told her she had to tell me when it was time.

She did . Didn't make it any better, but I know it was right. And that's all we can hope for .
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.