The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Bucas Turnout Rugs

So I posted the thread about medium weight blanket recommendations recently, but I still haven't decided what I want to buy. I really like the look of the Bucas blankets, but they don't seem to be that widely used in this country?

I think I may order their Irish Turnout (50g) now, and then wait for a spring sale to get a nice med weight. Her 200g Rhino will suffice for the rest of this winter if she needs something more than the 50g sheet (likely to be rare. She has a huge coat.) If I can find something on sale later, I'd like their Power Turnout or a Rambo Wug.

Anyone here use Bucas Rugs? Thoughts? Experiences? TIA.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I don't personally because I hadn't heard of them before, but my friend swears by them. She loves their products and has a TO rug that has lasted several years.

I have a couple of the Bucas Power rugs that have been in use for years. They are great blankets. The tricky thing with Bucas can be fit - some styles work for some horses, but not all. The power rugs fit my big shouldered, broad warmbloods well, but were too loose in front on the narrower types. I also have one of the light weight freedom sheets that works for my narrow horse but would never work on the broad chested one that the power rug fits. Come to think of it, I have a few of the Bucas fly sheets as well, and at least one is five years old and still in use...not often fly sheets last that long! Guess I am a Bucas fan.

When the steal of a deal thread here on coth had the bucas power turnouts very cheap, i ordered 2, just because I wanted to try them. Turns out I only got one. It is very nice and fits Hattie well.

I got several of the bucas sun shower turnouts and they are nice, but not for hot summers in the south.

However, I've had rambos for 12 yrs, and I do prefer the rambos since they do not shift like the bucas turnouts do. My 2 horses are up and down a lot both in the pasture and in their stalls. The rambos stay straight. The bucas blankets and sheets shift. But they are still good blankets. Just not bought enough for two warmbloods.

I wish rambo made a sun protective sheet with the material like that in the bucas sun shower. I'd buy 2 instanter.

I've had a Bucas Power sheet for over 10 years. It's starting to look a little ratty, with holes in the tail flap and lining, but it is still waterproof (even during 4 straight days of pouring rain!). While the velvety fabric lining can cause rubs, it is WONDERFUL for throwing on a wet horse-- I've often thrown it on a wet horse outside in the rain, and the horse is toasty and dry in a few hours. The silver color does reflect the sun, and if I'm a bit late taking sheets off on a warm day, the horse wearing the Bucas sheet is rarely sweaty (unlike the foamy sweat under a Rambo). On an unclipped horse, the Power sheet is useful from about 25* up to nearly 60* (depending on sun/wind). It's one of my favorite blankets...it's so useful in a variety of weather conditions, and just as tough/waterproof as Rambo.

After ten years, the neck has stretched a bit; while it used to fit my horse very well, it's now a bit large (even for her big shoulders). As a result, it slips and shifts a little, especially when heavy (wet). Despite that, it doesn't rub her (though it does others) and is still very useful for a horse who lives outside.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I bought an old Bucas turnout sheet at a tack swap that is tough as NAILS. It's so old, it has a woven cotton(?) lining, yet it is still mostly waterproof and fits rather nicely. It does not rub and does not slip, even after my mare tore both the leg straps off it one day. If the new ones were not so expensive, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I have the 50gm Irish Turnout as well. I LOVE it! Sizing is similar to Rambo. All the hardware on the blanket is really nice & super durable. It comes with hind leg straps, but I took them off and just left the surcingle & tail straps like a Rambo. I never had any problem with the blanket shifting or anything like that.

The black & gold color is really nice too!

I'm still using a midweight Bucca I've had for well over 10 years. It's held up extremely well.

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to get the Irish Turnout.

Rodawn, which of the heavier turnouts do you have? I'm torn between the Power Turnout and Smartex? And they also make the Irish in a 300g weight. Decisions decisions. And have you noticed if they go on sale in the spring, like so many others do?

BTW, she wears a 78, and is not generally a hard fit. Some blankets do end up rubbing her shoulders if she wears them a long time.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

i have a Bucas Power Turnout that i bought new three years ago. it's still going strong and my only qualm about it was that when my horse gained weight/muscle the chest wasn't big enough. i bought the small extender which made it fit better but there wasn't enough velcro/whatever to keep it nicely closed. the larger panel extender made it too big in front. *shrug* unfortunately he's dropped weight due to barn changes so it fits well again. (he's in an 81 in the bucas for reference - 17hh large boned TB).

the only reason i decided to put the large lump of $ out for the power turnout was because i found a 2005 Sun Shower turnout sheet/light weight on consignment at the tack store for $40 and i was in need of something that would fit him quickly. i bought that in 2009 and it was relatively perfect - missing one surcingle strap. its still in use and i love it.

i do have a rambo stable blanket for this same horse and will say that i feel the bucas fits better. my other horses (appaloosas) wear Amigo turnout sheets and i've really been pleased with their quality considering the low price. we'll see how that goes in the long run.