The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WTF is wrong with my horse????

What makes a horse go rapidly lamer on all 4 legs? Not Lyme.

So 3 weeks ago horse felt SLIGHTLY off, like .5, on rt hind. Called vet. Vet saw horse a few days later (week and a half ago). Horse flexed positive rt front coffin joint, both stifles. Mildy lame on the lunge, pretty lame u/s. Horse was lamer at vet visit than when I called for appointment.

At that time, vet felt that horse was foot sore and hind end issues were related to compensation. Shock waved both hind suspenories. Made plan to do 2 more shockwave tx and switch to aluminum shoes. At end of shockwave blister stifles. Felt that time off was bad and should do light work. Sent off lyme titer.

Lyme titer negative, treating for it anyway w/ doxy. Started isoxeprene and daily previcox.

Horse has been getting progressively and rapidly worse.

He had been lame, but not god awful, on the lunge, and WAY worse under saddle. U/S he couldn't really trot or canter. Even at the walk he feels wrong. On the lunge he would do all 3 gaits, but was reluctant to canter and would buck alot.

Now, as of yesterday, he is crippled lame on the lunge. He is worse rt hind/ front, but is lame all 4 legs.

Vet is coming back on Thursday. I am so very worried about my poor horse.

Horse is 6, TB, not raced. In work 6 days/ week. Has a topline, does correct work.

Have you tested for EPM?

OOPS posted too soon.

This feels like more than just stifles and sore feet.

Horse had very weak stifles when first brought into work, couldn't trot, but he could CANTER, and he didn't feel lame then.

Got new shoes Friday, not reactive to hoof testers from blacksmith. Was reactive a week and half proir with vet. Got aluminums and full pads.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHennery View Post
    Have you tested for EPM?
    Not yet didn't look so bad two weeks ago.

EPM or another neurological problem would be my guess, too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wouldn't hazard a guess, but jingling for you and your horse!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Laminitis in all four?
    No heat, no pulse, and wasn't reative to hoof testers when reshod on Friday.

That's good. Lyme and EPM would be my next guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    No heat, no pulse, and wasn't reative to hoof testers when reshod on Friday.
    In my experience, that does not rule out laminitis. Especially when it occurs in all four feet.

3 members found this post helpful.

My horse had laminitis and didn't test positive to hoof testers, no pulse and no heat. When the vet tapped the front of her hooves, she was reactive. She was treated for laminitis and she did show rotation on xrays.

Definitely consider EPM as a possibility. My older performance horse did almost the same thing this fall. Not overtly lame but lame all over at the same time. He passed a basic neuro exam but was very body sore and lethargic--this was a horse that had just shown and was very fit. Lyme test came back low positive, EPM (blood test) was in the moderate range. Both of my vets suggested treating for both (I was told a lot of the time they go hand in hand) because of his symptoms. I was supposed to keep him walking under tack but until about two weeks into the meds I couldn't even get him to walk. We treated with doxy and Marquis for two months and the horse is back to feeling like a million bucks. Bloodwork done last week was within normal limits. Best of luck to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

1 members found this post helpful.

I will mention the laminitis suggestion to my vet on Thursday, but honestly, this doesn't look like it or feel like it. And the vet last week did a full lameness exam, including blocks.

The Lyme titer came back negative, but we are treating him anyway. He's been on Doxy for a week and a half now.

The hind end stuff looks up high, kinda stifley, but not really.

I'm really worried about EPM, and spinal stuff. Would kissing spine present this dramatically? I'm a little concerned about how much worse he was when I rode him (don't worry not riding him now) versus how he looked on the lunge. Of course now, he looks awful on the lunge line too.

I'm not sure that kissing spine would present that way but I have had horses present with hind end soreness and a lack of willingness to go forward that ended up having arthritic changes in their necks. If money is not an issue you might consider a full set of neck and back films. For what it's worth my horse looked ok on the lunge (a little stiff) but did not want to even walk with me on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    I'm not sure that kissing spine would present that way but I have had horses present with hind end soreness and a lack of willingness to go forward that ended up having arthritic changes in their necks. If money is not an issue you might consider a full set of neck and back films. For what it's worth my horse looked ok on the lunge (a little stiff) but did not want to even walk with me on his back.
    Yeah, that's the plan I think. Did your horse get better?

Mine with neck arthritis did not. She has also not progressed, though. Long thread about her here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...pdate-post-154

Based on my experience, I wouldn't jump straight to neck problems for your guy, due to his quick progression--that seems to fit EPM far more, I'd think, unless he's had a recent injury to his neck--but I agree that it would be something to investigate if he is not EPM positive.

Yes--if your horse shows arthritic changes in his neck your vet (or one experienced in doing so) can do ultrasound guided injections of the cervical facets in question. The horses that I have known with cervical arthritis all greatly benefitted from them.

Sore on all four makes me worry about Lamintis? If perplexed maybe do a bone scan. Jingles!

I would suggest obtaining xrays for laminits; that is the way to positively dx ...to rule it out. And have an EPM titer done. xrays don't lie!
    Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" Clique

Test for EPM ASAP!
    Jingles for your horse.