The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Pandora bracelet?

Quick back story. My DIL wanted only one thing for Christmas, a Pandora starter bracelet. Her mother promised that would be her gift but in a totally rotten, and completely expected move got her some socks and a pair of pajamas instead.

I wouldn't say my DIL was crushed as that is they type of behavior she expects from her mother but she was let-down yet again. (long story but this a pattern of behavior for her mom)

I feel terrible for her, and my son and I have decided that we will be getting her that bracelet and a charm or two for her birthday in March.

I'm jewelry challenged. So is anyone here familiar with the brand? I searched on-line and I've found some sites that sell the snake chains for about half of what the Pandora store does. Has anyone ever bought from these? Are these authentic items or knockoffs? Does anyone have any experience with the different kind of clasps and what works better? Do they ever go on sale?

I realize this might not be the best audience to ask but I'm hoping someone has some insight. I want to get her what she wants but I'm not at all adverse to bargain shopping since I have a little time.

On a totally selfish note I love giving this kind of gift. Takes the guesswork out of gift giving for a long time. At a loss for a gift? Get a charm.

My DIL prefers silver so she's not asking for anything particularly extravagant.
    Last edited by mswillie; Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: additional info

I have a leather one that wraps twice around my wrist. The metal ones pinched me.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

There are all sorts of variations of the Pandora charm bracelets available these days. Several of the large jewelry chains have their own 'store brands', usually at lower prices. The relevant question for me would be: does DiL really groove on name brand stuff? Or is she happy with store brand stuff?

I have a no-name Pandora-type bracelet and necklace. I have added charms over the years from several different stores. So far the sizing has been standard, so a charm from one fits the bracelet from someplace else. I will admit though, the quality and variety of the Pandora brand is noticeably higher.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I really don't "get" the Pandora thing. I mean, they look ok on the commercials but I don't see the WhooHoo factor.

However, I think it's very nice of you to get your DIL one for xmas. Her mother certainly seems a bit passive-aggressive.
    Last edited by alabama; Dec. 30, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a knock off chain and charms from various places, from Zales to JcPenny. I love it. Each one has meaning which makes it special, but it's not as dangly as the old school charm bracelets. DH likes it because he says he'll never run out of gift ideas!

You are doing a good thing for your DIL. Poor girl!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Ohhhh I LOVE Pandora!!! I'm addicted to them, like that bird(is it a Raven?) that hoards glittery things. I have three, one dedicated to OTTB's. They're great because it provides people with an endless supply of gift ideas. They are pricey, but top of the line, and you can find deals, where you spend so much and get a free bracelet, etc. I get compliments on my Pandora allllllllll the time.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I don't get the whole Pandora thing either but that's not important your DIL loves them and her mother is a nasty cow so good on you for making up for it!! My advice would be to splurge for the name brand bracelet and one special charm and then go ahead and get the knock off charms to add to it.

Nordstrom has the bracelet in sterling silver for only $65:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/pandora-...ch%20Relevence

3 members found this post helpful.

I would recommend the lobster clasp over the snap ones. I had two break right in the store, then asked if I could swap out for the knockoff with the lobster clasp and another charm instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I really don't "get" the Pandora thing. I mean, they look ok on the commercials but I don't see the WhooHoo factor.

However, I think it's very nice of you to get your DIL one for xmas. Her mother certainly seems a bit passive-aggressive.
    I love mine, especially for work. I have about 20 charms, and I can change them about to give a different look every day.

I never noticed these before. They are beautiful!!! I would suggest you buy the name brand since it's a gift she explicitly asked for.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

2 members found this post helpful.

Another thing- once you get the bracelet, gift shopping is really easy for other people- they can just buy a charm to go on it! (The shop I bought mine from holds 'books' for people. It means you can make a wish list of the charms you'd like. Then all the other person has to do is go in and ask to see Kookicat's book, pick a charm from the list and job done. )

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I love mine, especially for work. I have about 20 charms, and I can change them about to give a different look every day.
    Oh, I get that other people "get" it and love them. I think that's great. And I think it's a very nice thing for the OP to give her DIL since the mom promised and then backed out.

Honestly, I think I've been put off by the back to back commercials that saturate the networks where I live. Almost or equal to the "everykissbeginswithkay". If it's not a Pandora commercial, it's a Kay commercial - or a local weight loss place. Agggghhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I would recommend the lobster clasp over the snap ones. I had two break right in the store, then asked if I could swap out for the knockoff with the lobster clasp and another charm instead.
    Thanks for the recommendation. There is a Pandora store close to me in the mall and I'll get it there. The lobster claw bracelet is less expensive but still has the hallmarks on the little hang tag.

Another poster mentioned keeping a book. My DIL is all about lists and being organized. I'm sure she'll find that a great idea.
    Last edited by mswillie; Dec. 30, 2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo

Join their email list and you will get coupon codes sent to you. Definitely helps w/the price.

My daughter has one (Pandora) and loves it. You can so personalize it.. She has her initials and her husband's, her month stone, her favourite animals (dog, horse and bird), the Canadian flag, etc. She just got another one (leather this time) from her MIL with her horse's name and her bird's name spelled out. It is fairly easy to find a gift idea to add to the bracelet.
    She also gave one silver bracelet with 3 charms each to her bridesmaids (3) last year. They loved it and have added to theirs as well.

Can't say I'm particularly fond of the look (or the feel, quite uncomfortable bracelets!), but, I have two. Both given to me by the same person in consecutive years.

I got a set of four beads from Joann's Fabrics (in the button section) for about six bucks, and you can't tell the difference between those and the Pandora ones that came with the bracelet (other than you won't find the SAME choices). Seriously.

So I second the poster who said get the name-brand bracelet and put some inexpensive beads on it. If there's a specific Pandora bead that your DIL wants, maybe splurge on it for a gift sometime.

And yeah, your DIL is so very lucky to have you for a MIL!

Up-at-5, which charms do you have for the Pandora OTTB bracelet? I'd love to have a theme one and think they're really pretty. Is there a lot of variety for horse lovers (because let's face it, 90% of my charms would be horse related!)? I guess I can go and browse the charms myself... off to do that!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post

I confess I don't get it either. It's like charm bracelets only with charms that are harder to identify at a distance? If someone's going to get me jewelry, get me gemstones. (I'm also still working on how exactly that company Stauer does their prices--okay, yes, the DiamondAura is a laboratory diamond-I sell lab-grown gems, they're 'real' and superior to paste and crystal, you just have to identify them, but how do they manage their pricing on their raw emeralds and aquamarine beads? It makes no sense.)

And DIL's mother sounds like a jerk.

I don't know anything about the bracelets, but I just wanted to say what a kind thing to do for your daughter in law.

My Mother in Law is very kind and thoughtful and it means so much to me.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.